Using Epoxy as a Shelf?

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks,

On my way back from lunch I was wondering... What if I could use a large amount of epoxy to create some type of "shelf plateau" for coral placement?

I never heard of anyone doing that, and maybe there are people out there doing it. I just wonder if you have any input on this, if so, how did you do it?

I was thinking of shaping a big chunk of epoxy into a shelf-like rock and attaching it to my rockwork. Do you think this is doable? If not, then why?

Thank you!

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer would go nuts and not be able to use it for a long time ;Smuggrin

I've read reviews on the use of epoxy saying that the skimmer would go nuts for some time, not forever. Even if using a large amount of epoxy, the skimmer should calm down after a day or two?

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small marble size for gluing a frag and I have to dial it back to zero for a day
I personally wouldn't put that much epoxy in my tank...no one knows for sure if it leeches into your system forever or not...my stuff is too expensive to risk that

reefsofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read reviews on the use of epoxy saying that the skimmer would go nuts for some time, not forever. Even if using a large amount of epoxy, the skimmer should calm down after a day or two?
no it wont I use epoxy to attach my corals to the rocks just using a small amount makes the protein skimmer go crazy for 24 hours so a larger piece would take much longer to cure. I guess you could soak it first

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back