Using a CO2 Scrubber with a Lifereef Slimmer

Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any Lifereef skimmer owners out there who have successfully incorporated a CO2 scrubber into their system?

While most pinwheel skimmers typically draw ambient room air to produce bubbles, Lifereef skimmers draw warm, moist air from inside the collection cup not only to make bubbles, but also to help prevent salt build-up and subsequent obstruction inside the Venturi. That “Constant Venturi Cleaning” feature works very well.

However, when a scrubber is installed inline in this closed-loop system, the same moist air that melts away precipitation inside the Venturi also saturates the CO2 media as the water vapor condenses along the way, rendering it useless in a matter of just a few days. If I disconnect the tubing coming from the collection cup, the CO2 media stays dry, but risks allowing salt to build up and clog the Venturi.

I have a few ideas how to solve this dilemma, but I was hoping that somebody else might have already been there, done that. I see that some folks drill a hole in the top of the skimmer to allow ambient air to mix with the recirculated air. Mine already has such an air hole. Drilling another won’t help.

Here in Arizona triple-digit temps force us to keep doors and windows closed tightly, so the A/C simply recirculates the same CO2-rich air over and over, contributing to the low pH in my reef tank. I’d love to be able to pump fresh outside air through the skimmer, but that’s not at all practical due to the location of the tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could only find the below

OP
OP
Sailor

Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, GoVols, and quite coincidental. The guy in the video hooked up the same CO2 scrubber I have to the same skimmer I have for the same reason I did... but unfortunately, I think he might run into the same problem I'm dealing with as well -- too much moisture inside the scrubber. On the other hand, his "sump room" looks larger and more open, perhaps cooler and less humid than my sump compartment in the cabinet under my aquarium. This video was made soon after the guy installed new equipment. I'd like to know how his scrubber is working a month later.

Attachments

• 2 Canister.jpeg
    2 Canister.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 29

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a co2 scrubber with my lifereef skimmer. I ran into the same issue with to much moisture. I tried several ideas but nothing really worked. I eventually just gave up. now I run the skimmer line outside during spring and summer months. whcih works better than a co2 scrubber. with the moisture issue still but that does clean out the ventura. so its a win win for me. winter and late fall months I don't run the line outside at all. since my house is poorly insulated the ph is way higher in the winter and fall months. so i don't need it to be drawing air in the fall and winter months.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running outside air on mine. Took a Cheap two outlets air pump. Took the rubber base off, drilled two holes, aimed at the coils.Reassembled the pump, sealing it with Aquarium Cement. Super Glued Lee’s Rigid Airliine in the Holes. Ran 3/8” Clear Tubing to Outside. Made a PVC Manifold. With 3/8” inlet Barb and Lee’s Rigid outlets for soft airline tofeed the air pump. Two Lee’s Rigid to the Lid of the LifeReef Lid.

OP
OP
Sailor

Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running outside air on mine. ..
I would love to be able to run an air line to the outside. That would be my preferred method and probably the most effective way to boost pH. Unfortunately, due to the aquarium's location, that's not practical for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back