Uronema in QT

  • Thread starter Thread starter asome_one
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Question for all the helpful individuals that already commented above. I am about 8 days into therapeutic copper levels. I have been reading more about switching to Prazi following my 14 day copper treatment. The consensus I'm able to find is to treat with Prazipro after completing my initial course of copper. The issue with this is that the advice seems to be that all inhabitants need to be transferred to a clean tank before initiating this treatment. I understand that the life cycle of ich means they may reattach if I do not do this transfer. I have since decided to pivot and utilize API general cure instead of Prazi so I can dose this while copper is maintained. So, with this treatment, I would do 48 hours treatment. Repeat treatment. This is with a goal to treat for flukes/parasites.

Does this make sense to everyone else?
 
Question for all the helpful individuals that already commented above. I am about 8 days into therapeutic copper levels. I have been reading more about switching to Prazi following my 14 day copper treatment. The consensus I'm able to find is to treat with Prazipro after completing my initial course of copper. The issue with this is that the advice seems to be that all inhabitants need to be transferred to a clean tank before initiating this treatment. I understand that the life cycle of ich means they may reattach if I do not do this transfer. I have since decided to pivot and utilize API general cure instead of Prazi so I can dose this while copper is maintained. So, with this treatment, I would do 48 hours treatment. Repeat treatment. This is with a goal to treat for flukes/parasites.

Does this make sense to everyone else?

A transfer to a clean tank is needed and observation for at least 2 weeks. Reason is at 2 weeks, some parasites can still possibly make it through. So a clean tank will rid the possibility of having leftover parasite in tank water. And even then there is still a chance. Can it be that it’s fine, why yes. But never know.

I can give you info that might just be anecdotal. Recently got a Venustus Angel from a LFS near as I stated many times here, does have fish that carry just about every disease. Being I QT, I do not care. So I QT’ed the angel for two weeks. After transferee to a clean tank. Nothing for a week n a half. After which uro showed up. I sure was ticked be little guy has such a colorful personality! Either way, it was also the only Angel I didn’t do a H2O2 bath before QT started. This 30 min bath has lowered my angel uro infection for some reason.

I know, even Jay stats that internal uro is not contagious. BUT it does get into a fish somehow an and have to stay copper lowering the immune sys is what allows external uro to get to the fish.

Either way, to stay on subject of two week copper QT, after doing a scrape the first time, I knew it was uro and sure enough it was. I then waited a few days just to see how the fish does. It was still eating!! Looking back, I should have done metro food. And see how it does. It was otherwise so healthy as in energy and eating vigor. Either way did one more scrape and this time, loaded with uro, and ich!!!! Yes ich! At this point I ended it for the poor fish. God was I ticked! This was a second time a two week protocol failed me. It’s now 30 days or nothing.

The first time I cleaned a recently used tanks. But did a super wash with rubbing alcohol, and good fresh water wash. So I thought maybe the alcohol didn’t do a good enough job. So with this angel I literally bought a whole new setup to see what takes place. And it to failed me. So it’s not my cleaning and disinfecting method. It’s the fish possibly having ich. The transfer I did with a quick clean SW dip in a small bowl, then moved to the new QT setup, with no success. Either way as I stated it’s 30 days or nothing for me. It has yet to fail me.

As for prazi, if let’s say you did a 30 day QT, and you didn’t want to transfer to a new qt tank setup, you just need to do a 50% WC and you can do prazi in the same tank. I have yet to have issues.

Dose prazi, then on day 8 a 50% WC and dose again and leave it for 8 days, then watch fish for two weeks. 👍🏽
 
Question for all the helpful individuals that already commented above. I am about 8 days into therapeutic copper levels. I have been reading more about switching to Prazi following my 14 day copper treatment. The consensus I'm able to find is to treat with Prazipro after completing my initial course of copper. The issue with this is that the advice seems to be that all inhabitants need to be transferred to a clean tank before initiating this treatment. I understand that the life cycle of ich means they may reattach if I do not do this transfer. I have since decided to pivot and utilize API general cure instead of Prazi so I can dose this while copper is maintained. So, with this treatment, I would do 48 hours treatment. Repeat treatment. This is with a goal to treat for flukes/parasites.

Does this make sense to everyone else?

Copper really needs to be run for 30 days. Copper doesn’t kill the resting tomont stage, so you need to run the copper long enough for those to hatch and then for their tomites killed by the copper.
Moving the fish to a new tank after 14 days is a way people try to get around that, but it is still risky.
 
Question for all the helpful individuals that already commented above. I am about 8 days into therapeutic copper levels. I have been reading more about switching to Prazi following my 14 day copper treatment. The consensus I'm able to find is to treat with Prazipro after completing my initial course of copper. The issue with this is that the advice seems to be that all inhabitants need to be transferred to a clean tank before initiating this treatment. I understand that the life cycle of ich means they may reattach if I do not do this transfer. I have since decided to pivot and utilize API general cure instead of Prazi so I can dose this while copper is maintained. So, with this treatment, I would do 48 hours treatment. Repeat treatment. This is with a goal to treat for flukes/parasites.

Does this make sense to everyone else?

Copper really needs to be run for 30 days. Copper doesn’t kill the resting tomont stage, so you need to run the copper long enough for those to hatch and then for their tomites killed by the copper.
Moving the fish to a new tank after 14 days is a way people try to get around that, but it is still risky.
Copy. I assume my wrasse is not at risk since it's been doing well in copper this far. 30 days will enable me to utilize the same tank without risk of recontamination correct?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new