Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

That is actually my plan I just have to figure out how.
If my stand was a little taller it would be easy but I think I can hang it from the stands support beams going across as long as the weight is not super high.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

That is actually my plan I just have to figure out how.
If my stand was a little taller it would be easy but I think I can hang it from the stands support beams going across as long as the weight is not super high.
That sounds like a perfect plan. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

At least for the moment my fish have shown good signs of improvement from the small ick outbreak. No other fish is showing signs (as of yet) and the two who did have healed and doing better. We know the parasite drops off to reproduce but hopefully my fish have built some immunity to them. The better food has helped and even their color looks better. So definitely crossing my fingers hoping that I’m out of the woods. Granted we know it can lay dormant and can spike any time there is stress. So lol looks like I’m not allowed to stress my fish out. Gosh what a way to bite the hand that feeds you lol.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ll do it a little bit more complicated for you :)

If your UV-C should have a max effect on ich fre swimming parasites - the inlet to the closed lop should be down att the bottom near your fishes night hidding places - outlet - where you want it in the tank

Sincerely Lasse

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your UV-C should have a max effect on ich fre swimming parasites - the inlet to the closed lop should be down att the bottom near your fishes night hidding places - outlet - where you want it in the tank

Sincerely Lasse
Ohh I like that! Good thinking.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

Hello,

That’s a great idea and I can run a soft inlet hose behind my rock work in the middle of the tank. Will have to figure how to get the dc pump to work that way.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry been sick and just haven’t had much energy at all. So update as of the moment the two fish that had ick have cleared and no others have shown signs. I have kept up the same feeding routine which is two full caps of garlic guard, the better shrimp mysis, probiatic flake food and frozen spinerally for taste. It has definitely made them much more eager to eat and they are nice a fat still.

I have made an attempt to make no changes to reduce stress and leave my hands out of my tank. (Much needed now) needs to level my sand bed again and scrape the sides and clean the wave makers. But will do this starting slowly tomorrow since somehow I was lucky to get four days off because of the holiday. Not to mention I have not worked because I have been sick, but the bedroom was about as far as I made it some days.

It would be interesting to see if there is normal ick that needs copper treatment etc and stress ick where something stresses them and they actually fight it off. Do to the fact only two showed signs and it’s been almost two weeks with no other fish showing any Signs makes me think this more and look into research to see what has been documented.

It should be fun to tear down the mountains or sand from the goby once again lol. I’m starting to have an entire mountain range. I have also possibly come to the conclusion that the reason my nitrates stay high is because of my skimmer. I have the eshopps s300 but I have 14 fish and full reef. It may just be over working my skimmer, may have to think about a larger one or adding a second smaller one to balance things out.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was curious as to how often most people clean their wave makers and equipment:(. It’s something I really need to improve on lol. When I have 7 pumps that need it ahhh that’s just bad now it’s in stages. Curious if I can do both returns at once and the wave makers in stages with the gyre. Should only have less flow long enough for me to run all the skin off my elbows.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was curious as to how often most people clean their wave makers and equipment:(. It’s something I really need to improve on lol. When I have 7 pumps that need it ahhh that’s just bad now it’s in stages. Curious if I can do both returns at once and the wave makers in stages with the gyre. Should only have less flow long enough for me to run all the skin off my elbows.
Every 8 months, so, not often lol.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes is good just to observe and wait. Glad it seems to have worked out to the better. With you and your fish. But your observations is in line with many other observations world wide. There is some type of white spots that natuaraly disapaer by them self.

Sincerely Lasse

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I clean the skimmer every 90 days, the gyre every 60 days and the dual returns at the same time every 30 days. I was doing the returns every 60 days, but since I run no filter socks or pads, I have found 30 days works better. I would do the returns at the same time.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes is good just to observe and wait. Glad it seems to have worked out to the better. With you and your fish. But your observations is in line with many other observations world wide. There is some type of white spots that natuaraly disapaer by them self.

Sincerely Lasse

Hello,

To be honest of all of people to say this I’m glad @Lasse you have as well. There those people who I value what they say (most people I do), there is also those who if they mention things to me, I don’t have to pause or question what they say. It’s interesting that when I did my studies and we had sick fish etc, it was really easy to move them etc. however, my own tank, and not having the resources I’m use to makes me super nervous and extremely cautious.

It’s very different (too me at least), where when I did my studies of a disease broke down, we had four person teams, extra tanks etc. I would know exactly what to do and order just like clock work. But with my own tank, it was not that oh let’s do this and this and we are good. It was more of heartbreak and wow I have to pick and choose corals or fish. It’s easy for some to say oh break the tank down and catch them etc. it’s easy to say catch them, except when Boise doesn’t have a single fish trap available. (Guess what I ordered lol). Not to mention I didn’t even have enough salt water stored to make a hospital tank large enough for my fish. I honestly think I would need a 75 gallon tank just to put them in because my naso tang is almost 7 inches long. Plus If I remeber correctly a sick tank should have the proper amounts of copper and everything right off the get go. But as one never knows when this could happen I would have a second tank (no idea where) running 24/7, just in case. That’s if I’m actually able to catch my fish and move them with out causing more stress.

