Use 10 ml of water to raise api test accuracy?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was dumb and let myself use up all the alkalinity reagent from my hanna checker before ordering more. I am currently fine tuning my daily dose so I can set up a dosing pump.

All I have is an api alk test which is accurate to intervals of 1.
1 drop = 1 alk
2 = 2 alk so on and so forth
The test is accurate from what I can tell. My alkalinity is 7.9 and the api changed to the finish color at 8 drops. Can I raise the resolution to .5 intervals by using 10ml of water instead of 1

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using the api test until I get my hanna reagent just so I can see if alk has made any big drops or raised too high

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already know about what your alk is, just start with 5 or more drops before you start adding one at a time like the test says. From using this test often it seems to me the issue arises from constantly taking the cap on and off to add a new drop of liquid, but it does test fairly consistently in my experience. My tip would be to get a syringe in order to add the exact same amount of water to the tube every time.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the volume of a drop is using the api test kit? I was thinking i could fill a 1ml syringe with the titrant and get more accuracy that way. I just dont know what the volume of a drop is. I did a google search and it kinda said 0.05 ml per drop.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the volume of a drop is using the api test kit? I was thinking i could fill a 1ml syringe with the titrant and get more accuracy that way. I just dont know what the volume of a drop is. I did a google search and it kinda said 0.05 ml per drop.

Drop sizes depend on the physical dimensions and material nature of the tip (and the fluid used). So any drop size info not specific to the dropper in question is of marginal benefit.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have my api

301DFF24-BEFD-47A1-91CA-878421BB9325.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back