Using seneye in both QT ans Display

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the golden rule is dont put anything in your display tank which has been used in copper based quarentine tanks...however..

I have a seneye which I bought for the par meter. The only other use I have for it is monitoring no3 when quarentining. I know plastics can absorb copper and leach it back out but would it really be a big risk if I was to thoroughly rinse my seneye and use it briefly every now and then to check par in my Dt?

If I don't leave it submerged in my dt water, the chances of leaching any copper is pretty slim....right? Even if it did leach slightly during the 1 or 2 minutes its submerged..I have 700 litres in my system...would it really do any harm?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know the golden rule is dont put anything in your display tank which has been used in copper based quarentine tanks...however..

I have a seneye which I bought for the par meter. The only other use I have for it is monitoring no3 when quarentining. I know plastics can absorb copper and leach it back out but would it really be a big risk if I was to thoroughly rinse my seneye and use it briefly every now and then to check par in my Dt?

If I don't leave it submerged in my dt water, the chances of leaching any copper is pretty slim....right? Even if it did leach slightly during the 1 or 2 minutes its submerged..I have 700 litres in my system...would it really do any harm?
I do not believe there is any risk. Depending on the volume of the tank. Most copper residue will easily wash off glass, etc. There is copper in the ocean as well - its a matter of concentration

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe there is any risk. Depending on the volume of the tank. Most copper residue will easily wash off glass, etc. There is copper in the ocean as well - its a matter of concentration
My thought also. Surely a small soak and thorough rinse of the seneye is going to flush any copper water out and then will the plastic have enough time to emit any nasty stuff in one or 2 mins of use! Probably not.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My thought also. Surely a small soak and thorough rinse of the seneye is going to flush any copper water out and then will the plastic have enough time to emit any nasty stuff in one or 2 mins of use! Probably not.
First - you dont know 'how much copper is in the plastic (if any). Second - im saying - imho - you're overanalyzing. If you want to check it - soak your probe in a cup in clean water - buy a copper checker - my guess is it will not be an issue. I wouldn't do this - I would think - ok - how much plastic is in that probe - how much Cu was in the water - how much could have been 'taken up' - and what volume you're putting the probe into - do a rough calculation - it will be minuscule IMHO

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back