Uronema and what to do now

Neinhorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back I picked up 10 Green Chromis from an online dealer, always wanted a school of chromis in my tank. Within 4 days from arrival 9 of the 10 had died from what appeared to be Uronema (https://humble.fish/uronema/). QT had been up and running for 6+ months with other fish having gone through and successfully added to DT and all are healthy (all parameters were in check). I assumed the worst and did not hold out any hope for the last man standing. 3 weeks later I still have the one survivor that has been in the same QT and looks perfectly healthy. That being said, I know that the parasite is still likely present in the QT and based on what i have read and my paranoia, I am highly skeptical to ever add this guy into my DT. My plan is to set up an additional QT and let this little guy live out as is but curious on any suggestions/experience on what to do?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve read what’s uronema is in it’s in if you move the fish to another tank than that tank gets it. It’s been so hard to get chromis free of that. I started a brand new qt tank bought a bunch of fresh chromis sure enough a week later the dreaded red spot came. And I lost one. I have 4 left. One has the spot. The others look ok. They are in copper but I believe that just slows it down but doesn’t stop it. I have tried 4 times this year to get a school of chromis. So far on last attempt and if they don’t make it. I quit with them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can start with a freshwater bath using the same temperature as display tank. Treatment of choice is a 45 minute formalin bath using general cure or even quick cure followed by transfer into a new/sterile QT. My favorite is ruby Rally pro as it is deemed reef safe also.
Once you get the fish in QT, it is very important to do follow up treatments to assure all of the parasites have been eliminated. This can be accomplished by dosing and soaking foods metronidazole ( Seachem Metroplex) for at least 10 days.
If the fish is showing active red sores, DO NOT use formalin or FW sip on the fish as either method will burn the sores, and ultimately do more harm than good. At this point, if its eating , you can try the metro or prepare unfortunately for loss

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back I picked up 10 Green Chromis from an online dealer, always wanted a school of chromis in my tank. Within 4 days from arrival 9 of the 10 had died from what appeared to be Uronema (https://humble.fish/uronema/). QT had been up and running for 6+ months with other fish having gone through and successfully added to DT and all are healthy (all parameters were in check). I assumed the worst and did not hold out any hope for the last man standing. 3 weeks later I still have the one survivor that has been in the same QT and looks perfectly healthy. That being said, I know that the parasite is still likely present in the QT and based on what i have read and my paranoia, I am highly skeptical to ever add this guy into my DT. My plan is to set up an additional QT and let this little guy live out as is but curious on any suggestions/experience on what to do?
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can be isolated from many aquariums where there are no active infections. It normally feeds on bacteria.
If you quarantine the fish properly, then it won’t be any riskier to add to your DT as any other fish.
Jay

Back