Using Noce Tumbled Travertine tiles from Home Depot for frag disc's

jdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope someone can help me. I read a thread about using marble tiles for frag disc's and thought it was a great idea. So i bought these 3x6 Noce Tumbled Travertine tiles from Home Depot thinking I could cut them in half for 3x3 tiles. They also have 1x1 2x2 and 4x4 tiles. I search and only found out that (Travertine is a type of "morphed" limestone, where the lime content has been deposited by water. Travertine is about 50 million years old. Travertine Pavers are ideal for use around the pool and patio areas, for they will stay cool on your feet and are freeze-thaw compatible. Travertine pavers have a non-slip surface finish, for they have a high co-efficient of friction. Travertine pavers can withstand weathering and erosion without deteriorating. It is known that Travertine material improves with age. Colors will not fade over time. Travertine pavers will maintain their natural color for decades. Another great benefit is that Travertine pavers require little to no maintenance or cleaning. They are simply a natural hardwearing stone. Travertine is a versatile, durable and reliable material.) So I'm thinking these may work great but I'm worried about the word limestone? These would work really great only if they are safe!! thanks much

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are not the ones ive been using. mine are tumbled marble chiaro the number on the box(4x4) is 95152 distributed by PGM made in turkey.

i also use some 2x2 ones which are also made in turkey and come on a mesh back. it jsut says premium mosaics the bar cod number is 747583008732

OP
OP
J

jdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are not the ones ive been using. mine are tumbled marble chiaro the number on the box(4x4) is 95152 distributed by PGM made in turkey.

i also use some 2x2 ones which are also made in turkey and come on a mesh back. it jsut says premium mosaics the bar cod number is 747583008732
Thank you, I'll check those out for sure!!! Do you think the ones I'm talking about would be ok or to if'y?

gumby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how long have you been using them?

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates tend to bond loosely with calcium carbonate. If the tiles were formed in a phosphate rich environment you might have issues. There is always a chance a it having other things like metals and toxins. You can always toss one in the tank and see what happens.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'll check those out for sure!!! Do you think the ones I'm talking about would be ok or to if'y?

i do not know if the ones your talking about are alright or not. the trick to it is use the ones that dont have green, red, or many of the other colors.
the backing is ok from everything i have seen. its similar to those clear mesh screens that brs sells.
some of the tiles have some filler in the holes i dont use those types. that filler does dissolve in ro/di water though, but you have to wipe the tiles and get that stuff out because it is like a sticky goo in the soaking bucket.
if you do a search youll find many threads about the tiles on multiple forums.

how long have you been using them?

oh i dunno about 6-8 months roughly

Phosphates tend to bond loosely with calcium carbonate. If the tiles were formed in a phosphate rich environment you might have issues. There is always a chance a it having other things like metals and toxins. You can always toss one in the tank and see what happens.

your spot on rick. hence why i soak them in in ro/di water. i have never had an algae issue with the tiles unlike with some ceramic plugs. yea there is a chance of impurities you gotta soak them and pick the ones that are not red, or green.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back