Urgh seriously.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Omg @Brew12 im sorry I didn’t even see your post and should have responded sooner. Your correct :) yay, all of them are now on at my new place and will be shutting the ones off at my old one. I have been so busy with work that I have barely had time to pack more. I have so much to do and I had to hire a contractor to reinforce my floor. He personally didn’t think it would matter due to the way this home is built. He said their is a weight bearing wall that the tank goes next to and the floor Joyce run pararrel (omg I can’t spell today), to the tank but each Joyce is only six inches from each other. He said it could easily handle 400 foot pounds per sq foot.
But he told me to make it simple and use two 6x6 3 feet long. Place them at the 3 and 6 foot mark. Then buy four cement slabs that have the 4x4 post thingy in them. Then just measure the distance add 1/8 inch to them and either pound them in or use a floor jack (w a piece of wood as a barrier to lift the floor slightly). I asked him about the expensive food jacks and he said you can but it’s a lot more expensive. He said the wood involved cement slabs materials labor would be under 100 easily. He said the four posts would be plenty for the weight of my tank. (Any one agree?)

@Fin work is literally killing me atm. I move the tank in the 12 and move all big item on the 19th. Was suppose to have tomorrow off and I have to work. I asked for vacation time 7 days worth and they denied do to lack of staff. For once in my lifetime I feel extremely overwhelmed, stressed, frustrated, and instead of sticking up for myself (which I lose most of them time (the way idaho works and why I dislike it so), but no matter what you say it’s never good enough or correct.
Even at work administration people hr literally complained about another worker in front of me as I was working. They are spect so much but pay so little to most:
This will be very difficult on you, but you will get through it. You are strong, just stressed out right now, as anyone would be. Are your parents helping you out with the move? I wish we could all help you. One of the disadvantages of meeting in a national (well, international) forum, no one is really close enough to you to chip in and lend a hand. Check in when you can and let us know how you are doing.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be very difficult on you, but you will get through it. You are strong, just stressed out right now, as anyone would be. Are your parents helping you out with the move? I wish we could all help you. One of the disadvantages of meeting in a national (well, international) forum, no one is really close enough to you to chip in and lend a hand. Check in when you can and let us know how you are doing.

Hello,

Yeah kinda on my own on this one and it’s not much fun. Family it’s a long story. Both my brothers had to move last month and they both helped pack. So they kinda expect me to ya doe this on my own for some weird reason I’ll never understand. But when I did ask they were almost like disappointed in me.

It could be they are worn out who knows. But just realizing how much one has is crazy insane. I went on a box shopping garbage spree (where you ask Walmart etc for boxes). Found lots and filled lots and it seems odd to pack everything when I’m moving literally one mile away. The movers will move all the boxes beds etc but I have to have time to pack (which that’s the problem), I don’t have time and it’s too hard after working 24 your shifts and work is insane where every staff memeber is grouchy on edge just not okay behavior. Yet in goes unchecked and gosh forbid one says something. I was confronted twice three times today and I didn’t even argue on try. I always beg I don’t wanna hear excuses, or it doesn’t matter what I say it’s wrong. It’s just for example (this whole time is money crap) I hate it. I get yelled at from admin because it takes me longer to do something. I’m shkrt now I feel the pain of my older brother has a tech. Everything says it takes x
Hours and if it’s not done why, your slow etc. maybe they are trying to do a good job and make sure it’s correct. People coming back with the same problem isn’t always a good thing. The term practing medicine really is true lol. I do have the benefit that (I know I’m far from it), they can’t just up and fire someone at my work. Yet I can see why people commit suicide or go insane, anyone aka my brother or others I know can get fired with out even a reason, that’s scary.

