Urgh seriously.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fuel is Amino and chemipure blue is super reef grade carbon in a nylon bag ready to drop into sump

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Maybe this already exists or ways to tell, but is there away to tell if your corals are starving lol? This may sound like (crazy question and make some wonder about my thought process and how to take care of a reef lol), but in seriousness, one day things are great and the next they are not. What parameters are on,
Nothing has changed and like noted above the mother colony is struggling but none of the fragged sections are that were done quiet some time ago. It wouldn’t be nice if there was a test to check, (they are not like kiddos and say can I have a Twix for breakfast lol). But my tank use to gobble up alk and calcium. I want to get to that point again. I don’t know maybe turn the brights on higher and turn on the center brights? (Note center lights is 100% blue whites are off. Any suggestions @Brew12 and @saltyfilmfolks @Lasse ? Last time I feed reef roids my tank exploded with phosphates and that’s how all this started. Now I just do fuel twice a week and maybe move the ones have issues to other parts of the tank if possible. The forest fire digi mother just happens to be attached to my clam rock soo that’s a nope. My clam is very happy which means maybe it’s getting too much light (the coral). Yet others are higher up and doing just fine. Curious if a coral dip would help!
I´m sorry @Sarah24! - I have not read all of your post and I´m rather lost on your problems for the moment - but what I´m understand - it has stop growing as it did before? It has happen me too - for the moment my tank not work the way I want - I´m not the right person to ask for the moment :). It is a little like an old detective story - you have to puzzle. If something grow very good and suddenly slow down or stop - there is a high chance that this is deficiency-related problem - on the other hand - it can be the opposite too - something suppresses growth :(. Nevertheless - I think that an ICP test could be a good help - if it not give you the obvious answer - its often answer which parameters that are good and you do not need to worry about these. An ICP tests is often a good start in the process. But it is difficult - Just like you - I have corals that going well - not to talk about the clams - and others that do not go well. However - I think I have figured out why some of my euphyllia slowly disappears - the probably reason is moved (my filefish) - but I have still a growth problem with my SPS and chaeto. The last Triton test show good figures for most parameters - the one that was a little out of range have been that before without this stop in growth. I have done around 12 - 15 ICP test during this three years and have give me a very good frame of reference according to different values. At least - it stop me from adding "magical things".

As normal - my advice is - take it slow and use your analytic ability - this is just another patient at the ER that need a prolonged follow up.

Sincerely Lasse

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m sorry @Sarah24! - I have not read all of your post and I´m rather lost on your problems for the moment - but what I´m understand - it has stop growing as it did before? It has happen me too - for the moment my tank not work the way I want - I´m not the right person to ask for the moment :). It is a little like an old detective story - you have to puzzle. If something grow very good and suddenly slow down or stop - there is a high chance that this is deficiency-related problem - on the other hand - it can be the opposite too - something suppresses growth :(. Nevertheless - I think that an ICP test could be a good help - if it not give you the obvious answer - its often answer which parameters that are good and you do not need to worry about these. An ICP tests is often a good start in the process. But it is difficult - Just like you - I have corals that going well - not to talk about the clams - and others that do not go well. However - I think I have figured out why some of my euphyllia slowly disappears - the probably reason is moved (my filefish) - but I have still a growth problem with my SPS and chaeto. The last Triton test show good figures for most parameters - the one that was a little out of range have been that before without this stop in growth. I have done around 12 - 15 ICP test during this three years and have give me a very good frame of reference according to different values. At least - it stop me from adding "magical things".

As normal - my advice is - take it slow and use your analytic ability - this is just another patient at the ER that need a prolonged follow up.

Sincerely Lasse
This is an excellent point. It shows why chasing numbers for things like PO4 and NO3 is often a guessing game. It could be the limiting factor is an element not tested. It is one reason I firmly believe In regular water changes to keep a steady stream of the more minor elements.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So been kinda not on do to some issues that came out of the blue. First being is (anyone know a lot about renting), (I’ll explain later). Secondly after repeated attempts to talk reason into my hoa home owners association, (which failed horribly) I couldn’t handle the stress and choose to move. I’m doing this because where I live (most yards are kinda together) anyway hoa waters plants mows etc. after two weeks went buy and I had a jungle out front, I mowed my yard. Three days later I received a letter and a fine of 5,500 dollars. Literally for mowing grass in front of my house. Which coincidentally I own, and the grass is on my property space. Appealed it to the hoa, and they basically laughed at me and said it’s clear, and you violated it. (Mowing my yard really). Appealed it to a panel judge ( which he told me that the fine is in order. That’s okay I mowed my grass but a 5,500 fine really! That wasn’t in the fine print at all. Which I will appeal this to the Ada county civil court, but why?

