OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is years old now, just wondering if you ever did put together a more detailed how-to with photos of the process? You make it sound so easy (and cheap and obviously effective) but possibly above and beyond my electrical DIY skill level.
I did actually.

justusgra1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better late than never I guess...I bought a ground probe, glad I read some of this long thread, I hadn't installed it yet because I wasn't sure what the extra thing hanging off it was and I'm unsure if the plug is GFI protected...I suppose I should know this in my own home. Also...I've had a saltwater tank for about 11 years and never knew about or even considered using a ground probe, but often worried about the "what if" scenario! So thank you for this post from years ago...lol I'm going to go plug that probe in now! auto clicker
Can I plug this (see picture) into a power strip, and the probe into this portable gfi to protect the tank?

Neotetro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently began measuring the volts of my tank and using a probe after little shocks on cuts I had when in the tank. While using the probe, there is 0 AC but 120 DC? Why would this be? Is this dangerous? I certainly don't feel anything at this point.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently began measuring the volts of my tank and using a probe after little shocks on cuts I had when in the tank. While using the probe, there is 0 AC but 120 DC? Why would this be? Is this dangerous? I certainly don't feel anything at this point.
That definitely doesn't sound right. You shouldn't be able to get a DC voltage that high in your tank.

Neotetro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading this right? mV? AC is a hard 0, no shocks

IMG_0916.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading this right? mV? AC is a hard 0, no shocks

IMG_0916.jpg
mV is millivolts, so that would be 0.2V which is likely not within the accuracy of the meter.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would using a power strip with a built GFci work with a grounding probe or should it be at the wall

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would using a power strip with a built GFci work with a grounding probe or should it be at the wall
You should be fine with the built in GFCi.

jcfons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after going through the shock of being the circuit completion, and the sudden loss of $1000’s of fish and corals in less than 24 hours, a ground probe is a must! Excellent write up!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after going through the shock of being the circuit completion, and the sudden loss of $1000’s of fish and corals in less than 24 hours, a ground probe is a must! Excellent write up!
I'm glad you liked the write up, but I am so sorry you had to go through that! Just glad you are still around to post!

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to install one soon.

I've actually been unplugging my tank every time I need to stick my hands in the water, which is rarely.

How do ground probes work in conjunction with GFC outlets? Do they achieve the same purpose? Can a ground probe be plugged into a GF outlet and does it make sense to do so?

I am catching up on this 26 page thread. Apologies if these questions have already been addressed.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do ground probes work in conjunction with GFC outlets? Do they achieve the same purpose? Can a ground probe be plugged into a GF outlet and does it make sense to do so?
Ground probes and GFCi's have 2 separate functions that compliment each other. I'll use the example of a situation where a cord starts pulling out of a pump and exposes the copper to the saltwater. Without a ground probe or a GFCI, the pump will energize the water and leach copper into the system as corrosion is accelerated by the electric current. You could potentially get a dangerous shock if you stick your hand in the tank. If you run only a GFCI, the pump will energize the water until you put your hand in the system and create a path to ground, which will trip the GFCI. If you run only a ground probe, current will flow through the ground probe until the main circuit breaker trips or the ground probe wiring melts. If you run a ground probe and GFCI, as soon as the cord starts pulling out, the ground probe will allow current to flow, tripping the GFCI immediately.

Ground probes can be plugged into any grounded outlet, it doesn't need to be in the GFCI.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread. This might be a dumb question, but where do I buy a grounding probe? I figured it was something BRS would have. But didn’t see it
Here you go. This looks like the one I installed 15 years ago and it still in good shape.
Comes in single or double pack.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Amazon, ebay, Marine depot, aquarium specialties and Aqua cave

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those probes are a nice to have item for the tank. But we should all know how to find the root cause of stray voltages in our tanks and fix the problem.

How to Test for Stray Voltage
  1. Purchase or borrow a voltage meter. They can generally be found for less than $20 at most automotive parts or hardware stores. Try Harbor Freight. I personally use Fluke equipment for testing both at home and on the job.
  2. Turn the selector to "120 AC Voltage."
  3. Insert the tip of the black probe into the third or "grounding" hole in an electrical outlet.
  4. Insert the metal tip of the red probe into the aquarium water.
  5. Watch the meter needle for any movement. Any needle movement indicates a voltage leak in your system. Digital meters will show a number reading.
How to Identify the Voltage Leak Source
  • One at a time, disconnect each electrical appliance (heaters, pumps, lights, chiller, filter) associated with your aquarium, retesting for voltage as described above after each unit is disconnected.
  • Heaters and water pumps (powerheads) are the most frequent cause of voltage leaks. These devices have 120 volts of electricity feeding into them, which is enough to do a lot of damage in a saltwater aquarium.
  • When the damaged electrical device is found, disconnect it from the electrical circuit carefully. Keep your hands out of the aquarium and don't handle equipment with wet hands in order to avoid electrical shock.
How to Solve the Voltage Leak
  • Replace (recommended) or repair the faulty unit. Test the aquarium water once again to make sure that you have eliminated the problem.
Cheers,
Alex

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back