Uronema or flukes/ flashing on rocks ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all ^_^
Bought first 2 saltwater fish ( 2 clowns) about 3 months ago,set up 15 g qt tank with intention of qt every fish bought ( well observe for 30 days and treat if needed) and buy qt tank for corals later down line for corals/ crabs/ snails / inverts etc and keep in 76 days.
Well as soon as got first clowns home i noticed 2 lumps either side of head behind eyes while aclimitising so kept for 2 days and exchanged for 2 more clowns ( from exact same tank)lfs said looked like a fluke and said this clown later died) few guys on r2r said looked like brook.lfs had 4 days before i bought clowns.
As reading more and more on dieseses im slowly changing my opinion a little on whether to qt or not as i wasnt planning to medicate everything even if didnt look like needed so thought after 30 days observing could still be diesesed but doesnt show on fish.
Then few weeks later bought a blennie and put straight in dt.stayed in rockwork for nearly 1.5 weeks and only come out for food.
Then 2 weeks after got recommended best lfs near where i live so drove the long drive over ( just over a hour) and buy ywg+ pistol shrimp and sipver belly wrasse,the lfs had vast selection of fish/ corals even though was there day of week got new stock which hadn't arrived yet ( which i wanted as came up with plan,i want fish to ne at lfs long as possible as aome fish just die when new arrivals or if quick killing dieseses like brook/ velvet then they already be dead by time i buy them.
So had plans of just buying ywg+ shrimp but as so long drive away i decided to buy a wrasse also,i almost didnt buy anything from this lfs as seen a purple tang in sorry state,a clown on its side struggling on glass bottom, and 3 wrasses flashing on sand bed in 2 different tanks and a blennie in another tank.lfs guy said it different system to ywg+shrimp and different system to another 20 odd tanks on a different wall so bought a wrasse from this wall of tanks where seen no fish flashing or looking bad ( i know cross contamination can happen from nets/ hands etc) but told myself every lfs probably got diesesed fish/ parasites as such large volume of fish going through the shop and most lfs buy from same wholesalers etc.
Anyway 2 days after having wrasse i notice red mark on right side of fish above pectoral fins and flashing on the rocks and also blennie flashing but see no marks at all.
Also on pectoral fins where attaches to body it sort of looks like a fluke but look again it doesn't and looks like part of fish pffft.

Screenshot_20210601-153203_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210601-153224_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210601-153331_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210601-153344_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210601-153424_Gallery.jpg 20210601_145056.jpg

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here few more pics.some from last night and some from today.also looks like nose got dint in it.maybe was there when bought wrasse but not noticed till today.maybe from diving in sand bed who knows.
Also breathing seems normal ( except occasionally opening mouth wide but not very frequent,some may call this yawning,swimming and eating normal.fins look good except the dorsal fin that runs length of its body.just above where red marks are is first black spot on fin and fin slightly not raised but could be because red mark/ irritation/ or juat swimming as rest dorsal fin not clamped whatsoever

Screenshot_20210601-153142_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210601-153224_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210601-153424_Gallery.jpg 20210601_084443.jpg 20210601_084501.jpg 20210601_084507.jpg 20210601_084508.jpg

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe even a bacterial infection as slight reddish running parrelel near where yellow of fish meets the silver so could be following the digestive route food would take,unsure of name of this sorry,maybe digestive tract ( sounds likely name ha ha )
This picture makes it look really red,but with naked eye it not as red as this.just slight tinge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210601-213654_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-213654_Chrome.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 31

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be uronema, it's unfortunately common in this species of halichoeres wrasse. Let's get Jay's eyes on it @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks saltyt
Im hoping it isnt and only got 15 gallon qt ( which is set up and running) but the thought of worse case scenario of stripping tank down and steralising all gives me nightmares.
I read that in an eatablished aquarium doesnt affect the established fish so much,and even if qt corals for few months,can still bring uronema into dt so seems kind pointless stripping/ sanitising the tank of this is the case.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just to try give as much information as possible. I just found out last night that the wrasse nose dives into sand bed in front right corner of tank and there is maybe 5- 6 small rock rubble pieces here ( very close to where i seen him go under sand last night) i put like 20 small pieces rock rubble in around this area as this part tank i added pistol shrimp + goby hoping they set up camp here ( they moved next day lol) but will check under sand tommorrow when do weekly wc incase any rock under sand as i know put some larger pieces under sand relatively close on glass to hold up a cave like structure for shrimp.as this could explain the dint looking thing on his nose and i guess abrasion on one side but doubt it would explain wrasse flashing on rocks and ovbiously not explain blennie flashing on rocks also.
But the blennie sure has strange eating behaviour flicking his head/ whole body as he eats ( so now im doubting blennie even flashing or is he just eating and flow throwing him into rocks lol) which i think this last statement me trying yo justify it in my own head lol.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of tank with lots small rock rubble from middle of tank- front right where seen wrasse go under sand last night and if what i read is true they tend to go in same place every night?. Plus 4 pictures of wrasse on saturday ( day after i bought him without the red marks on his right side above pectoral fin) but do notice on these pics that red running along middle of body but didnt and still doesnt look this prominent.think reflections on glass making it look worse maybe idk.lfs had him in there tank at least 6 days.
And im not trying to convince myself that just an abrasion so have to take no action/ little action as i want honest opinions and advice to help me if you believe this indeed could be a serious issue.
Again though only 15g qt up and running and got 5 small fish.just sold a 300 litre to neighbour for next to nothing ( £ 30) as he wanted give me somethibg for it. few months ago but anyhow not mine no more so irrelevant lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210601-232312_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-232312_Gallery.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20210601-232543_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-232543_Gallery.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20210601-232722_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-232722_Gallery.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210601-232746_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-232746_Gallery.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210601-232816_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-232816_Gallery.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 38

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lesion is very faint, I can't really see it except in a few of the images. The snout issue isn't showing up for me at all.

