Urgh seriously.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I avoid any entanglement with HOA's. Sorry for your stress. By the way why not start watching the people that are part of the association. I would bet they think they are above the letter of the law.

I think they are suffering from Reef tank envy anyway...I know I am...that is why I am here!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A thought just occurred to me . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
By chance, Any Attorney members on this site that can offer advise on this via PM to this person ???

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A thought just occurred to me . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
By chance, Any Attorney members on this site that can offer advise on this via PM to this person ???

If no one responds, i have two close friends that I know would do a favor for me. I talk to both of them nearly every day. One owns his own law firm and the other is a federal prosecutor.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I avoid any entanglement with HOA's. Sorry for your stress. By the way why not start watching the people that are part of the association. I would bet they think they are above the letter of the law.

I think they are suffering from Reef tank envy anyway...I know I am...that is why I am here!
This is a good point, Lowell. I have a friend that once lived in a neighborhood that the HOA was constantly on his back about his landscaping. So, he got a copy of the agreement, read it thoroughly and then went and sat in front of all of the HOA member's homes (quite visibly) and made long lists of everything that was not in compliance with the letter of the agreement. He then presented it to the group as a formal complaint. They finally left him alone.

leeatmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got through this entire thread, from page 1. Took me a few weeks, but I must say it was (and is) a great read.

I only decided to post here because I am a longtime HOA board member (10+ years on two boards including president and treasurer, two different states) and if there's anything I can offer that would be helpful, please ask. Each HOA is different and it can be hard to get around the rules, but there are always things you can try. I have joined boards specifically because I'm not a fan of HOAs and feel like being involved is the best way to counter their worst impulses. :)

---Lee

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got through this entire thread, from page 1. Took me a few weeks, but I must say it was (and is) a great read.

I only decided to post here because I am a longtime HOA board member (10+ years on two boards including president and treasurer, two different states) and if there's anything I can offer that would be helpful, please ask. Each HOA is different and it can be hard to get around the rules, but there are always things you can try. I have joined boards specifically because I'm not a fan of HOAs and feel like being involved is the best way to counter their worst impulses. :)

---Lee
Welcome to R2R!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOA member's homes (quite visibly) and made long lists of everything that was not in compliance with the letter of the agreement.

Tough Break Sara, no one needs this headache. A LFS may know of a reefing Lawyer that could help you out, there are also legal services that can refer you to an affordable attorney. Retainers are for big stuff

When I purchased I deliberately did not want a HOA the twp rules are bad enough. Is your father able to help you look for a home? Sounds like you could use a hand, any family friends a realtor? You may need to locate further out away from
popular and trendy areas, yes its a longer ride but cost and taxes will be easier to get into a nice home that suites your needs.
Best of luck!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

---Lee

Hello,

Wow lol you definitely get an award for reading my thread and thank you it’s means a lot to me. Yes how are not pleasant.

Sorry been quiet I have been wrapping my brain around pretty much everything. So I literally pretty much gave up. I’m just going to sell my home (which is good I alresdy have three offers). But will just rent a place till the home I want the way I want is built. Looking into lots of sections and I’m actually trying to find some where there are no hoa. Despite that they seem to be everywhere but I’ll be more careful. The yard issue is just the camel they broke the straw for me. According to hoa my front yard actually isn’t mine. None of them are so basically it’s aka damage to private property but here are some pics. Didn’t matter the grass grows so fast ot was long the next week and longer now.

So with that said my new tank is on hold until i build my own home. I hired movers to basically move everything and of course the tanks were absolute nope. Trying to hire my lfs to move my tank or aka help me move it. (I have looked at three places all will allow me the tank as long as I reinforce the floor so (gonna have to hire someone else). With that said I wonder if it’s smarter to move the whole tank except my fish. Put them into a qt for a month. I have heard mixed reviews on this and curious to anyone’s advice. One says put the fish right back in and they said rock work will never be close. That’s a huge bummer I really like my rock scape. Because I had that stress ick scare I don’t want to lose any of my fish, I have to realize that I may lose some corals. I am going to use 80% of my water, and then 20% new same rock and all my sand. I was told not to rinse the sand etc. so for those who have moved a 240 size tank that’s a fairly mature reef any suggestions would help. I don’t have to move out till end of sept so I have some time. But I have already started packing, isn’t sad when you start to pack you then only realize how much crap you have. Good grief i have a lot of stuff.

