Using Phytoplankton to Combat Cyanobacteria

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I was feeding my tank phyto frequently then got a little lazy with the holidays and everything. During that time I notice I started having cyano outbreak. Did the usual testing for nutrient levels and had a little elevated phophates. Bought them down some and obviously still have cyano that was popping up here and there. Also doing carbon dosing (vinegar) so that may have a little to do with it as well.

But with this happening, it got me thinking, was feeding the phyto frequently keeping the cyano at bay? I did some research and found this study about it:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00288330.1987.9516242

The part that I am wondering about is this section:

upload_2019-1-18_11-41-32.png

Since we do not really have an abundance of zooplankton in our systems (someone please correct me if I am wrong), the thought is that by feeding the phytoplankton, it consumes nutrients (and feeding the inhabitants), then either get filtered out/skimmed/die (releasing nutrients) will out compete the cyano. I have noticed that my cyano isn't coming back nearly as fast since I began feeding large qty of phytoplankton daily again. Time will tell, but this is interesting stuff.

Anyone else notice anything like this or maybe the opposite effect?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a quick read through the paper, grazing of phytoplankton reduces its levels & cyano can proliferate due to less competition for nutrients (nitrogen & phosphate).
For phyto to out compete cyano in the aquarium you would need living phyto, to photosynthesise & take up the nutrients. Macro algae will do the same job.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree regarding macroalgae. I used to dose phyto to support a greater pod population. My cyano got worse when I stopped dosing phyto.

Yes macro does the same thing for sure. But when I am thinking about my overall system, my ultimate goal is to hopefully one day be to have all live food culture. I also have macro algae that does extremely well. Crazy that you noticed the same thing when you stop dosing phyto. I wholeheartedly believe in using the phytoplankton for obviously reasons, but if it also helps keep certain types of algae at bay like cyano, people have kinda given it a bad rap because they either aren't doing some of the other things that go along with having a success reef.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a quick read through the paper, grazing of phytoplankton reduces its levels & cyano can proliferate due to less competition for nutrients (nitrogen & phosphate).
For phyto to out compete cyano in the aquarium you would need living phyto, to photosynthesise & take up the nutrients. Macro algae will do the same job.

Yes I use living phytoplankton. Culture it myself.

saltgeek1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across this posting and I have been dealing with red cyanobacteria for the past twelve months (feels like ten years). The main reason I started to search on this topic was due in part to the results I have witnessed today. My red cyano is dying off.

giphy.gif

I started to dose Algae Barn's OceanMagik @ the recommended dose. I will update this thread in a few days.

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across this posting and I have been dealing with red cyanobacteria for the past twelve months (feels like ten years). The main reason I started to search on this topic was due in part to the results I have witnessed today. My red cyano is dying off.

giphy.gif

I started to dose Algae Barn's OceanMagik @ the recommended dose. I will update this thread in a few days.
What’s your current results?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m testing this theory on my tank. I had both dinos and Cyano. The dinos started dying out prior to my live phyto arriving so I can’t attribute dosing it to that. As far as Cyano goes, I have not seen it get worse but I haven’t been doing much manual removal either. Where I do disturb it, it does not seem to be growing back. I got my live phyto on here from @Eldredge. Can I guarantee that the phyto is out competing, no. But that’s the only change I’ve made recently. No lighting changes. I have a refugium full of cheato too but still had the Cyano issue with it (but I didn’t give it much time so it may be a combo thing). Sorry it’s inconclusive but I do believe it helps out compete

saltgeek1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your current results?
Sorry for the very late response, I totally got rid of the cyanobacteria and decided to stop dosing for the past few months and just like magic it started again. I have a new shipment coming in from Algae Barn, then I will look into growing my own.

Drew1900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the very late response, I totally got rid of the cyanobacteria and decided to stop dosing for the past few months and just like magic it started again. I have a new shipment coming in from Algae Barn, then I will look into growing my own.
Nice! I introduced and have maintained a healthy copepod and amphipod population and it’s had nothing but a positive effect on the tank. I dose phyto every day and their population has stayed steady for the last 6+ months.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back