Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fishes don’t like GAC. My corals don’t like GAC. But if I remove them, the water does get yellow over period of time. UV is also great at clearing the water. So my question to the experts - has anyone successfully removed use of GAC with UV sterilizer.

My tank is mature and thriving but my palms are itching to tinker...

Sam

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run UV or use carbon continuously but only when I feel it’s needed. typically I will run Rox-8 for 3 or 4 days a month as part of my maintenance to absorb any potential contaminants and help clear water.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed my fishes heavy and they are fat but 3 of my tangs have developed HLLE. Lot of anecdotal evidence is present on the web relating the two and it absorbs trace elements. Not to mention monthly chore of replacing it. This also causes the water chemistry to change.

Some of the several.

Sam

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t run UV or use carbon continuously but only when I feel it’s needed. typically I will run Rox-8 for 3 or 4 days a month as part of my maintenance to absorb any potential contaminants and help clear water.

Appreciate the response. I would expect the skimmer to take out body oil(from constantly dipping our hands) and dissolved organics introduced in the tank. And the UV is just as efficient in clearing water...trying to see if it can be done. I will probably end up using small amount of carbon and not completely eliminate it.

Sam

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered running an oxydator for water clarification?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fishes heavy and they are fat but 3 of my tangs have developed HLLE. Lot of anecdotal evidence is present on the web relating the two and it absorbs trace elements. Not to mention monthly chore of replacing it. This also causes the water chemistry to change.

Some of the several.

Sam
HLLE is directly connected to fine dust particles of GAC entering the water column. Rinsing properly before use, not allowing the granules to tumble, or using GAC with a low dust content like ROX solves the problem.
In regards to trace element adsorption Randy's opinion is that its not a problem people should be concerned about.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response. I would expect the skimmer to take out body oil(from constantly dipping our hands) and dissolved organics introduced in the tank. And the UV is just as efficient in clearing water...trying to see if it can be done. I will probably end up using small amount of carbon and not completely eliminate it.

Sam

I agree skimmer is probably going to remove the bulk of it but in my situation the ladies of the house are constantly using finger nail polish remover or spritzing perfumes in an adjoining room so I feel periodically running carbon will help remove any VOC’s the skimmer is missing. not sure if you have considered it but Ozone is also a great way to keep you water crystal clear, I ran it for years on one of my tanks but eventually stopped because I was worried about health impacts on my young children at the time.. frequently I would come home from work to a strong smell of ozone in the house, this was a old Sanders unit back in the 80’s I’m sure they have improved them since then.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HLLE is directly connected to fine dust particles of GAC entering the water column. Rinsing properly before use, not allowing the granules to tumble, or using GAC with a low dust content like ROX solves the problem.
In regards to trace element adsorption Randy's opinion is that its not a problem people should be concerned about.

I rinse with 5 gallon saltwater running through phosban reactor with high grade GAC before putting the drain pipe in the sump. So no dust goes atall.

Also, Would you be able to share the analysis that GAC does not absorb trace elements.

Sam

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Would you be able to share the analysis that GAC does not absorb trace elements.

Sam
I didn't say "GAC does not absorb trace elements" ?

I said "In regards to trace element adsorption Randy's opinion is that its not a problem people should be concerned about."

Trace metals are attached to the organic molecules that GAC adsorbs, but just how much trace does it remove & how much dissolved organics does it remove in comparison?
In other words, does the adsorption of trace elements by GAC outweigh the other benefits of using GAC?
Randy's opinion is written above.

I don't skim at all & only use GAC occasionally.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there studies that show GAC causes HLLE? I thought it was circumstantial at best. Regardless, properly contain it and there’s really no problem .... and no HLLE. Anyhow, I run GAC and UV 24/7 and have for years.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back