Using a hammer to contain Xenia

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm working on planning coral spots in my tank. I like the look of pulsing xenia, but am aware of how fast it grows. Could you or has anyone every used a hammer coral to keep it small? My idea is putting the xenia on the small rock on the left and let it take that over and then having a hammer on the right side that would sting it if it tried to keep spreading.

20220107_073453.jpg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm working on planning coral spots in my tank. I like the look of pulsing xenia, but am aware of how fast it grows. Could you or has anyone every used a hammer coral to keep it small? My idea is putting the xenia on the small rock on the left and let it take that over and then having a hammer on the right side that would sting it if it tried to keep spreading.

20220107_073453.jpg
I would advise against coral warfare, even if the Xenia is going to lose, it may negatively affect the Hammer ....leave it on its own island or manually control best you can.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise reconsidering the coral if you are already worried about containing it. You are not going to stop Mother Nature. Just being honest here you are setting yourself up for failure.

I own both and have personally seen Xenia get on rocks across the display when I didn't move it or put it there. I've seen pieces float along the substrate that if I didn't notice it I would have another patch sprout up. It finds a way to spread and grow. You can manage it manually by gently lifting it with forceps but even then it will come back at the base if you don't epoxy or superglue it.

What I am saying is if you are concerned now it may not be the right coral for you. Unless you are willing to stay ahead of it. That means upon entry to the life of the display. It is coined invasive for a reason.

All the best.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise reconsidering the coral if you are already worried about containing it. You are not going to stop Mother Nature. Just being honest here you are setting yourself up for failure.

I own both and have personally seen Xenia get on rocks across the display when I didn't move it or put it there. I've seen pieces float along the substrate that if I didn't notice it I would have another patch sprout up. It finds a way to spread and grow. You can manage it manually by gently lifting it with forceps but even then it will come back at the base if you don't epoxy or superglue it.

What I am saying is if you are concerned now it may not be the right coral for you. Unless you are willing to stay ahead of it. That means upon entry to the life of the display. It is coined invasive for a reason.

All the best.
Agreed, have it as well... it will find a place to thrive ....and often in spots a mile away lol. Upkeep is a must, always in my case...

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia doesn’t spread like a plague. It’s never tried to migrate or anything. That being said my hammer doesn’t have sweepers so it would be useless for this

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice!

Thanks! I appreciate it. Is it hard to control manually? I'm just getting into the hobby and am trying to think of ideas based on items I've seen. Would it easily grow over the gap I have there?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice!

Thanks! I appreciate it. Is it hard to control manually? I'm just getting into the hobby and am trying to think of ideas based on items I've seen. Would it easily grow over the gap I have there?
If it's an inch or two, yes I've had it spread that distance. They've got some legs lol... as for control manually I find it manageable, but I'm fairly on top of it, keeping eyes open every few days. As @areefer01 mentions you may find a polyp or two that's blown well away from the colony and quickly wants to take up residence there. I love it as a coral, and thus put up with the management.

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the looks of it too, just trying to determine the management and was hoping to find a way around it haha I was also looking into Cespitularia as a similar alternative. Thanks for the help!

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia wont be contained by coral warfare. It can just detach and drift to a new spot to colonize. If it’s getting irritated it will be more inclined to do this instead of just spreading by “walking”. It may take a while (months or a year) to crop up in an unexpected place but it will happen eventually.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the looks of it too, just trying to determine the management and was hoping to find a way around it haha I was also looking into Cespitularia as a similar alternative. Thanks for the help!

I've also owned, and since regulated to the refugium, Blue Cespitularia. I ordered a small frag from Pacific East Aquaculture. Beautiful coral with some amazing color under the right lighting conditions. However, it too is a quick grower. Spreads also and can cross gaps as the base spreads.

Not trying to change your mind because they are great corals but if you look at an older image of my display you can see the green arrow. That is where I placed the Xenia frag. Look at the red arrows now. I didn't put it there. It floated about and made its way there. I saw a small flower/stalk and left it alone and it grew. It was a lot worse than this to the point it was covering test sps frags I had that I forgot about since they covered it up.

By manual removal I would have to reach into the display after gloving up, use forceps, clamp at the base of the stalk as close to the rock as possible, and gently lift left and right pulling it off. A lot of times it will peel right off with a clean break. Others you will have fragments left behind. If you leave those, they will grow back. You have to superglue or epoxy over it. Another thing I've used is f-aiptasia. That is a bit more slow going.

