Uronema

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, yesterday I found 4 out of 7 of my fish dead in my reef tank. I have since moved the living to a qt and plan to completely deconstruct my tank and sanatize it. Over night, the chromis originally harboring the uronema is dead with the signature red/brown spot. I do have a few questions however, what should I do with all my corals/inverts? I hope to reuse them once I set the tank back up, and I would like to know how I can make sure no uronema is attached to them. Another question, I have not added a fish to my tank in 5 months, and the chromis who I suspect brought it into my tank was that last fish. Is there any hope for my last two fish? One of them has no apparent damage I can see while the other has clouded eyes. Should I even attempt dipping in formalin?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema rarely (never?) shows up in fish that have been stable in a tank for five months like that. Anything added to the tank more recently? Uronema is a great mimic, perhaps something else took your fish out? One characteristic of fish dying from Uronema is that they often die with their mouths agape. I have an article posted here on red band disease if you haven’t seen it yet...I’m on my phone so I can’t link it for you...
Jay

OP
OP
Rednamalas

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things added semi recently have been some frags of coral and a peppermint shrimp. No fish. The chromis I remember did die with its mouth open, and it had a large red sore on the side. I can’t remember for the other fish however. Another note is that my cardinal fish’s eye became clouded

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cardinal's eye is another issue. Does sound like the chromis had uronema though. What about the other two fish that died?

Jay

OP
OP
Rednamalas

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall any of the other dead fish having red marks. One live fish does seem to have an abundance of white spots.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall any of the other dead fish having red marks. One live fish does seem to have an abundance of white spots.
Well, based on that observation, I wouldn't rule out Cryptocaryon (ich). Any chance you can post a picture and/or video?

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back