So asking them for help is kinda of a no go because they are trying to unpack (Yes I have stolen their boxes lol), and work 6 days a week. Like anyone they are exhausted yet still have to move. I give advice not to burn the candle at both ends and im Guilty been burning both candles with a flame thrower now for two years. I’m running out of wax and sadly I can’t post as much or often because I’m just swamped. Tonight I was just too tired (shut did meet the contractor.),

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Down to one week before the tank move and the contractor is reinforcing the floor sometime this week prior to Thursday and said should take maybe an hour. But that’s a relief now I have to worry about the actual move and really hope I don’t lose any fish, (will probably lose some corals). I have lost a few this past week mainly chalices and my trach. Water parameters are constant but wondering if the nopox is just finally taking a hit.
But it’s an unknown variable, I tried cutting it back and nitrates just go crazy. Like I was worried my blue and green hammer was gonna crash its almost back to normal but lost my Miami hurricane (that was a sad day), and strawberry napalm which I have never found or seen since I have owned it. I have a nice forest fire digi doing just marvelous on the left and right. It was growing like a weed in the center and now I can not keep it from stn. Alk sal, cal, etc all consistent, will have to dose a stronger amount of nopox to drop nitrates, not sure a 30 gallon water change will drop it. Went from like 2 -10 in a day because I skipped a dose.

Nature at its finest, seems the only thing humans can’t control and figure out.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were my tank with random coral deaths, I would absolutely stop dosing nopox. It seems that reefers have a love/hate relationship with carbon dosing. You can be coasting along with everything looking great, then out of the blue, things start receding or dying. A large skimmer and refugium keeps my nutrients at acceptable levels. I'm opposed to adding products that claim to solve husbandry problems.

Stopping the nopox will not hurt your corals. In the last 5 years, I've experimented with carbon dosing 2 different times. When I got tired of keeping up with it, I stopped cold turkey and the corals couldn't care less. Also, nitrates at 10 is a good level. Mine gets up to 25ppm occasionally with no ill effects.
I think with several large fish, trying to obtain very low nutrient levels is unrealistic and your corals are paying the price.

Good luck with the move. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

For those curious on how to reinforce your sub floor when the contractor cancels two days before your move, ahhh well remeber those days in physics and math when we all said when will I ever use this nonsense well today is the day lol.

I will post pics promise and some supplies lol

1.) 4 cement brick slabs (which weigh as much as I do.
2.) 4 large cement bearing brackets that mount to said block.
3.) I used 4x4 treated and rose wood for strength and errrr and was able to get Home Depot to cut them for me. They didn’t give me a very nice look since they had to use a hand saw.
4.) screws and this electric screw drill gun to save you time. Tools to move the adjustments (borrowed brothers tools).
5.) 60 bright green glow sticks and nice flash light and bubble level thingy.

Oh and most important tool and device you need for this ...::::.:....:::::::: One huge Tonka Dump Truck (the metal version lol).
Oh and lots of therapy since crawl spaces are kinda creepy and use clothes you plan on throwing away. :).

Oh in case your wondering why I had so many glow sticks well lol under my house is a maze literally.
I was afraid i couldn’t find my way out and was gonna be stuck down there forever. So I dropped a glow stick about every 12 inches lol. Yes that’s my weakness.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

For those curious on how to reinforce your sub floor when the contractor cancels two days before your move, ahhh well remeber those days in physics and math when we all said when will I ever use this nonsense well today is the day lol.

I will post pics promise and some supplies lol

1.) 4 cement brick slabs (which weigh as much as I do.
2.) 4 large cement bearing brackets that mount to said block.
3.) I used 4x4 treated and rose wood for strength and errrr and was able to get Home Depot to cut them for me. They didn’t give me a very nice look since they had to use a hand saw.
4.) screws and this electric screw drill gun to save you time. Tools to move the adjustments (borrowed brothers tools).
5.) 60 bright green glow sticks and nice flash light and bubble level thingy.

Oh and most important tool and device you need for this ...::::.:....:::::::: One huge Tonka Dump Truck (the metal version lol).
Oh and lots of therapy since crawl spaces are kinda creepy and use clothes you plan on throwing away. :).

Oh in case your wondering why I had so many glow sticks well lol under my house is a maze literally.
I was afraid i couldn’t find my way out and was gonna be stuck down there forever. So I dropped a glow stick about every 12 inches lol. Yes that’s my weakness.
Great story! Sounds like some impressive work. I am glad you found your way out!