Been looking at houses but no way I’ll get approved for another house by having this one. But wow renting is so expensive and most what even allow my tank. The rules for renting are insane and homes half of what I have now are 700 more than my mortgage. Not to mention first and last month, plus deposit which is the same as the monthly rent.

Why did I mow my grass, because it swallowed me whole and I needed a guide to find my front door. But the other reason is according to the panel judge if I move within said time frame (of 30 days), then he would void the fine. It’s probably bad to vent on my own thread not even related but one moving is horrible and two,’I’m terrified of losing my corals and fish.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

So been kinda not on do to some issues that came out of the blue. First being is (anyone know a lot about renting), (I’ll explain later). Secondly after repeated attempts to talk reason into my hoa home owners association, (which failed horribly) I couldn’t handle the stress and choose to move. I’m doing this because where I live (most yards are kinda together) anyway hoa waters plants mows etc. after two weeks went buy and I had a jungle out front, I mowed my yard. Three days later I received a letter and a fine of 5,500 dollars. Literally for mowing grass in front of my house. Which coincidentally I own, and the grass is on my property space. Appealed it to the hoa, and they basically laughed at me and said it’s clear, and you violated it. (Mowing my yard really). Appealed it to a panel judge ( which he told me that the fine is in order. That’s okay I mowed my grass but a 5,500 fine really! That wasn’t in the fine print at all. Which I will appeal this to the Ada county civil court, but why?

Been looking at houses but no way I’ll get approved for another house by having this one. But wow renting is so expensive and most what even allow my tank. The rules for renting are insane and homes half of what I have now are 700 more than my mortgage. Not to mention first and last month, plus deposit which is the same as the monthly rent.

Why did I mow my grass, because it swallowed me whole and I needed a guide to find my front door. But the other reason is according to the panel judge if I move within said time frame (of 30 days), then he would void the fine. It’s probably bad to vent on my own thread not even related but one moving is horrible and two,’I’m terrified of losing my corals and fish.
Very broken world

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s very broken world I’m literally dying. It’s twice as much as my mortgage which is 770 a month which is 4 bedrooms, 2 bath rooms and 1900 sq feet. It’s 1350 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath 1134 sq feet, oh and it’s in crime central of Boise.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

It’s very broken world I’m literally dying. It’s twice as much as my mortgage which is 770 a month which is 4 bedrooms, 2 bath rooms and 1900 sq feet. It’s 1350 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath 1134 sq feet, oh and it’s in crime central of Boise.
Not good. Sounds like very Expensive living

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Does the two baths in your house include the sump?
;Hilarious
Sorry, just trying to cheer you up.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O M G, @Sarah24! ! So sorry to hear of this insanity. I don’t see how anyone could consider what you did as even punishable, much less something deserving a $5,500 fine! This is not right! I hope you can get this resolved.

It sucks now that you have the big tank sitting there waiting for delivery. URGH is right! What a freaking mess. Crossing Idaho off of my places I wanted to visit. :mad:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not the HOA violate your contract by not keeping your lawn up....seems like a possible breach of contract on their part. Maybe you should have an attorney look at that angle. Sorry for the experience. You just can't fix stupid from the HOA. Boise is becoming just like the California they are all moving from.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not the HOA violate your contract by not keeping your lawn up....seems like a possible breach of contract on their part. Maybe you should have an attorney look at that angle. Sorry for the experience. You just can't fix stupid from the HOA. Boise is becoming just like the California they are all moving from.
This was my thought as well. You wouldn't have had to cut it, had they done it in a timely manner. And what in the heck is wrong with cutting your own grass anyway? Time to consult a professional on this one.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOA's are bound by laws. They can't legally levy a fine 3 days after the infraction. You have to be given a 30-day written notice of a meeting to address the fine.

