OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, so sorry for your troubles. I don't comment much, but I've been following this thread and you will be missed. Good luck!
:oops:

Hello,

Thanks ❤ A lot and i definitely won’t leave here. I may be like @Fin and have just a dry tank but I have cordinated with the lfs and aquarium to move my tank the 12th. So fingers crossed .

@tdlawdo luckily the other place I applied for basically auto accepted me which has the same cement sub floor. The one that I was first going for needed to be supported. So that’s a huge stress reliever and I will still carry flood insurance and not sure what will happen with my home insurance, they may probably switch it to renters for now.

Sadly I havnt even moved yet and I lost my huge piece of Miami hurricane. I tried to save it and fragged w bunch of it, and no matter what I did they just died on me. :(

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping this transition goes as smoothly as is possible. Fingers crossed for you.
fingerscrossed.gif

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I missed all of this! I'm so sorry Sarah. Please don't give up. I know this is stressful. I know lots of people say get an attorney... it's just going to cost money and drag out the hurt. Most civil law is going to only benefit the HOA. Just dust off your tail and go FORWARD. Sending a big hug your way.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Yeah I will have to figure that out because my tank has sections that grow and work very well. Scared to have them die on me. It’s one thing I have noticed, that corals do not usually like being moved. Crossing my fingers lol

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I’m curious that when I move my tank and rocks they have some gha on them :| can I my little brush and knock it off since I have will have to move the rocks. Yes may take extra time but what better way to make a dent into some of it. Is there something I can treat it with also because it’s gettkng really close to some
Of my nice acros and it will drive me nuts.

So I’m hoping those who follow my thread can help me with something. Once I move my tank obviously everything will be out of it. Now start of summer I had a scare with stress ick. What it be wise to leave my fish out once it’s set up and put them in a copper qt for a month to 6 weeks? Some say yes some say no I trust people here more than I do the lfs on some things.

I had my niece who was as helping me pack some of her things in the room she stays in, and she had this wild hair. It was a precious moment so here is that moment.

CB4DF90D-BAFB-494B-B6AB-C9BF1A0C3618.jpeg C604BE4D-884E-4A89-829A-B0D3211420BD.jpeg FF20D3FF-67CC-4721-8A54-95B1C8B72BD3.jpeg 4D8CDF2D-293B-4520-ACB9-112B6D67C939.jpeg 9D476F87-CCC6-4F9E-8B0E-06F18E66EE2E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Somehow, your rights as a property owner have been violated and I would take this to your state attorney general office and even a couple of news stations and expose them for the ruthless jerks they are and try for compensation of moving costs not to mention stress endured

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow, your rights as a property owner have been violated and I would take this to your state attorney general office and even a couple of news stations and expose them for the ruthless jerks they are and try for compensation of moving costs not to mention stress endured
[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I’m not disagreeing with you and yes this has stressed me out. I have already spoken with an attorney and just have to decide if the retainer fee is worth it. I mean they fined me 5500 and a retainer is 4500. She is pretty confident we could win but they are also a huge hoa with lots of money. Her thought was they could drag this out and I’d be a Ton in attorneys fees and it’s not always a given that a judge will make them reimburse me. The court may tag them for insane fine amounts and cost of moving but that’s less than what I’ll pay for an attorney. I’d love put them out of business but I have never even been in a court room in my life. I have no idea what to think or expect. I’m moving because it will basically void their fine, But still 4500 just to retain and at 250 an hour good lord. Why did I go into medicine, that’s way more than I make and for 26 years old I do really well I’m almost to six digits. But she said it would be much more of this goes to trial. If you win then they void the fine and say sorry but she can’t promise fees because I did actually break the hoa rules (even though they are ridiculous). Would have been nice to know that the grass in front of my home is not mine.
What I hate is I wanted to move anyway because of my 425. But all the houses I have looked at need severe reinforcements on floors. I’m trying to either design or build a house where my main living room floor is a solid cement sub floor (is that what it’s called). But other home contractors would not add reinforcements even if they were still in the beginning stages. So I decided to rent where it’s just three month lease, etc no hoa (it’s more than my mortgage how backwards is that. But working with a higher end builder and they can have a solid cement floor but their homes are about 100,000 more. But I say for 304,000 In Boise they sure look like cookie cutter homes to me. Just a mass build and how much detail goes into these?

