Used Equipment - The Environmentally Friendly Decision

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one of the main reasons for buying used equipment in this hobby to help our planet and not fill up another landfill?

Interested in hearing your stories about sustainability in this hobby.

My story is used RSR 425XL, used Radion lights, home made Refugium, used MP40s. Saved some money and helped our planet - Win/Win!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can make good first tanks if they dont have issues

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies - don’t understand what you mean by this statement?

For a first time person wanting to get into the hobby they are a good option. Lower cost and recycling all in one.
Sometimes the equipment has issues. A beginning reefer might not be able to fix or understand whats going on without help.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a first time person wanting to get into the hobby they are a good option. Lower cost and recycling all in one.
Sometimes the equipment has issues. A beginning reefer might not be able to fix or understand whats going on without help.
Both great points! Thank you for clarifying.

phillybean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy used as much as I can, not entirely for Environmental reasons, more because I'm cheap. My tank, sump, lights, skimmer, return pump, heaters and one of the MP40's were all used.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one of the main reasons for buying used equipment in this hobby to help our planet and not fill up another landfill?

Interested in hearing your stories about sustainability in this hobby.
For me, it's just about getting something for cheaper if I don't need/want to buy new.

Imo it is doubtful our equipment contributes that much to landfill. The lifespan of most equipment is long, longer than a lot of things that end up in landfill. Of course, preventing as much as possible from ending up in landfill is better... but just how much better is arguably low, so it is not a consideration for me when buying used equipments.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's just about getting something for cheaper if I don't need/want to buy new.

Imo it is doubtful our equipment contributes that much to landfill. The lifespan of most equipment is long, longer than a lot of things that end up in landfill. Of course, preventing as much as possible from ending up in landfill is better... but just how much better is arguably low, so it is not a consideration for me when buying used equipments.
Doesn’t every little bit help? And does this hobby help create a mindset of sustainability, recyclable, or reuse for our water environments?

There are some very large setups and equipment - do they get recycled or just tossed into a landfill when no longer utilized?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t every little bit help? And does this hobby help create a mindset of sustainability, recyclable, or reuse for our water environments?
Every little bit probably helps, yeah - but only if it adds up to something significant. Otherwise it would be so insignificant that it would not matter.

I am also unsure if this hobby help create a mindset of sustainability etc., given the lack of information/false information that may often be purported.

Take collecting from the wild as an example. There are many marine organisms that we absolutely must conserve if we want to keep them alive, and some habitats should just not be disturbed full stop. But as much as buying used equipment contributes insignificantly to sustainability, so does collecting certain fish contribute insignificantly to reducing their populations.

For example, percula clownfish. A lot of people are up in arms about collecting them from the wild, when a report from just 5 years ago estimated 13 to 18 million individuals in the wild, and that is a conserved estimate. So even if we collect So even if we collect a thousand percula, that is still less than 0.01% of their wild populations.

When these sort of information becomes clear, and they also do, it significantly hurts efforts to actually try to couple the hobby with sustainability, as those who pushes back against captive breeding efforts and all that receives ammo to go even more all out. Given that a lot of efforts are too heavy handed and extreme. "No! Ban everything! No, everything has to be captive-bred!" Etc.

So tldr; Every little bit helps insignificantly and at some point it is materially pointless. The hobby SHOULD be coupled with sustainability, but instead often couples with illogical decisions and/or determinations, which backfires and so in reality it does not actually help create the right mindset a lot of the time.

When people become defensive, that does not help change their mind. And when they are rightfully defensive because yeah, what they are facing is actually illogical, then that makes everything even harder.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every little bit probably helps, yeah - but only if it adds up to something significant. Otherwise it would be so insignificant that it would not matter.

I am also unsure if this hobby help create a mindset of sustainability etc., given the lack of information/false information that may often be purported.

Take collecting from the wild as an example. There are many marine organisms that we absolutely must conserve if we want to keep them alive, and some habitats should just not be disturbed full stop. But as much as buying used equipment contributes insignificantly to sustainability, so does collecting certain fish contribute insignificantly to reducing their populations.

For example, percula clownfish. A lot of people are up in arms about collecting them from the wild, when a report from just 5 years ago estimated 13 to 18 million individuals in the wild, and that is a conserved estimate. So even if we collect So even if we collect a thousand percula, that is still less than 0.01% of their wild populations.

When these sort of information becomes clear, and they also do, it significantly hurts efforts to actually try to couple the hobby with sustainability, as those who pushes back against captive breeding efforts and all that receives ammo to go even more all out. Given that a lot of efforts are too heavy handed and extreme. "No! Ban everything! No, everything has to be captive-bred!" Etc.

So tldr; Every little bit helps insignificantly and at some point it is materially pointless. The hobby SHOULD be coupled with sustainability, but instead often couples with illogical decisions and/or determinations, which backfires and so in reality it does not actually help create the right mindset a lot of the time.

When people become defensive, that does not help change their mind. And when they are rightfully defensive because yeah, what they are facing is actually illogical, then that makes everything even harder.
I’ve only been in the hobby a year but it’s definitely help me realize the incredible complexity of marine life. Understand that points of view vary and that I have much more to learn about the hobby and it’s impacts (good/bad & misconceptions). But I do Want to do anything I can to protect it and have become much more conscientious about sustainability.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only been in the hobby a year but it’s definitely help me realize the incredible complexity of marine life. Understand that points of view vary and that I have much more to learn about the hobby and it’s impacts (good/bad & misconceptions). But I do Want to do anything I can to protect it and have become much more conscientious about sustainability.
That's great!

I guess it's also the point of these discussions - the more they occur, the more the finesse of the hobby will become clearer. ^_^

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so, then it's flawed logic.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually will buy used because I think a lot of the reef equipment are ridiculously overpriced.
Most things I can fix myself so longevity is not a concern for me. I also like to repurpose things like turning old RO/DI canisters and cartridges into media reactors, turning old powerheads into sump vacs or reef blowers, etc... Hell even an old Seaclone skimmer can be repurposed.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it flawed?
OK, so explain your logic and I will tell you why I think it is flawed. Perhaps you've thought of something I have not, I shall then concede you are right, and buy everything used from now on :)

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so explain your logic and I will tell you why I think it is flawed. Perhaps you've thought of something I have not, I shall then concede you are right, and buy everything used from now on :)
That’s not fair. I never stated any logic. I only asked a question.

You said the question had flaw logic. I only asked what that flawed logic is?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back