Most HOA fines range from $25-$100. Unless you cut your grass with a flame thrower, a $5,500 fine is beyond unreasonable.

It sounds like moving would be a very bad solution for you. You should definitely seek professional advice since your HOA is breaking the law and you don't want to relocate. You would win this. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOA's are bound by laws. They can't legally levy a fine 3 days after the infraction. You have to be given a 30-day written notice of a meeting to address the fine.

Most HOA fines range from $25-$100. Unless you cut your grass with a flame thrower, a $5,500 fine is beyond unreasonable.

It sounds like moving would be a very bad solution for you. You should definitely seek professional advice since your HOA is breaking the law and you don't want to relocate. You would win this. :)

Hello,

I definitely agree with you I had assumed that a 3 day notice and 100 fine. So the contractor (cutting edge) said they do to me cutting my own grass (will have to take pics), it prevents them from mowing all the yards at once. (Which is lame excuse they ride a lawnmower how hard can it be). Secondly because my yard was out of Uniform, that it causes a undesirable look.

I went in front of a judge saying that yes I mowed my yard because it was long and went two weeks etc. hoa said it’s clear in the by laws and that current landscape can access fees for them to fix it. (Fix it) let it grow another week and mow over it.

Because the judge said I violated the by laws I was subject to hoa fines. Which cutting edge billed the hoa plus terms of violating contract which was then passed to me. When I asked about them violating a contract what was the excuse for not mowing? They simple said we didn’t have enough staff. That’s not my problem, in which the court gave them 2 weeks to become full staffed or lose said contract. I have been pulling my hair out it’s ridiculous. Either way I go (rent it’s about 4500 to start (stupid), plus or move I have closing costs, or I have 30 days to either hire an attorney fight it but just to retain an attorney out of 8 that I called the retainer is from 2500-5000. Most said I would lose because it’s written in the by laws. My proper course was to call the hoa, well I did, no one answered. The hoa literally soaks home owners dry. Leaving your trash can out is 100 fine and after the 3 time in a 24 month period, they can further sanction you. Must have permission to plant flowers or change anything on the front of the home or by the garage. If my niece or nephews leave anything out side the front door it’s a violation. They have nothing better to do that inspect our homes that we are buying and own. Gosh is renting this bad?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Woah! I’m so confused. What exactly are they alleging? Can you send a picture of the letter they sent you? (Pm is fine) I feel like they must be accusing you of damaging someone else’s property. Did you mow over a flower bed or cut down a tree or something that was in the grass? I’ve heard of fines for NOT mowing your grass but not FOR mowing your grass.

How would the lawn company have gotten involved at all anyway? Did you use their lawn mower to mow the grass and mess it up?

It didn’t even cost me that much when I had a water pipe break and had to get my driveway jack hammered up and new concrete laid after they fixed it. I just can’t imagine that the only issue is cutting grass.

Let me know if I can help in some way. I have some close friends who or lawyers. Sometimes a letter on letterhead from a lawyers office makes people realize they’re being ridiculous.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sarah24! How are you doing? I know all of this has to be worrying you sick. You are already not feeling well to begin with. I really hope they come to their senses on this. It is just ridiculously STUPID!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah! I’m so confused. What exactly are they alleging? Can you send a picture of the letter they sent you? (Pm is fine) I feel like they must be accusing you of damaging someone else’s property. Did you mow over a flower bed or cut down a tree or something that was in the grass? I’ve heard of fines for NOT mowing your grass but not FOR mowing your grass.

How would the lawn company have gotten involved at all anyway? Did you use their lawn mower to mow the grass and mess it up?

It didn’t even cost me that much when I had a water pipe break and had to get my driveway jack hammered up and new concrete laid after they fixed it. I just can’t imagine that the only issue is cutting grass.

Let me know if I can help in some way. I have some close friends who or lawyers. Sometimes a letter on letterhead from a lawyers office makes people realize they’re being ridiculous.

Hello,

Yes I can try and pull up the email they sent me and get a copy from the court clerk. Their issue is, I didn’t complain to the hoa. Well I did twice, of course they have no records. I have proof from my phone I called them but they said it could have been anything. (No) they are jerks why would I call them.

