Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning friends

Lol wow really guys you two are gonna give me nightmares as it is. If jaws is the scariest movie I have literally ever seen, I’d never sleep if I saw either one of those. I can’t do scary movies, haunted houses, anything like that. I still think that stupid shark is in my fish tank lol. Instead of them saying your gonna need a bigger boat, I’m told I’ll need s bigger tank. I have never watched any movie past pg-13 lol and that was almost too much. Maybe because I work in the er and actually see real severe wounds, but blood doesn’t scare me, lol creepy mean people do, or things.’

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was 10(?). Lol, that was the reason I skipped being interested in becoming a Marine biologist.

Wait whoa whose head was bobbing out of a boat in jaws, I just thought the one guy was eatin, which I kinda skipped watching. Someone lost a head also, now I’ll never sleep.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait whoa whose head was bobbing out of a boat in jaws, I just thought the one guy was eatin, which I kinda skipped watching. Someone lost a head also, now I’ll never sleep.

The sunken boat scene.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in the submerged boat that the shark had apparently sunk.

Those movies I spoke of were back in the 60’s. It was a very different time back then. The average person was more naive about violence. Now that it has become normal for even regular TV programming, I don’t think the movies would have the same impact on audiences today. But for their time, they were shockers. Check out some of Hitchcock’s other movies, like “North by Northwest,” or “Dial M for Murder.” Suspense classics.

Last edited:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in the submerged boat that the shark had apparently sunk.

Those movies I spoke of were back in the 60’s. It was a very different time back then. The average person was more naive about violence. Now that it has been become normal for even regular TV programming, I don’t think the movies would have the same impact on audiences today. But for their time, they were shockers. Check out some of Hitchcock’s other movies, like “North by Northwest,” or “Dial M for Murder.” Suspense classics.
Read a lot of Steven King in high school as he was writing them.

Cuojo by Steven King was the scariest book then movie.
Real life possibilities are way worse than silly ghost stories.

The gory stuff never scared me. Freddie 27, Jason 42, what ever stupid teenager movie was next.....

The unseen creepy suspenseful stuff by oldschool masters like Hitchcock got my arm hairs raised.

But thinking about that dog while growing up in Massachusetts and liking big dogs was the worst!

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny, because I used to enjoy movies, but quit going to see them years ago. Rarely even watch them on TV anymore. They just don’t have actors like they used to. I liked the stars of yesteryear, like: Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman & Steve McQueen - to name just a few of my favorites. I really don’t feel the same about today’s celebrities. Guess I am just an old codger after all. :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny, because I used to enjoy movies, but quit going to see them years ago. Rarely even watch them on TV anymore. They just don’t have actors like they used to. I liked the stars of yesteryear, like: Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman & Steve McQueen - to name just a few of my favorites. I really don’t feel the same about today’s celebrities. Guess I am just an old codger after all. :)

The actors are part of it. The hiring of actors for looks over skill is not necessarily their fault though.

Most of the problem with modern movies is lack of cohesion. Movies were once an art form. Even the corporations that produced and distributed them understood this. They took pride in them and were still able to make a nice profit. Over time though, as each new young generation entered the business, they were rewarded more for profits than art. Eventually, the leadership knew nothing about art, only how to make those profits.

A formula evolved to streamline the whole process and movies became more like a series of sketches. Hit every mark on your checklist: pretty girl, handsome lad, something blows up (guy movie) or a plan falls apart (chick movie), guy or girl depending on which formula figures it out. They take what may have been a good script and then butcher it to fit the formula. They shoot, then edit the individual parts together according to the formula and filling the gaps that would tell the story are not priorities.

Realize though, they too are not to blame. It is the audience that ruined film. There were too many people who still paid to watch the terrible movies and not enough people like @Fin and I that stopped going to theaters to make a difference. The public voted with its wallet and Hollywood listened.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actors are part of it. The hiring of actors for looks over skill is not necessarily their fault though.

Most of the problem with modern movies is lack of cohesion. Movies were once an art form. Even the corporations that produced and distributed them understood this. They took pride in them and were still able to make a nice profit. Over time though, as each new young generation entered the business, they were rewarded more for profits than art. Eventually, the leadership knew nothing about art, only how to make those profits.

A formula evolved to streamline the whole process and movies became more like a series of sketches. Hit every mark on your checklist: pretty girl, handsome lad, something blows up (guy movie) or a plan falls apart (chick movie), guy or girl depending on which formula figures it out. They take what may have been a good script and then butcher it to fit the formula. They shoot, then edit the individual parts together according to the formula and filling the gaps that would tell the story are not priorities.

Realize though, they too are not to blame. It is the audience that ruined film. There were too many people who still paid to watch the terrible movies and not enough people like @Fin and I that stopped going to theaters to make a difference. The public voted with its wallet and Hollywood listened.
I completely agree - and it is exactly the same with the music industry. I also quit listening to popular radio stations. It is all rotten nowadays. So thankful I grew up in the days when Rock n Roll was evolving and there were so many great bands.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Katrina71 lol oh no I’ll buy an extra one for you, so far the line up is you, @Fin @Erica-Renee and the that umm thing in the movie weird science that Bill Paxton plays (but what he is tuned into). My friends can strut to right said fred I’m too sexy :) it will be epic :)

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm a little miffed. I did not get a new dress or the fun stuff.
animated-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm a little miffed. I did not get a new dress or the fun stuff.

We bought you one but @Fin grabbed it and ran.. I am so sorry. As far as the fun stuff. Well fun stuff is much more fun being shared.. Pick up @Sarah24! and come on over. We have ....... Nope not typing that

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back