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you made as rational a decision as you could here. It would be nice to sue the begeezus out of them, but you were wanting to move anyway. At least this way you are free from the fine and attorney fees / court costs. As the Jimmy Buffett song goes, "Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On." A lesson learned to steer clear of HOAs, if at all possible.

Maybe someone from up north can enlighten me, but what the heck is the deal with contractors not wanting to build a house on a slab up there? That is almost 100% of the new construction down here, even on cheaper homes. Sarah, for $300k down here in Louisiana, you could live in a pretty darn nice house.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

I’m not disagreeing with you and yes this has stressed me out. I have already spoken with an attorney and just have to decide if the retainer fee is worth it. I mean they fined me 5500 and a retainer is 4500. She is pretty confident we could win but they are also a huge hoa with lots of money. Her thought was they could drag this out and I’d be a Ton in attorneys fees and it’s not always a given that a judge will make them reimburse me. The court may tag them for insane fine amounts and cost of moving but that’s less than what I’ll pay for an attorney. I’d love put them out of business but I have never even been in a court room in my life. I have no idea what to think or expect. I’m moving because it will basically void their fine, But still 4500 just to retain and at 250 an hour good lord. Why did I go into medicine, that’s way more than I make and for 26 years old I do really well I’m almost to six digits. But she said it would be much more of this goes to trial. If you win then they void the fine and say sorry but she can’t promise fees because I did actually break the hoa rules (even though they are ridiculous). Would have been nice to know that the grass in front of my home is not mine.
What I hate is I wanted to move anyway because of my 425. But all the houses I have looked at need severe reinforcements on floors. I’m trying to either design or build a house where my main living room floor is a solid cement sub floor (is that what it’s called). But other home contractors would not add reinforcements even if they were still in the beginning stages. So I decided to rent where it’s just three month lease, etc no hoa (it’s more than my mortgage how backwards is that. But working with a higher end builder and they can have a solid cement floor but their homes are about 100,000 more. But I say for 304,000 In Boise they sure look like cookie cutter homes to me. Just a mass build and how much detail goes into these?
[/QUOTE]

I feel like moving will cost far more than the fine. Moving is freaking expensive. Again, I have at least 2, REALLY good friends that I know would send an official letter for free. One I’ve known since we were around 12. He just opened his own law firm and they specialize in predatory schemes... tire companies selling faulty tires, booting companies charging exorbitant fines, etc. wouldn’t hurt to just ask him.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious why your father didn't get involved to help you in this situation. First, a $5,500 fine for mowing a postage-stamp size lawn, then the HOA didn't give you a 30-day written notice of their intent to levy a fine (which IS a law in Idaho), then an attorney trying to charge a retainer that's more fit for DUI than a simple civil matter.

Seems like a lot of people are just piling on and Dad needs to swoop in and kick some rears. ;Joyful

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry it’s been awhile been packing and working so I literately don’t have a life. So I’m trying to look at this in a positive about my rock scape. I can try and mimic what I have now and or change it slightly to make it better. Just not sure what to make better. I’m worried about the right side because it does the absolute best with acros and they grow really good there.

My other worry is maybe it’s me and I’m stressed but do others at times have issues with chalices or lps then sps yet it’s only a select few. I had a huge piece of Miami hurricane which was from my first tank and almost five years old. It slowly died on me over the last two weeks.
Plus my strawberry napalm has started to go down hill.
In my sps only my forest fire digi in the center of my tank is mad. The frags from it on the left and right are super happy. I have to assume it’s not water quality then, but something about that area making it mad.
Which coincidentally my bubble tip hammer is coming back nicely and opening up more and more. I have always wondered if this is just normal in reefing.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was blessed today and cursed at the same time lol. My daring nephews and niece offered to help pack. But it was kinda like herding cats into a swimming pool.
It was really interesting (I move on the 20 roughly, and I told them I would work on the living room and kitchen lol. I said please make sure the little rooms I have for you guys are picked up so I can move their stuff also. I also said that I need to work on my closet and pack things I don’t need. My nephew and niece errrr didn’t quite know what that meant. I simply meant the little Lego sets and (the little remote control cars my older brother gave me could be packed). Well they left those out and decided to pack my entire closet of clothes. Literally every item they packed and they did it the (aka bachelor way lol). All my dresses, work clothes nkce clothes everything hung up came off the hanger and thrown into a box. Whoops. Now I have to unpack three boxes in my old house. But still blessed and honored they helped, just learned that I need to explain that I still have to kinda live here for the next 20 days also.