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds a bit like the beginning of an Indiana Jones adventure. Good luck today. Crawling under houses is definitely not my favorite thing to do. I am shocked that your brothers and your dad aren’t helping you out with this. I would remember this at Christmas time and adjust my gift selection accordingly. Be careful under there!

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make it out from under the house? I am really hoping that you are done with this and ready for your tank to be moved tomorrow. That would be a big step out of the way. Fingers crossed...
fingerscrossed.gif

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol okay I made it out of my cave under my house thanks to the glue sticks and a Tonka truck. Now I really hope this well works lol. I borrowed some of my brothers tools (while he decided to go golfing. So I had to make do and figured keep it simple. Moving these blocks was no easy task specially in a crawl space. I’m lucky I’m tiny because I could barely fit in there lol.

As promised here are pics (the beams are where the tank will go and centered at 3 feet and 6 feet. My tank is 24 inches wide so the beams are 36 so it will extra 6 inches per side. I placed the holding block directly under the floor Joyce (is that what it’s called), oh and that insulation is so nasty. Anyway the cinder blocks are 8 by 16 with center supports. Then the upper blocks are solid, and the center of the bottom block aligns with the center of where the beam holder is. Yes I am making these names up as I go lol. Once the 4x4 was in I then turned the screw point to put some pressure on the floor Joyce and as you can see I even used a level :).

So this is the result of a contractor canceling on me and I had to use some math and physics. Let’s hope it works. Oh where my tank is going it’s going to sit about 2 feet from the wall, and the left side is supported by a weight barring wall support. If I need more please tell me, but I placed the supports as close as I could to where the tank would literally be above. It’s like playing marko polo down there. Oh I didn’t get a pic of my glow sticks will see if they still glow tomorrow morning lol. But I used two super bright lights and I couldn’t see them where I was placing these.

Oh and lol this reinforcement design is patten pending :). Oh and the little white water pipe :) don’t worry I moved it so it’s not being crushed or hindered :). Took me forever to get the stupid nail out that was holding the water bracket to the floor Joyce. They were sure proud of that long nail sheesh.

5E0F8F13-B064-47F5-8446-01FD7113891A.jpeg 8741C985-A4A3-43F5-BFC9-DC4A05705D19.jpeg 1E6BDFB0-83B4-4337-B8AD-0DC33848977C.jpeg 5FF6081E-F075-4E8D-ACFF-83BEB2AA328C.jpeg ADF165E4-2162-439B-9C2D-3581196B44A0.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have to admit that even though I wore some (pants I didn’t care about and shirt and jacket lol), it wasn’t enough. Oddly as this sounds lol crawling really doesn’t keep a jacket or shirt all the way down on their back. I can’t say I’m too fond of floor insulation rubbing against my back. I was able to crawl hands and knees most of the way (where I placed the supports I had a little more room. But gettting there I had to imitate Gumby and flex and bend around all these darn pipes. I can assure one lol (i know I will have to move again when I either buy or build my new home), but either it’s a cement hard floor only or some one else is getting stuck down there lol. Maybe next time I will hire four contractors and hopefully only one shows up this time around.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really excited for ya! Please post pics of the tank after everything gets settled. I'm very happy things are looking up!

Hello ,

Lol yeah starting to look up and hoping tomorrow goes well. I’m really hoping I supported my floor enough, was think worse case could add another one right in front of the weight barring support wall and another one between the 3 and 6 foot marks so like 4.5 feet.

Watched a lot of you tube videos but they kinda had basements and most of them had a lot more room to work in than I did. However even speaking to people who install hot tubs on decks told me this is more than enough. Need to measure from the top to bottom so I can see how much anything moves before the tank is filled with water. That way each month I can make adjustments if so needed. I may instead add two cement blocks with four sub floor jacks with what I already have. Just add them at the center points of the ones installed now.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! Those cement blocks ARE heavier than you! I can’t believe you did all of that by yourself - with a Tonka truck! I would say that is way more than enough support. You are amazing. And your brother went golfing? :mad:

Hoping the tank move goes well today! At least you have someone doing that for you. Good thing you didn’t have to do all of this in the dead of winter. Good luck!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! Those cement blocks ARE heavier than you! I can’t believe you did all of that by yourself - with a Tonka truck! I would say that is way more than enough support. You are amazing. And your brother went golfing? :mad:

Hoping the tank move goes well today! At least you have someone doing that for you. Good thing you didn’t have to do all of this in the dead of winter. Good luck!

