Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say no more, friend! :D

7ADDDEEB-3342-477A-A842-12F0388E88BC.jpeg
HAHAHA
Can you make one that says "This tank ain't big enough for the two of us"?

OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, you guys really carried it on.
I'm very sorry for being away.
I finally got my printer hot end replaced.
I current have 5 models that I can print to you guys in two different sizes 35mm and 50mm.
After few experiments, I found out that the urchins prefer some specific shapes.
Would $6.99 for large size and $5.99 a $3.50 shipping fair to everyone?

Tall Hat
Viking
Cowboy
Vietnamese
Platter Lid (their favorite)

Tall hat_1.jpg Viking hat_1.jpg cowboy hat_2.jpg cowboy hat.jpg The plater lid.JPG

OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I can print the either in black or white.
Would $6.99 for 50mm or $5.99 for 35mm size and $3.50 shipping.
Since I do not have a specific place to sell them, PM me and let me know which type, size and color you want me to print your hat. Also your address and email for paypal payment request.

Last edited:

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I can print the either in black or white.
Since I do not have a specific place to sell them, PM me and let me know which type, size and color you want me to print your hat. Also your address and email for paypal payment request.
Wife: “Hey honey what are you doing?”
Me: “I am thinking of Buying a Viking Helmet for my urchin, or should I get him a sombrero?”
Wife: *pours herself a glass of wine and walks away*

OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are these for sale???
I did not plan on making them for sale, was just sharing it because it was a such cool experience to see urchins going for it.
But yes, for just few bucks, I am making them to whoever want them.
By the way my personal preference is black on all hats. Black is more discrete and does not show much of the 3D layers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just learned a lot today about the sea urchins, done by marine researchers.
Here is a great article by Andrew W., from NewsWeek.com, in case you guys want to know more about the sea urchins, and why they cover themselves with stuff.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned about this thread from the Newsweek article! You're famous! Anything that will fit on my longspine? What size is most appropriate for a pincushion like yours?

OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned about this thread from the Newsweek article! You're famous! Anything that will fit on my longspine? What size is most appropriate for a pincushion like yours?
To be hones, I do not have a long spine to try the hats on.
I also haven't noticed the tube feet of the long spines, which is what my urchins use to grab a hold of the hats.
You might want to get one hat to try it before wasting your money before ordering other hats.

OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some free time tomorrow and will be printing some more hats for you guys.
If anyone else wants to buy more hats, go ahead and PM me with the following information.
I'm not really making them for money, but to get as many people as possible to enjoy it and share this awesome and funny experience.

Your Email:
Your Full Name:
Your Full Address:
Hat Style & Quantity: Tall Hat, Viking, Sports Cap, Crown, Cowboy, Sedge/Asian, and Platter/Wok Cover (their favorite)
Hat Size Medium or Large:
Hat Color Black or White:

urchin_hats.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I got messages from few people not knowing what size of hats they need.
To give you all an idea between the medium and large size, my urchins vary between 30-50mm (1.25" - 2.0") total diameter, and they prefer the medium size hats which are between 35mm-40mm diameter.
I tried giving them larger hats ans they will take it, but they too often let the hats loose, possibly due the water flow from my pumps.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to picture this. Do u just throw these in the tank anywhere. Or do u put it on the urchin and it holds it. And when they release it do you do it all over again. Or do they hold it for good. I'm still shocked I'm reading this

OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to picture this. Do u just throw these in the tank anywhere. Or do u put it on the urchin and it holds it. And when they release it do you do it all over again. Or do they hold it for good. I'm still shocked I'm reading this
It depends, on the urchin and hat style.
I have a tuxedo that is carrying his Plater/Wok cover for weeks. Placed the hat on him, and he never let it go since.
The Plater cover, which Bowl would be a better word, is their favorite, due to its perfect fit, shape and low profile which means great cover and no water flow or rocks to drag or fight against.
When I see a hat laying at the bottom of the tank, most of the time I get my tweezers and place the it near to the urchin if it's not hidden, otherwise I drop the hat by the urchin's typical path. Since they are very active at night, and in the morning you see the urchin with the hat on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back