UV for 1100G system

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things to consider

Stainless steel is not safe in saltwater over 17 degree C. It will corrode. Especially in low flow regions with low oxygen content
The one you have linked to is for algae (phytoplankton) removal in freshwater. IMO to low effect for a 1100 G saltwater aquarium - if the goal is to kill bacteria and parasites. IMO - you need 6 * 55 W in your system

Something like this I do not know if it is aviable in the US - but you probably have system like this. The plastic in this will be OK for 5 - 6 years (I know of own experiences :))

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anthony Mckay

Anthony Mckay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things to consider

Stainless steel is not safe in saltwater over 17 degree C. It will corrode. Especially in low flow regions with low oxygen content
The one you have linked to is for algae (phytoplankton) removal in freshwater. IMO to low effect for a 1100 G saltwater aquarium - if the goal is to kill bacteria and parasites. IMO - you need 6 * 55 W in your system

Something like this I do not know if it is aviable in the US - but you probably have system like this. The plastic in this will be OK for 5 - 6 years (I know of own experiences :))

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks Lasse that info is much appreciated. I think for the benefits I would get compared to the cost and of course where the hell I would put it rules out putting a UV on the system.
Thanks again,
Anthony.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It all depends on flow. UV sterilizers do their work in two very different flow ranges, and you can't do both. For example:

50-100 GPH: disease
350-500 GPH: algae/clarity

But, you also need to have enough turnover in the tank. 50-100 GPH cycles water fast enough for up to approximately a 400 gallon tank.

Check this out for more info:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back