Now my display is iradicated of both Xenia and Cespitularia because both my Zoster and Pyramid butterflies eat it. It is safe in my refugium so it stays there :) My point in the long post is I do not believe, in my experience, that you can really contain it. It will find a way to spread. And if you don't want to deal with that potential issue later it is best to not put it in. There are some other corals that may be better suited.

1641600942589.png

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also owned, and since regulated to the refugium, Blue Cespitularia. I ordered a small frag from Pacific East Aquaculture. Beautiful coral with some amazing color under the right lighting conditions. However, it too is a quick grower. Spreads also and can cross gaps as the base spreads.

Not trying to change your mind because they are great corals but if you look at an older image of my display you can see the green arrow. That is where I placed the Xenia frag. Look at the red arrows now. I didn't put it there. It floated about and made its way there. I saw a small flower/stalk and left it alone and it grew. It was a lot worse than this to the point it was covering test sps frags I had that I forgot about since they covered it up.

By manual removal I would have to reach into the display after gloving up, use forceps, clamp at the base of the stalk as close to the rock as possible, and gently lift left and right pulling it off. A lot of times it will peel right off with a clean break. Others you will have fragments left behind. If you leave those, they will grow back. You have to superglue or epoxy over it. Another thing I've used is f-aiptasia. That is a bit more slow going.

Now my display is iradicated of both Xenia and Cespitularia because both my Zoster and Pyramid butterflies eat it. It is safe in my refugium so it stays there :) My point in the long post is I do not believe, in my experience, that you can really contain it. It will find a way to spread. And if you don't want to deal with that potential issue later it is best to not put it in. There are some other corals that may be better suited.

1641600942589.png
And mine as well for reference. Started from small frag about 2 years ago. First image is way outta control before a tank move a few weeks back. It was encroaching so badly on Duncan I decided to move it.
20211114_171636.jpg
Second image, I cropped a significant amount back during the move , fragging off as much as I could as a LFS wanted it for a few bucks. Also threw a bit more flow at it which seems to tick it off just enough that I haven't seen any real spread last few weeks. Although I am keeping a trained eye on it.
20220107_193017.jpg

In saying all this I feel I genuinely NEED the stuff in my display as I have no sump or skimmer, and it is a huge nitrate eater for me along with many other softies....and ya I do like the look of it, in moderation. Also a bit odd, My Kenya used to spread branches everywhere, not anymore at all, the Xenia way more invasive that way.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220107_073453.jpg

20220107_073453.jpg
Yep, that is exactly what I do to keep Xenia under control (well, somewhat under control, lol)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And mine as well for reference. Started from small frag about 2 years ago. First image is way outta control before a tank move a few weeks back. It was encroaching so badly on Duncan I decided to move it.
20211114_171636.jpg
Second image, I cropped a significant amount back during the move , fragging off as much as I could as a LFS wanted it for a few bucks. Also threw a bit more flow at it which seems to tick it off just enough that I haven't seen any real spread last few weeks. Although I am keeping a trained eye on it.
20220107_193017.jpg

In saying all this I feel I genuinely NEED the stuff in my display as I have no sump or skimmer, and it is a huge nitrate eater for me along with many other softies....and ya I do like the look of it, in moderation. Also a bit odd, My Kenya used to spread branches everywhere, not anymore at all, the Xenia way more invasive that way.

Yeah. That looks about right :) I see you also have a similar mushroom as I do and the Kenya Tree. Another potential invasive out of control coral. Tad bit easier than Xenia as you can catch the floater stalks as long as you keep an eye out before they attach.

Edit: also nice color/spectrum. Looks nice display and all.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. That looks about right :) I see you also have a similar mushroom as I do and the Kenya Tree. Another potential invasive out of control coral. Tad bit easier than Xenia as you can catch the floater stalks as long as you keep an eye out before they attach.

Edit: also nice color/spectrum. Looks nice display and all.
Thanks much, we trying lol...just two T5, I flip between two aqua blue and occasionally a true actinic if I feel a bit adventurous. . A bit of LED controllable for dusk/ dawn and supplement lighting higher on the whites there daytime. Softie dominant, with a few LPS and SPS that are growing. One more image of the hairy mushrooms for good measure.
20220107_203440.jpg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the notion of if you are worried about containing it, then don’t get it. I redid my rock scape because I thought I could contain it. I was doing okay for a while but it managed to spread and I was pruning it every two weeks. I gave up. It definitely looked great in my tank but it is invasive. It will grow where ever it feels like.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back