UV inside of skimmer?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of these till I broke it
Aquarium Water Clean Green Algae Clean Waterproof Clean Lamp with Timing Function for Pond Fish Tank Sump Pump (12Watt)
by Taysing.
Learn more:Amazon link
If your Spidey Senses are tingling, I saw no UL listing either, but for under 20 bucks and a clear algae free skimmer I would chance it. It’s definitely not “lab grade”
My questions are. does anyone have. a link from someone doing something similar? I’d like to know if this will cause skimmer performance issues if placed inside the bubble chamber, maybe just outside?
Also wonder if there is any chemical affect on organic gunk removal?

....couldn’t decide if here. or chemistry forum was best, mods please move repost if more appropriate

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least it will discolour your skimmer, may make it brittle I would of thought, also it’s really not good for your eyes to look at the light
thank you, I was only thinking of fighting that ugly algae that coats the inside of clear skimmer bodies, hand,t thought about plastic exposed to uv... now that I think about it the sun does make some plastics discolor and become brittle.

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean from a fugue light? Best way to do that is block the light getting to it, can be done with black plastic film stuck on The skimmer body itself or making a partition to keep the skimmer From getting the light black acrylic stuck to baffles etc

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean from a fugue light? Best way to do that is block the light getting to it, can be done with black plastic film stuck on The skimmer body itself or making a partition to keep the skimmer From getting the light black acrylic stuck to baffles etc
exactly, seems even a lil light makes for gunk inside the skimmer body. I was. thinking about just dropping. one of those cheapo UV lights in the body but if its gonna degrade the plastic, I dunno

...also been thinking about blocking. the sump light somehow, looking for. easy solutions

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are used to run my UV into my skimmer chamber and I never ever had a problem with it one day I noticed that my Chito was not spinning in the chamber next to it so I diverted the water flow from the UV light into my Chito chamber anyway without wanting to involuntarily turn that whole chamber into an Algae scrubber,,Within two weeks or LG was growing on the side walls and bottom of shaver and Chito died off now I have left it the way it is for the past four months and it just seems to be working great I have no excuse or idea why but I made my own Algae scrubber by mistake
Go figure

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are used to run my UV into my skimmer chamber and I never ever had a problem with it one day I noticed that my Chito was not spinning in the chamber next to it so I diverted the water flow from the UV light into my Chito chamber anyway without wanting to involuntarily turn that whole chamber into an Algae scrubber,,Within two weeks or LG was growing on the side walls and bottom of shaver and Chito died off now I have left it the way it is for the past four months and it just seems to be working great I have no excuse or idea why but I made my own Algae scrubber by mistake
Go figure
weird, you saying the UV outlet water or is it the UV light itself that killed the chaeto?
Also, you saying you didn’t notice any plastic damage. from the Uv rays?

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go figure

It was my understanding he meant, just a uv bulb...not a uv “unit”

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird, you saying the UV outlet water or is it the UV light itself that killed the chaeto?
Also, you saying you didn’t notice any plastic damage. from the Uv rays?
I believe Cheato died because it was not getting nutrients to needed because when algae grew in chamber cheato just wilted away. I honestly have no idea why nor do I care because what’s going on now is working great so I’m leaving it alone. Again no clue why

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back