Using biocube as a Refugium

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Mordie101, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Mordie101

Mordie101 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Anyone ever seen a biocube used as a Refugium? I am upgrading tanks and got the idea. Didn’t know if anyone has done this or thinks it’s possible. Anyone?

cracker and Captain Quint like this.

2. Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer Older than dirt! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Never seen a Biocube converted to fuge but no reason it can’t be done.. I’m using a little 4 gallon AIO as a fuge on my current build.

3. Captain Quint

Captain Quint Plank Owner of the Orca R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Had a 75g display with sump and used a 14g BioCube as a remotely dedicated fuge by removing the false wall, elevating above the sump with a gravity feed through a drilled hole in the back of the cube for PVC plump to return section of the sump. It was simply fed from an MJ600 in the baffled section of the sump.

If I can retrieve a pic from Photobucket I'll post to show you how I had it.

lion king, dantimdad, cracker and 2 others like this.
  4. Mordie101

Awesome! Hope you’re able to find it!

Captain Quint and Katrina71 like this.
  5. Mordie101

Sweet I am pretty new to all of this stuff and would like to do a DIY instead of paying even more for something I could already utilize

cracker, Captain Quint and Katrina71 like this.
  6. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

You just gave me an idea. If I get a bigger tank I could use my 29 as a sump/fuge. Remind me of this...

7. Captain Quint

Captain Quint Plank Owner of the Orca R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

@Mordie101 sorry for the cruddy pic. It was one of the old cheap digital's from ~2009

This pic is from 2011 and I had run it for a few years before the date of the pic. I cannot retrieve the pics of building it but perhaps this old pic will give some kind of idea about using a BioCube.

Sorry, it is all I can retrieve. Photobucket is so hard to get anything from nowadays. argh.

Picture253.jpg

Picture254.jpg

8. Mordie101

Absolutely will. I am looking into it for my upgrade and if I do it I’ll post all about it in the build thread

Katrina71 and Captain Quint like this.
  9. Mordie101

Great! So basically you removed the plastic wall, drilled a whole in the back and just let the water fall out into the sump? You fed it with the pump and just kinda had the feed hose held into the top of the tank?

Captain Quint likes this.
  10. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I bet Octoaquatics could make a director for your water to have a controlled spill over.

Captain Quint and Mordie101 like this.
  11. Mordie101

Interesting option! I was considering adding a bulkhead then a gate valve at easy access and maybe some easy cleaning? Small 1 inch pvc that could run into the sump at a controlled rate.. hmm. Time to spitball as little more on it

Captain Quint and Katrina71 like this.
  12. Captain Quint

Yes, I drilled the hole toward the top of the back glass after removing the false wall, used a bulkhead for attaching PVC to drain to the return of wet/dry sump then used the MJ600 with vinyl tubing over the top of the BC adjusting to input to return ratio. It worked well and never had an overflow of fuge nor sump if I did a power off test. Worked quite well with a small PH in the fuge too.

Mordie101 and Katrina71 like this.
  13. Captain Quint

I agree. ^^^

I was not going for anything fancy. It was just a simple 'working tank'. :)

Mordie101 and Katrina71 like this.
  14. Katrina71

I don't do nearly as pretty DIY... Octoaquatics does incredible work! You guys will see some freaking cool stuff after Christmas...

tom01, Captain Quint and Mordie101 like this.
  15. Mordie101

Great! Thanks for the reply and the advice! If I do this I’ll be sure to give credit where credit is due!!

Katrina71 likes this.
  16. Captain Quint

It just always been fun to try different stuff like that. Once I drilled a 5g and used it as a remote fuge on a shelf above a 29g BioCube. haha, Crazy part is that it worked great.

I just wish I had better access to ~7,000 pics on the dreaded Photobucket. argh.

17. Mordie101

That’s awesome. Hate you have trouble accessing everything. I’m just excited someone’s tried an idea I thought about and it actually worked for once hahaha

18. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award North Alabama Reef Club

So it was you that I saw that from!

I was about to post that I had seen a pic of it done.

:D

Captain Quint and Mordie101 like this.
  19. Mordie101

Quick question.. where in your sump did you put the mj600? Would I put it before my skimmer or after it or in another compartment all together?

20. Captain Quint

After the skimmer. On this particular one, I had it in in a baffled section if I remember correctly.

Mordie101 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted