Using packaged frozen for homemade fish food?

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to look into making frozen food for my fish and was debating between all seafood from the counter/packaged or a mix of both.

Before I continue going through the math to decide which is more cost effective should packaged frozen even be considered? Is it safe?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to look into making frozen food for my fish and was debating between all seafood from the counter/packaged or a mix of both.

Before I continue going through the math to decide which is more cost effective should packaged frozen even be considered? Is it safe?
Do you have access to fresh seafood? Some frozen seafood is processed. Always check the ingredients. Some is also cooked which I’m sure isn’t good for our fish.

OP
OP
NeptuneRjo

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have access to fresh seafood? Some frozen seafood is processed. Always check the ingredients. Some is also cooked which I’m sure isn’t good for our fish.
Yeah I have access to fresh, was just wondering if packaged should even be considered. Thanks

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have access to fresh, was just wondering if packaged should even be considered. Thanks
You can. And I have. I mean, we do buy frozen fish food so frozen doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just make sure it’s from a trustworthy source.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that Arkansas doesn't exactly have the freshest seafood available at all times, I'd say yeah. If the food is discolored, then I wouldn't use it, but otherwise, it should be very close in nutritional value. Sometimes, it's even superior based off of the collection technique.

Example: If the food is flash frozen while on the collection vessel, then everything is locked in. Whereas if the food is just kept on ice, various biological processes have already started to happen. But, if you're picking up something like a blue crab (why does Arkansas have blue crabs available alive....), then the still living kind is superior to its frozen equivalent.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that Arkansas doesn't exactly have the freshest seafood available at all times, I'd say yeah. If the food is discolored, then I wouldn't use it, but otherwise, it should be very close in nutritional value. Sometimes, it's even superior based off of the collection technique.

Example: If the food is flash frozen while on the collection vessel, then everything is locked in. Whereas if the food is just kept on ice, various biological processes have already started to happen. But, if you're picking up something like a blue crab (why does Arkansas have blue crabs available alive....), then the still living kind is superior to its frozen equivalent.
why did you mention Arkansas?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make mine with frozen and haven't had any issues. Frozen is easier to work with if you are making big batches. Then again I did add everything but the kitchen sink into my fish food.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back