Hello,

Ahhhhh yes those cement blocks kicked my behind,
As I’m definitely sore all over lol. The Tonka truck and a basic lever helped me stack them. The ground ones I cheated on, I basically flipped them from end to end to the locations. Then second series used them in the truck and used a bar to push against them and the truck technically. (Why that one is the metal version (non plastic like the ones today). But given the weight it wasn’t enough to damage it a lot. The top blocks were the ones that gave me a lot more problems because of weight. There are two top ones and they are solid through out. The bottom ones are kinda like a standard cinder block with the center supports directly under the floor Joyce as well.

Reasoning is dirt may shift under the weight, (which I measured from the ground to the beam for a reference. So each week or two for awhile I will have to go back down there and measure. If it is off at all then I will have to adjust the center points to make it back to where I started. Worse case, each beam is a 4x4 (finding a 6x6) wasn’t easy even at a lumber yard lol). I used treated wood, so say it sinks 1/4-1/2 inch. Each beam is at 3 feet and 6 feet. The tank left side (short side) is next to a weight barring support wall. So I could add the same thing and this time use rose wood for those beams and then place them half way between the other two so 1.5 feet away. That would give it a total of four beams 3feet every 17 inches of the tank length. Also the tank is 2 foot wide, and a beams are 3 feet. Tank is sitting primarily (from the wall cement foundation there is a Joyce every 2 feet since 3 foot beam had 6 inches hang over per side. I will set the tank 30 inches from the wall. So the first Joyce should not be affected but the second and third. It looks like it 10 feet across, so I could even place one there if needed but the tank is only 6 feet long. From when I spoke to building contractors who checked with their engineers, they said what I did should easily hold the weight. So let’s hope they are right, but will still check weekly for a while. Will monitor tank water level daily as well.

But I probably need to wait a week lol, I’m super sore and moving my arms seems tasking lol. Which makes moving the rest of the house seem dreadful.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a great job. There aren’t many women I know (even much larger ones) that would even consider attempting that - except @Katrina71 , I am certain she could do it, but at least she would have the hippie kid to help. :) They wouldn’t even crawl under the house, much less do all that heavy lifting. You made a believer out of me. Kudos to you not only for figuring out all of the logistics, but for executing the plan. How long do you have to get the rest if your stuff out of the old house?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a great job. There aren’t many women I know (even much larger ones) that would even consider attempting that - except @Katrina71 , I am certain she could do it, but at least she would have the hippie kid to help. :) They wouldn’t even crawl under the house, much less do all that heavy lifting. You made a believer out of me. Kudos to you not only for figuring out all of the logistics, but for executing the plan. How long do you have to get the rest if your stuff out of the old house?

Hello,

Ummm not gonna lie, it wasn’t fun and gross and creepy that’s for sure. Pretty sure I threw away my jeans, shirt, jacket, after the fact lol. I didn’t have much of an option since I relied on the contractors and they had to cancel. Sadly I had a lack of options, but if I had more I would have opted to not do this lol. I’m sure @Katrina71
And @Brew12 and @Bleigh could do it. I’m pretty sure @vetteguy53081 did his as well (maybe he could tell me if I did it right lol). Unfortunately regardless I’m gonna have to get use to going down there to adjust them the first 6 weeks and then monthly for 6 months then probably every six months. Will have to keep a log of measurements so I can track or graph any movement or settling. I do know that the front blocks sit higher than the rear because of the ground. But since it’s packed and hard I used the adjustments instead and made sure the beams were level. I checked the 4x4 on the main floor first just to make sure it wasn’t bent or warped as well. But really hoping these four posts will be enough

Back