358853AA-D5FD-40E0-8E83-C0B81674C6D5.jpeg 075868F4-21AB-4963-BB31-67B7825AC964.jpeg 55705F81-A08F-4B5E-A06C-4D65D7DE972B.jpeg E71D9DAB-FCBF-40D3-8313-FBBA18776A96.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol @Brew12 lol see my driveway is really like 4 feet long :). But as all can see it’s one big section of aka yards but I did find out the grass next to my drive way is mine. I was curious to why I never saw them back here taking care of it.

@Fin yes definitely need good vibes and a shrink lol. What a nightmare. So my question is a newer home do I have to reinforce the floor or just older homes?

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol @Brew12 lol see my driveway is really like 4 feet long :). But as all can see it’s one big section of aka yards but I did find out the grass next to my drive way is mine. I was curious to why I never saw them back here taking care of it.

@Fin yes definitely need good vibes and a shrink lol. What a nightmare. So my question is a newer home do I have to reinforce the floor or just older homes?
House on a slab should be fine. Pier built (or a house with a basement) would likely be a different story, especially with the 425. We don't have basements here. Water table is too high here. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House on a slab should be fine. Pier built (or a house with a basement) would likely be a different story, especially with the 425. We don't have basements here. Water table is too high here. :)

The new houses don’t have a concerte slab floor like I do now. But the ones I have looked at have the small little crawl spaces and then like every so many feet a cement block island with a 4x4 going up to the floor Joyce. They don’t have basements here. Not sure what you mean by pier built?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new houses don’t have a concerte slab floor like I do now. But the ones I have looked at have the small little crawl spaces and then like every so many feet a cement block island with a 4x4 going up to the floor Joyce. They don’t have basements here. Not sure what you mean by pier built?

If you have a crawl space or a basement it would be pier built. If the floor is not directly on concrete, you’d be best off having an engineer come out and check whether it needs to be reinforced.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been years since I worried about floors supporting a tank. You should have lots of house with daylight basements in the area. The basements are usually concrete slabs. Just start looking in the surrounding hills around Eagle or the foothills around Boise. Most houses with a view have daylight basements. Avoid the tract homes and you should avoid the HOA's as well. Wish you well on your search.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had reset my phone today. The best part is that I could only remeber two phone numbers in my contacts lol, work and my parents. Bad news it took me all day to figure out my login is not my email. (When one forgets their user name and (it just happens to be my name, you know your losing your mind. I kept typing in my email (which i knew), but talk about completely losing my memory.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As some may have figured I’m moving because I just can’t grasp the concept that a hoa can force people to and fine them for what ever they see fit. That’s why after graduation (I bought a home instead of renting). Now I’m renting well I will be here mid sept for 12 months. Luckily putting my current home up for sale ahhh worked. It was on the market for maybe three days and had an offer for what it was listed for. But finding a new home with out an hoa is like finding a human that functions perfectly (yet has no brain).

So with me having to move now (which I hate moving), I serious am thinking just give up for now. It kills me to have a great tank, then move and lose what you have. Lfs helped me the first time and it was a disaster. Sadly they are still the only ones who will help me move it. Even local movers won’t help me move my tank even if it’s dry and I’m paying them to move my crap lol.

Words simply can’t explain how hard this is for me. If I aka have lfs baby sit (well last time as well either they killed, sold or something happened and I lost most of everything. So even if I aka donate everything live except my rock and sand, I don’t even know if they would make that move. I at least will do anything to not let that happen.

So I have 23 days to move everything well pack (and have people load stuff and drop it off. Good news is at least new house is five minutes away. Now if I could just find harry potters wand or convince Merlin, gandolf, anyone with magic to beam my tank over, would be just grand. (Smart phones just make things worse because it always auto corrects and it’s never want I want it say anyway).

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, Sarah. It is just unbelievable that this huge change in your life has been the outcome of you mowing your lawn. What has our society come to? It seems there is less and less common sense in the world today. I am so sorry that this is all happening to you at such a young age. It's a lot to handle.

Taking a break from the hobby may be your only realistic option at this point - or get a much smaller tank, like a 75. You could still enjoy the hobby and have a system that it won't take a team of experienced people to move when necessary. You are very new to your career and you may be moving again. You were already asked to move last year and managed to dodge moving that time. Maybe wait until you are more settled in your life to bring on the big tanks.

I know it will kill you to tear that big beautiful tank down, but Sarah you have a higher calling than keeping aquariums. You still have a lot of very important work ahead of you. Taking care of people is number one in your future. Being able to do that will likely require some sacrifices in your personal life.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a crawl space and had to climb down there and reinforce. Let me know once you are to that point and I can help you out! I like that kind of work!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back