I can say that ripping my tank apart, with all the corals I have would be a major setback. I don’t have enough bins to drain my water into etc to (corals) to get all of the rock out. Plus catching fish in a small tank at times is tasking (using clear bins etc) but in my tank I may as well just jump on in with my swim suit on and go fishing.

The good of this is, it has at least started my brain spinning on how to be more prepared if this happens again. I still am not sure how I’d do a hospital tank at my house where it’s ready at moments notice. I know my lfs has hospital tanks set up, so that’s an option (if I’m off that day and it’s not 2 in the morning etc). I am proud of myself that I didn’t do anything rash and had the help I did. Sometimes even those who are good at it, being patient is hard to do when it’s something you care about deeply.

So lol with that said I am doing very little to cause stress in my tank. Which I really need to clean the wave makers and re do the sand bed. (I just take down the mountains of sand from my goby. But I usually do one side first and then compete it and then do the next side, making sure I don’t go where my fish are. All the corals on my sand bed I just put in a small bin with tank water and then add new water with what I took out. So hoping this will not add stress to my tank because it badly needs to be done.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Lasse explained sometimes the best course is observation of the fish to determine whether to treat or not. I tend to wait and watch as long as normal swimming and eating behavior is present. Glad your fish have turned around. Now you need to get well. Twice in less than 12 months and your down again is a concern to those of us who enjoy your posts and pictures. Doctors seem to make the worst patients! Increase your garlic intake so you can keep those sick patients away from you! Hope you have a great and restful weekend!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

To be honest of all of people to say this I’m glad @Lasse you have as well. There those people who I value what they say (most people I do), there is also those who if they mention things to me, I don’t have to pause or question what they say. It’s interesting that when I did my studies and we had sick fish etc, it was really easy to move them etc. however, my own tank, and not having the resources I’m use to makes me super nervous and extremely cautious.

It’s very different (too me at least), where when I did my studies of a disease broke down, we had four person teams, extra tanks etc. I would know exactly what to do and order just like clock work. But with my own tank, it was not that oh let’s do this and this and we are good. It was more of heartbreak and wow I have to pick and choose corals or fish. It’s easy for some to say oh break the tank down and catch them etc. it’s easy to say catch them, except when Boise doesn’t have a single fish trap available. (Guess what I ordered lol). Not to mention I didn’t even have enough salt water stored to make a hospital tank large enough for my fish. I honestly think I would need a 75 gallon tank just to put them in because my naso tang is almost 7 inches long. Plus If I remeber correctly a sick tank should have the proper amounts of copper and everything right off the get go. But as one never knows when this could happen I would have a second tank (no idea where) running 24/7, just in case. That’s if I’m actually able to catch my fish and move them with out causing more stress.

I can say that ripping my tank apart, with all the corals I have would be a major setback. I don’t have enough bins to drain my water into etc to (corals) to get all of the rock out. Plus catching fish in a small tank at times is tasking (using clear bins etc) but in my tank I may as well just jump on in with my swim suit on and go fishing.

The good of this is, it has at least started my brain spinning on how to be more prepared if this happens again. I still am not sure how I’d do a hospital tank at my house where it’s ready at moments notice. I know my lfs has hospital tanks set up, so that’s an option (if I’m off that day and it’s not 2 in the morning etc). I am proud of myself that I didn’t do anything rash and had the help I did. Sometimes even those who are good at it, being patient is hard to do when it’s something you care about deeply.

So lol with that said I am doing very little to cause stress in my tank. Which I really need to clean the wave makers and re do the sand bed. (I just take down the mountains of sand from my goby. But I usually do one side first and then compete it and then do the next side, making sure I don’t go where my fish are. All the corals on my sand bed I just put in a small bin with tank water and then add new water with what I took out. So hoping this will not add stress to my tank because it badly needs to be done.
I'm very glad your fish seem to be on their way to recovery! Many people are in your position where they get a disease and the amount of work it would take to catch and treat the fish would be monumental. And even if you do, there is no promise that a fallow period will starve all of the parasites out. There is an effort being made within the Fish Disease forums to do a better job helping people manage fish health without relying on medications. We are doing hobbyists a disservice by not better documenting and making available the experience and knowledge from people like @Lasse. You may have noticed that the stickies in the fish disease section have been cleaned up a bit to make room for this new content. That was step one.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very glad your fish seem to be on their way to recovery! Many people are in your position where they get a disease and the amount of work it would take to catch and treat the fish would be monumental. And even if you do, there is no promise that a fallow period will starve all of the parasites out. There is an effort being made within the Fish Disease forums to do a better job helping people manage fish health without relying on medications. We are doing hobbyists a disservice by not better documenting and making available the experience and knowledge from people like @Lasse. You may have noticed that the stickies in the fish disease section have been cleaned up a bit to make room for this new content. That was step one.