I’m actually asking if basic power gas water etc will allow me to have two homes under the same name. They first told me no that I have to transfer them from my current home to my new place. So I’m trying to tackle that problem and may have to ask my dad to put them in his name for a month till I can swap them (since theirs are in my moms name).

Not to mention gosh I hate searching for boxes and I can say I have built a nice mountain. Sure hope the power is on when the movers come to load everything and drop it off at my new aka temp home.
As much as I hate moving (it’s in the top of my dislike list, but I had lack of options on my fish tank. I will have to risk moving it and then when the time comes I will build my new house. However, I will probably just set that one up how I want and transfer everything to that one after it cycles. Then either keep my old tank dry and as a back up in the garage or sell it. Because I’m definitely going to try and limit my times moving. But I have the risk of being relocated and kinda hanging on till I know for sure if I want to stay in Boise (probably since family is here), but moving a 240 has to be easier then a 425.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lucky and haven't had to move from one place to another since 1986. Prior to that, with my dad in the Air Force, it seemed like we were uprooting every year or two and moving across the country. Definitely is no fun, especially since you have to do so with a busy work schedule and not much time to get everything accomplished. Hoping that the tank move goes well. That would be my biggest concern as well.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May your move go smoothly and you not lose a thing in your Reef! May the HOA rue the day they caused a great neighbor to vacate! Your old neighborhood just went downhill fast.

Hello,

Thank you kindly ❤️ And yes my neighbors are not happy at all. Some have helped me a little and I have had a lot of them write and complain to the hoa in their actions.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually asking if basic power gas water etc will allow me to have two homes under the same name. They first told me no that I have to transfer them from my current home to my new place. So I’m trying to tackle that problem and may have to ask my dad to put them in his name for a month till I can swap them (since theirs are in my moms name).
Hey Sarah, sorry that things are so rough right now!

This shouldn't be a problem. First, there typically isn't an issue having 2 separate accounts in a single persons name. This isn't that uncommon, especially for people who provide rentals with utilities included.
Your utility should also give you the option to have the utilities turned off at your old place up to several weeks after they turn them on in the new place. This is typically the easiest so I would try it first. It isn't uncommon for people to take several days to do a local move and that they will need power and water at both places during the move.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah, sorry that things are so rough right now!

This shouldn't be a problem. First, there typically isn't an issue having 2 separate accounts in a single persons name. This isn't that uncommon, especially for people who provide rentals with utilities included.
Your utility should also give you the option to have the utilities turned off at your old place up to several weeks after they turn them on in the new place. This is typically the easiest so I would try it first. It isn't uncommon for people to take several days to do a local move and that they will need power and water at both places during the move.

Hello,

Omg @Brew12 im sorry I didn’t even see your post and should have responded sooner. Your correct :) yay, all of them are now on at my new place and will be shutting the ones off at my old one. I have been so busy with work that I have barely had time to pack more. I have so much to do and I had to hire a contractor to reinforce my floor. He personally didn’t think it would matter due to the way this home is built. He said their is a weight bearing wall that the tank goes next to and the floor Joyce run pararrel (omg I can’t spell today), to the tank but each Joyce is only six inches from each other. He said it could easily handle 400 foot pounds per sq foot.
But he told me to make it simple and use two 6x6 3 feet long. Place them at the 3 and 6 foot mark. Then buy four cement slabs that have the 4x4 post thingy in them. Then just measure the distance add 1/8 inch to them and either pound them in or use a floor jack (w a piece of wood as a barrier to lift the floor slightly). I asked him about the expensive food jacks and he said you can but it’s a lot more expensive. He said the wood involved cement slabs materials labor would be under 100 easily. He said the four posts would be plenty for the weight of my tank. (Any one agree?)

@Fin work is literally killing me atm. I move the tank in the 12 and move all big item on the 19th. Was suppose to have tomorrow off and I have to work. I asked for vacation time 7 days worth and they denied do to lack of staff. For once in my lifetime I feel extremely overwhelmed, stressed, frustrated, and instead of sticking up for myself (which I lose most of them time (the way idaho works and why I dislike it so), but no matter what you say it’s never good enough or correct.
Even at work administration people hr literally complained about another worker in front of me as I was working. They are spect so much but pay so little to most:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back