Secondly in the hoa it does clearly state lawns and flower gardens trees etc, must have approval to change, must be in the same them and match other town homes . I will have to take pics so it makes sense. Anyway the lawn company said that since my grass is different they have to either mow around my yard and or mow every one else’s much lower. So they said that it’s one yard per house it’s a whole subdivision per say. So there are 16 houses 8 per side all front doors face each other. So they just mow in straight lines. So they are one charging me for that. Then I have a fine for violating the lawn company (which is vague at best in the hoa). Then hoa gets to access the fine and most are 100- some to 500. If you repaint your house green for example they make you change it and it’s huge fine. Anyway because I per the court decided to mow my grass hoa and landscape company bids x amount and that infringed on their business. So went to the first hearing on my own and felt pretty dumb. There is a second hearing on the 22 of sept because I appealed it. Which I’ll get an attorney which is 2500 just to retain. So trying to figure how to best spend 5500 roughly.

Now oddly i threatened to sell the house below market value to bring the others down. They didn’t like that and I actually put it up and had an offer. So according to this I have 30 days to fix this problem. In short per the judge if I move they can’t proceed since I’m out of their district.

At least now I will build or find a home with no hoa and or rent. But rent is more than owning here in Boise. You know letters are bad when even my parents go wait huh. It feels like the hoa and landscaping company are both coming after me. I seriously mowed green grass. Dumped the grass, don’t have a weed eater but mowed most. Didn’t damage any trees or sprinkler heads. Because I’m out of compliance and basically did their job, they feel they lost that amount of money.

@Fin yes I’m going crazy very very crazy. I want a place to be safe and not get harassed or worry. That’s why I bought a house to begin with. They did say if I sold my home with out paying this they would issue a lien on it. I can’t imagine that being good for my perfect credit. So don’t know what to do. If I fight and lose then I pay the fine and their fees. I don’t see how the judge says if I move it ceases, yet they said they can put a lien.

But yes spoke to an attorney and she was 50/50 on saying she could get it reduced or 20% getting it dismissed. I did fail to read that section I have to admit, but come on that much.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I definitely agree with you I had assumed that a 3 day notice and 100 fine. So the contractor (cutting edge) said they do to me cutting my own grass (will have to take pics), it prevents them from mowing all the yards at once. (Which is lame excuse they ride a lawnmower how hard can it be). Secondly because my yard was out of Uniform, that it causes a undesirable look.

I went in front of a judge saying that yes I mowed my yard because it was long and went two weeks etc. hoa said it’s clear in the by laws and that current landscape can access fees for them to fix it. (Fix it) let it grow another week and mow over it.

Because the judge said I violated the by laws I was subject to hoa fines. Which cutting edge billed the hoa plus terms of violating contract which was then passed to me. When I asked about them violating a contract what was the excuse for not mowing? They simple said we didn’t have enough staff. That’s not my problem, in which the court gave them 2 weeks to become full staffed or lose said contract. I have been pulling my hair out it’s ridiculous. Either way I go (rent it’s about 4500 to start (stupid), plus or move I have closing costs, or I have 30 days to either hire an attorney fight it but just to retain an attorney out of 8 that I called the retainer is from 2500-5000. Most said I would lose because it’s written in the by laws. My proper course was to call the hoa, well I did, no one answered. The hoa literally soaks home owners dry. Leaving your trash can out is 100 fine and after the 3 time in a 24 month period, they can further sanction you. Must have permission to plant flowers or change anything on the front of the home or by the garage. If my niece or nephews leave anything out side the front door it’s a violation. They have nothing better to do that inspect our homes that we are buying and own. Gosh is renting this bad?

Yes, renting is that bad. Once you're a homeowner, renting is a demotion in life. ;Joyful

I agree with @Bleigh that this whole mess is confusing. Any lawyer that said you would definitely lose isn't worth his retainer. The fine seems to be totally punitive yet what big crime did you commit??

Is a fine of $5,500 specifically listed in their CC&R? I doubt it.

This makes me appreciate my chill HOA.

Oops, we posted at the same time so you've cleared up some of the confusion. ;Blackeye

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back