Hello,

I totally agree with you on this and more needs to be done as an industry etc. To say I was at best shocked and horrified that there is sooo much mis information, treatment and understanding of marine ick and velvet. It’s worse when often enough it’s been shown in scientific papers (I still have them here on my desk somewhere lol), that most of the time velvet can be an off strain, but neat fact is that usually the amount of copper to kill marine velvet is usually the lethal dosage for the fish. Not to mention it takes different actions depending on which fish species it has hosted. It can lay dormant till it’s habit is actually suitable. It would be fantastic if there was a dye that could be reef safe etc but would highlight the pigment of the parasite and or it’s hardened case etc.

As you pointed out, running fallow may not always work and the fact it’s contagious upon anything wet makes them brutal. In terms of speaking, once can’t be sure even with corals that we buy, there is no marine or ick on them laying dormant. You can’t dip corals in coral, so does this mean everything is a separate system? Granted you can put all the new corals in a separate tank etc for x days, but what’s too say when it’s more habitatable it comes out in ones display tank?

It’s kinda the reason I have been reading more and more and seeing what other things people can do that are safe for all the reef. Even a level one steralizers will kill parasites etc but not 100%, and it would be nice if something could actually be developed to eradicate some of them. So far it has been interesting, and yet made me think of plan b a little sooner than later.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well today since I wasn’t err per say coughing my lungs out I managed to get my gyre and a wave maker in vinegar. All I can say is oh it was sooooooooo gross. So gross that yeah I definitely need to do this more often. Sadly there are still five to go so hoping lol that I did the worst two first the others not soo bad.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As I am cleaning the return pump and wave maker, it made it much easier to clean after soaking for a day. Most of the stuff falls off and I use the high pressure hose on my sink as well. Now just have to finish leveling the sand bed back out, and getting rid of any alage I see. Must say the better food leaves a nice flim of organic matter. Have to clean the glass daily and get a larger cuc.

In order to manage wires I zipped tied them all together (what was I thinking?) after cutting like 20 off I finally have the cords free but now I have massive wire mess lol. Good thing I have little kids coming over the fit back there better than I do and I’m tiny. I really want to find a place for power supplies and cords. Initially I was gonna velco them to the back of the tank glass but sounds like a really stupid idea. Placing them on the floor is just as bad, but the Velcro always peels off and it’s the stuff I can wrap around me and stick myself to the wall or Ceiling. Anyone else have issues on where to stick power supplies and cords per say? I can’t zip tie them because then cleaning them is a night mare.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 8 months, so, not often lol.

Well I have two maxspect gyre 250 and two MP40’s and I take them out and clean them weekly. I change out the sponge over the MP40 s twice a week. Maybe if I ever quit having issues with diatoms I will slow my rolllllll but it’s my thing right now...haha

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have two maxspect gyre 250 and two MP40’s and I take them out and clean them weekly. I change out the sponge over the MP40 s twice a week. Maybe if I ever quit having issues with diatoms I will slow my rolllllll but it’s my thing right now...haha
Weekly ?! I’d quit the hobby if I was scrubbing gyres weekly ! Lol
When I do it though I do a thorough job. I use almost an entire roll of paper towels from scrubbing all the nooks and crannies after an acid soak.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As I am cleaning the return pump and wave maker, it made it much easier to clean after soaking for a day. Most of the stuff falls off and I use the high pressure hose on my sink as well. Now just have to finish leveling the sand bed back out, and getting rid of any alage I see. Must say the better food leaves a nice flim of organic matter. Have to clean the glass daily and get a larger cuc.

In order to manage wires I zipped tied them all together (what was I thinking?) after cutting like 20 off I finally have the cords free but now I have massive wire mess lol. Good thing I have little kids coming over the fit back there better than I do and I’m tiny. I really want to find a place for power supplies and cords. Initially I was gonna velco them to the back of the tank glass but sounds like a really stupid idea. Placing them on the floor is just as bad, but the Velcro always peels off and it’s the stuff I can wrap around me and stick myself to the wall or Ceiling. Anyone else have issues on where to stick power supplies and cords per say? I can’t zip tie them because then cleaning them is a night mare.
I’m having a recent urge to clean my wires up as well. I don’t know how people stick power supplies to walls so easily and so cleanly; I see it in build threads all the time but idk it doesn’t seem that easy. Also physics wise when you wraps cords up super tight like some people have, that throws off a ton of energy, I’m not sure if that’s actually good to wrap them so tight while having them running. It seems like eventually they would heat up so much and be a potential fire hazard. I guess not though ? And it does look good.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back