Used par meter, need help deciding next step

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I finally rented an mq-510 from my LFS ($15 per day!). Should have done this day 1!

I have an AI prime mounted 9" above waterline with the 3D Reefing diffuser. I was running the Saxby schedule and my torch loved it - growing another head. Duncan not so much. I just added more LPS and had them on acclimation with 50% start and wanted to keep the color & them happy. It will always be an LPS-only tank.

Par measured with the return pump off, with it on it seems to go higher/lower but from what I could see the average looks to match with the return off. My return nozzle is pointed upwards.

Since these readings are at the very peak of the Saxby schedule would you run 50%? 60%? I didn't even bother measuring 100%. I did not fully grasp how powerful the AI prime light is...

Thank you!
David-Saxby_Graph.jpg

Coral2.png

50%
AI Prime Saxby 50.png

60%
AI Prime Saxby 60.png

75%
AI Prime Saxby 75.png

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd simply start on 60% if those are your options :) See how it goes, corals are much more likely to adapt to lower light and it is very easy to give them too much.

You can simply increase a couple of % every week if you want to run your lights at 75%. Just take it slow!

That being said, your 75% looks okay to me.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the corals you listed could be at the top if you wanted. I have a few Acans over 350, a lot of torches in that range, even a Duncan that’s around 300 but one side is just over 400. I think people get too caught up on par. If you want to be on the razors edge of growth or colour it matters. If you just want results, not so much. I have a chalice frag I can’t get rid of that’s been at ~40 par for over 6 months and it’s fine. Right side of the Duncan below is over 400. Ignore missing chunk from middle he was just fragged
IMG_2719.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies! I'm honestly surprised by the responses saying to go higher. Tidal Garden and Cherry Coral recommend acans at very low light (75 or under) and chalices at moderate (75-100 par).

What is the benefit to running lighting higher?

I'm leaning towards 60% as it would account for some loss due to the return nozzle and the mesh Kraken lid (which I only now remembered about). I really do not want to lose color and am fine with slower growth.

Love this lobby, so much to learn!

Thank you!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies! I'm honestly surprised by the responses saying to go higher. Tidal Garden and Cherry Coral recommend acans at very low light (75 or under) and chalices at moderate (75-100 par).

What is the benefit to running lighting higher?

I'm leaning towards 60% as it would account for some loss due to the return nozzle and the mesh Kraken lid (which I only now remembered about). I really do not want to lose color and am fine with slower growth.

Love this lobby, so much to learn!

Thank you!

It’s a balancing act with nutrients, light, and flow. If everything is good, more light to a point means faster growth. Acans will handle a stupid range if acclimated. I have had them at 100ish par and at 400. At 100 growth was slow with maybe 2 heads a month. At 300 they usually put on 5-8 for me. At 400 they do not bleach but they do tend to change colour to more red no matter what colour they started. Your results will be different and you just have to figure it out with trial and error given very loose guidelines. All that said, I would never put Acans under 75par unless you were intentionally trying to slow their growth.

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a balancing act with nutrients, light, and flow. If everything is good, more light to a point means faster growth. Acans will handle a stupid range if acclimated. I have had them at 100ish par and at 400. At 100 growth was slow with maybe 2 heads a month. At 300 they usually put on 5-8 for me. At 400 they do not bleach but they do tend to change colour to more red no matter what colour they started. Your results will be different and you just have to figure it out with trial and error given very loose guidelines. All that said, I would never put Acans under 75par unless you were intentionally trying to slow their growth.
Gotcha, thank you!

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to keep in mind, most LFS rented par meters have not been calibrated properly/often enough. They are a great way to indicate hot spots or where you may be lacking light, but the actual numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. I rented one recently to see what my radion xr30 was putting out. the light is 10” off the water, turned it up to 100% just to see, and the par meter read 200-250 only a few inches under the water (obviously low). That being said, I would always recommend starting on the lower end, slowly working up, and if you discover any issues, dial it back. Let the corals tell you what they want as more times than not, they’re pretty truthful lol.

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to keep in mind, most LFS rented par meters have not been calibrated properly/often enough. They are a great way to indicate hot spots or where you may be lacking light, but the actual numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. I rented one recently to see what my radion xr30 was putting out. the light is 10” off the water, turned it up to 100% just to see, and the par meter read 200-250 only a few inches under the water (obviously low). That being said, I would always recommend starting on the lower end, slowly working up, and if you discover any issues, dial it back. Let the corals tell you what they want as more times than not, they’re pretty truthful lol.
I think you convinced me to get the Parwise reader

ron swanson smiling GIF

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up everyone was right, going 75% maybe even 80%. Have been at 50% for a few days but going 60% today and will move slow (~1% up per day) from there. I noticed my recent purchases the colors were staying dull after shipment. Called Tidal Gardens and my par was half what they had. Thanks everyone! Will post another update when I get my Parwise reader

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up if anyone is interested, I had gone from 50% to 60% overnight but my torch was not happy. On day 3 I went back to 50% and have done +1 daily. Everyone is super happy. Parwise reading for 55% was pretty close to the mq-510. Still a long ways to go to 75%-80% but glad I can measure every 5% increment.

AI Prime Saxby 55.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back