using vinegar to disinfect a tank?

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank thats been sitting in my office neglected since covid started. Without a doubt covered in algae, aiptasia, etc.

I plan to tear it down and bring it home and start it back up.

Whats the easiest way to clean and sterilize everything?

I was going to soak the rocks in bleach for a few days, then in fresh water for a few days, swap the water, a few more days then dry it out.

The sand I am just going to replace entirely.

The tank I was not 100% sure, I was thinking of running it with freshwater and vinegar in around a 13:1 solution? Its a fluval evo so i was just going to fill it up and add a gallon of distilled vinegar and let it run for a few days.

Will this cause any problems, I see some people use vinegar with no issues and others saying the vinegar caused stuff in their tank to break down?

Once the vinegar soak is over Id scrape anyhting i need to manually, rinse everything with fresh and let the fresh water cycle through for a day before emptying and getting everything set back up.

How does my game plan sound?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I would use vinegar and scrub out the tank with a new brush, rinse with tap water and a final rinse with rodi water. vinegar will wear out the rubbers and o-rings on your equipment if you let it run for a few days

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I use a weak bleach solution to clean anything that needs sterilising and just leave it to soak for a few days or as long as you can and then rinse it down thoroughly

Id probably soak it in either vinager first, although I prefer citric acid it’s more pleasant I find, to break down any calcium deposits etc and then use the weak bleach solution and the rinse it with just normal tap water

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just a couple capfuls of vinegar is sufficient per gallon then cold water rinse

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use Citric acid rather than vinegar. Plus you can dab a bit on your finger and lick it and it reminds you of all the tangy sweets you ate as a kid.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back