BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I have used both of these and they are great. One requires replumbing while the other does not.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want to use it for. Bacterial doesn’t take a lot but if you want to use it for parasites you are going to need a big one. I am running a 40watt and a 55watt on my 220gal. Both pentair UV‘s. Make sure to flow at speeds they require.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 120 gallon it's reasonably affordable to get one UV with constant flow to handle both algae and pathogens.

Plan on at least 8x turnover per hour (960gph) at min exposure for algae. This high turnover is to keep up with some species of dinoflagellate reproduction rate.

The high exposure for pathogens (ich for ex) is needed to kill or damage more complex organisms.

So looking at Aqua UV charts (don't buy filter that doesn't have flow/exposure charts) you can see a high exposure at 967 gph for a 40 watt unit.

Getting right sized pump to flow 967 gph with a closed loop set up (all flow through UV filter and not sump connection) will protect your tank from both constantly.

Changing any of the above will require recalculating flow needed at appropriate UV exposure.

Also note that at high end some state up to and over 120000 uw/cm2 exposure needed for some pathogens. You may wish to go with 57 watt unit.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had any problem out of them
i broke one of the connectors once (the little blue clear plastic end).. it was easy to replace. other than that, nope. i have 2 of them for years now.. bulbs can get pricey (i have had hit or miss luck with amazon off-brand).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't necessarily need 8x turnover for your UV - not when the typical turnover for a system is 3-5x. I have a 57-watt AquaUV running 565 Gph which is a turnover of about 2.85x. This gives me almost double the radiation exposure for parasites.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back