Using bleach in display tank to kill ich?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no livestock, just drain and dry everything thoroughly, then refill. Ich can't survive that.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you’re looking to do things quickly without having to re-cycle your tank, Projects with Sam’s suggestion is probably your best bet - Jay Hemdal has a thread on here discussing fallow periods, and he says that you can do a 45 day (minimum) fallow period if your temp is cranked up to 81F (it’s important not to let it drop below that). As mentioned, if you do a 30 day copper treatment and two week observation period, it pretty much works out that the fish are good to go at the same time as the tank (only have to wait a day).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live with ich and live with ich management which is just running UV sterilizer. All my fish never have ich showing now but if the fish aren’t happy they can get it again but that is any fish even after quarantine can get sick.
Yep. Most tanks are going to have ich, just like most humans have e.coli and MRSA on/in our bodies, but only those susceptible due to illness/injury/ weakened immunity will become infected.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Long story short, I did not QT my fish properly and after what I thought was a successful QT regime, 2 weeks after putting my first pair of clowns into my newly setup tank, there was an ich outbreak...

It killed one of my clowns but the other one made it and is back in QT for a proper QT copper power treatment.

Since the tank was brand new and these were the first two fish in the tank, the tank is completely empty of any living things (aside from the bacteria).

But the tank has the ich parasite in it now...

The tank only has my scape and sand in it now. Can I use bleach in the QT tank to absolutely kill any possible remnants of the parasite in any of its forms?

I've read the best way is to let the tank run for 75 days and in that time the parasite will die as it cannot find a host... Probably/maybe/most likely... possibly.

I'm looking for a way to be like yeah... any living thing in that tank is dead... 100% and for it not to take 75 days...

Thanks!
Also Sean before you put copper or meds in your tank don’t do it also don’t add bleach if you want to have inverts like shrimp or crabs. They can’t survive with that stuff in the water or in the rock and they stay on the rock all day.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Most tanks are going to have ich, just like most humans have e.coli and MRSA on/in our bodies, but only those susceptible due to illness/injury/ weakened immunity will become infected.
That’s why I believe in the philosophy of keeping the fish in the DT instead of a hospital tank where they could end up stressed. They are in their natural environment.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I believe in the philosophy of keeping the fish in the DT instead of a hospital tank where they could end up stressed. They are in their natural environment.
To be fair, he said one fish already died, and he's doing his best to save the other.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, he said one fish already died, and he's doing his best to save the other.
If he doesn’t get the UV up velvet could kill his second fish. I have every disease in my tank, where I bought my fish put all their fish in the same dam tank. That tank also has coral so they don’t use meds. It’s literally a disease fest haha and my fish are fine. :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he doesn’t get the UV up velvet could kill his second fish. I have every disease in my tank, where I bought my fish put all their fish in the same dam tank. That tank also has coral so they don’t use meds. It’s literally a disease fest haha and my fish are fine. :)
I understand completely and don't disagree with your methods (I believe PaulB also manages his systems this way). But it's more difficult for someone new to the hobby to successfully achieve this... especially those who try to cut corners ;)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's not the best comparison. Marine ich is not naturally living on fish in a harmless manner. Its also probably not accurate to say "most" tanks are going to have it.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the question can be boiled down to:

What is the best way to quickly make absolute certain that all the Ich has been killed in a display tank with no fish in it? (without replacing all the rock and sand).

PEFVmAy.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the best way to quickly make absolute certain that all the Ich has been killed in a display tank with no fish in it? (without replacing all the rock and sand).

PEFVmAy.jpg
Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running the tank at 86F for 2 weeks should also starve out ich.

D0E9662E-8506-40B0-92EE-496A67E025EF.jpeg

This looks to be the ticket... I don't have to waste any salt water and I can crank the tank to 86F no problem, and I can even hold it there for 30 days as that how long it's going to take me to treat the clownfish with copper anyway...

Crank the tank to 86F leave it there for 30 days with no fish in it. In the meantime I'm QTing the clowns. After 30 days of fallow+86F, do a big water change, and put the clowns in...

Fast and seems guaranteed, and wastes little water... I'm in SoCal and they are getting very strict with water usage.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to be the ticket... I don't have to waste any salt water and I can crank the tank to 86F no problem, and I can even hold it there for 30 days as that how long it's going to take me to treat the clownfish with copper anyway...

Crank the tank to 86F leave it there for 30 days with no fish in it. In the meantime I'm QTing the clowns. After 30 days of fallow+86F, do a big water change, and put the clowns in...

Fast and seems guaranteed, and wastes little water... I'm in SoCal and they are getting very strict with water usage.
This should have a relatively minimal impact on your beneficial bacteria. Seems like an ideal solution for your situation. I WOULD ride it out for 30 days, you know, in case.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PEFVmAy.jpg
Love the scape crank heat and go from there

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PEFVmAy.jpg
76 days with no fish

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen a formula fore how much bleach to add to a display tank with saltwater in it, probably because that method has not been vetted by anyone.

A complete restart is the only option I would every consider with the use of bleach.
Completely empty the tank.
Add a very strong mix of bleach (e.g. maybe 1 gallon of bleach that has no soap or fragrance additives to 50 gallon of water?) and fresh water to the tank, wash it down and let it soak over a day or two. Empty, soak and rinse with fresh water for several days, and dry the tank and it should be like new. Wear gloves and do this outdoors.
Remove any rock and sand and clean in buckets with the same fresh water bleach mix.
Then soak the rocks and sand for several days in fresh water.
Same process for any filtration, skimmers, etc attached to the tank.
Everything that was in the tank will be killed, bacteria, ich, etc. So you will be completely starting from scratch.

I have also heard that chlorine will dissapate in a matter of days, but I'm not so sure. Think about city water supplies. Chlorine added to the water stored in water tanks does not loose its potency before being distributed to homes and businesses. Chlorine testing might be a good idea if you are not doing a "complete" restart.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use bleach but the sand needs to come out. Your better off taking the sand out and tossing it. Take the rock (if it was dry rock from the beginning LIVE ROCK DONT DO THIS) and soak them overnight in bleach. Then rinse rock and let sit outside for a few days. Then fill the tank with water and add bleach. Run the tank with pumps on for a few hours. Then drain and refill and wash out well. Ive done this before and so far so good.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back