Using Coral Dip at Higher Concentrations & For Longer Duration

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have folks used coral dips at higher concentrations/dosage and/or kept their corals in the dip for longer than what the instructions on the bottle say?

I’m personally using Coral Rx for flatworms on Euphilia and doesn’t seem to be killing them off.

Some have suggested higher concentration for longer, but just wondered if other folks have had issues doing this?

RedCarpetReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have never followed the exact dosing instructions on Coral RX or Revive and have never seen ill effects during 15-25 min dips. Sometimes I use less sometimes I use more just depends on what I am dipping and where it came from. If you are turkey basting the coral while in the dip every few minutes 15-25 min is plenty long enough. Granted I am dipping lps and zoas. Acro I would be more weary of especially if you are using dips like Bayer or other stronger insecticides.

OP
OP
Macbalacano

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share that I ended up doing higher concentrations and for longer with Coral Rx and seems to be fine with the exception of Acropora. Ended up bleaching one by accident.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend against using Coral RX for acros.

What so do instead is dipping them with a high concentration of praziquantel for an hour with a small pump for circulation, than using a turkey buster to remove anything attached to the tissue.

The praziquantel does not hurt the coral, and while it isn’t killing pests - it does paralyze them and make them fall off easily.

The longer exposure time together with circulation allows the praziquantel to reach deeper into the areas that usually aren’t treated well with regular dips, and for LPS allows them to open and expose any pest that was hidden inside.

After dipping, I also look at the corals closely under a magnifying glass, looking mostly for eggs but also making sure I didn’t miss anything while using the Turku buster.

This method was developed as part of someone’s thesis in the last few years as a treatment against AEFW, and I found it to be affective in practice. If you’re interested I can look it up for you to read and implement on your own.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 little Fishies Reef Revive, and always put a tad bit than the recommended amount , never any issues. Especially when it comes to Torches and Hammers.. even in the best LFS's, they are full of bugaboos! Never hurts them.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"high concentration of praziquantel " what ratio do you use Danyl? thanks
Concentration is 1 gram of Praziquantel per 20ml of 100% Ethanol.

Praziquantel does not easily dissolve in water which is why Ethanol is used here, I used 90-95 percent instead because it what I had on hand and it worked flawlessly.
Note - Ethanol, not Methanol.

I made a solution of 240ml, so I used 12 grams in total.

Then for dipping you add 1ml per 1 Liter.

Shake bottle before using - there shouldn’t be any powder left.

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue with Revive. Normally I put a 1 or 2 cap fulls into a Tupperware then dump the bagged water and coral into there. Super concentrate but within a few minutes there's nothing moving in there. I never leave them in there for longer than a few minutes and I'm always stirring around the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back