It could be the start of Uronema, as said, that is very common in this group of wrasses. Uronema does start in the muscle tissue and work upwards, so if it is that disease, the spot will get redder and then it will erupt through the scales. We can't get chloroquine in the US very easily now, so we really don't have any treatment for it. You're right though, when it gets into a tank, as long as you avoid susceptible fish, coris wrasse, anthias and green chromis, you won't likely have any future issues with it.

That said, this may not be uronema at all, so just feed the fish well, and make sure it has a good deep soft sand bed to sleep in at night.

Jay

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for reply jay.
Will move most rock rubble out tank tommorrow and just leave few pieces at back left of tank where goby/ shrimp emerge from.and just keep an eye on all fish and wrasse and blennie inparticular.
This chloroquine you mention would this be something that you add to the dt ? I will be adding corals at later date in dt.
Im in england so maybe easier to get.which i doubt though.
I have read several your posts on uronema and you mention article " red band diesese" but unable to find it on this site but im tech dumb so no surprise there lol.
But will try google it and see if brings me back here to see if you mention chloroquine use.
Once again ty for your time both of you ^_^

Aw sorry one thing,im really wanting least one wrasse maybe even 2 so this silver belly wrasse is classed as a coris wrasse ( or what some class as ?) If so what wrasse would be less scepctable to uronema? Like a flasher wrasse maybe?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for reply jay.
Will move most rock rubble out tank tommorrow and just leave few pieces at back left of tank where goby/ shrimp emerge from.and just keep an eye on all fish and wrasse and blennie inparticular.
This chloroquine you mention would this be something that you add to the dt ? I will be adding corals at later date in dt.
Im in england so maybe easier to get.which i doubt though.
I have read several your posts on uronema and you mention article " red band diesese" but unable to find it on this site but im tech dumb so no surprise there lol.
But will try google it and see if brings me back here to see if you mention chloroquine use.
Once again ty for your time both of you ^_^

Aw sorry one thing,im really wanting least one wrasse maybe even 2 so this silver belly wrasse is classed as a coris wrasse ( or what some class as ?) If so what wrasse would be less scepctable to uronema? Like a flasher wrasse maybe?

Sorry - I just used the common trade name "yellow coris". It is actually a Halichoeres wrasse, as mentioned. I am NOT a big fan of fairy or flasher wrasses, I see way too many issues with them both here and in my own tanks.

Jay

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I just used the common trade name "yellow coris". It is actually a Halichoeres wrasse, as mentioned. I am NOT a big fan of fairy or flasher wrasses, I see way too many issues with them both here and in my own tanks.

Jay

Ok one last question if i may please.
For a 80 g system what wrasse do you see least diesese issues with people on this site?
And be good with cuc including cleaner shrimp and not to agressive to other fish,any possible suggestions? Or are wrasse family generally lots problems?
I read most wrasses generally good pest eaters,one of the many reasons i want one incase get pest flatworms or the like etc

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one last question if i may please.
For a 80 g system what wrasse do you see least diesese issues with people on this site?
And be good with cuc including cleaner shrimp and not to agressive to other fish,any possible suggestions? Or are wrasse family generally lots problems?
I read most wrasses generally good pest eaters,one of the many reasons i want one incase get pest flatworms or the like etc
Six line wrasses do well for me, but I here other people say they can be real jerks. The true red coris wrasse is very hardy, but it gets too large and then is not reef safe. Steer clear of leopards wrasses.

Jay

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah read leopard expert only and as im 3 month into saltwater side of hobby i will leave alone.
Not read up on red coris tbh but if grow to large then cant do.
So will have think about the 6 line.i was going to originally get one but reading to many stories of being bully or being a jerk but hear a great pest eradicator so will do some more research on it thanks again,take care

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think must been a abrasion from rocks either flashing or burying in the sand next to small rock rubble and rocks under sandbed which now moved surface rocks where he sleeps and he will get used to where rocks under sand is.
Feel slightly paranoid getting thread started straight away ( well after a day.) But guess if was a diesese then earlier the better right but ty all
20210603_163401.jpg

Attachments

• 20210603_163423.jpg
    20210603_163423.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 29

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think must been a abrasion from rocks either flashing or burying in the sand next to small rock rubble and rocks under sandbed which now moved surface rocks where he sleeps and he will get used to where rocks under sand is.
Feel slightly paranoid getting thread started straight away ( well after a day.) But guess if was a diesese then earlier the better right but ty all
Yay!!! That's good news! When you're ready to add another wrasse, check out Hunter's thread below. It's a helpful overview on various reef safe wrasses:

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks saltyt,yeah read that again last night and a few months ago,very informative.
Jay saying about that my wrasse very susceptible to uronema.maybe hunter who made above article or i missed that part.
But jay is very active and gives so many advice so maybe jay in a better position to see which wrasse or even which fish in general get what dieseses as daily he speaking and seeing about it,im new here jay but thankyou very much it is extremely nice for you to do what you do ^_^

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks saltyt,yeah read that again last night and a few months ago,very informative.
Jay saying about that my wrasse very susceptible to uronema.maybe hunter who made above article or i missed that part.
But jay is very active and gives so many advice so maybe jay in a better position to see which wrasse or even which fish in general get what dieseses as daily he speaking and seeing about it,im new here jay but thankyou very much it is extremely nice for you to do what you do ^_^
No worries! I didn't realize you were choosing your wrasses based off of diseases. Best of luck and happy reefing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back