Urgent Packing Query!

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that some shipper ship certain hermit crabs with no water, just damp paper towels. I was wondering if the same would be okay for non-hermit crabs like decorator crabs, xanthid crabs, etc. I figured it would be okay since even blue crabs at fish markets live for a long time without any water, but I want a second opinion about this matter before I attempt it - I don't have much time before deciding!

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many things would probably do ok. My question is what is the benefit of not sending them in water? Shipping companies will charge you a minimum weight based on the dimensions of the box regardless so it likely won’t save you any money.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many things would probably do ok. My question is what is the benefit of not sending them in water? Shipping companies will charge you a minimum weight based on the dimensions of the box regardless so it likely won’t save you any money.
I believe that they can produce deadly amounts of ammonia in the small volumes of water without any filtration, so they ship with no water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If the water gets too cold, can cause shock which is why many do not include water.

Krillin it

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species really the decorator is it a hermit or the spider type?

Krillin it

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work for a distributer for tropical fish and we would put brown paper towel and a small amount of water and a heat/ ice pack if it’s going to be in cold areas

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spider type. I'm also wondering for crabs that would look more like a gorilla crab or mithrax crab or xanthid crab or even a box crab. Reason I ask this is that it would be easier to convince security to let these through.

Krillin it

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they don’t bag fish with little bags of carbon in the bag with them to prevent the water in the bag from be coming toxic?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back