UV or No UV - That is the question....

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 33g zoa/paly frag tank which is plumbed into my larger system. Over time I've seen different zoas/palys melt and I have assumed it was due to different infections after fragging (I dip with revive or Coral Rx - depending on what I have). I have been considering adding some UV and was wondering what different people thought about it.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV will take out good things as well as some of the bad things. Unless you have a really big one, you are not going to get all of the bad things that are in the water column.

salty92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I dont believe it would make that much of a difference. Remember this is just another piece of equipment that you have to add to the power bill and a bulb that need replacement. As long as you are getting your fish and coral from a reputable fish store and not directly from the ocean you should be fine!

OP
OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I dont believe it would make that much of a difference. Remember this is just another piece of equipment that you have to add to the power bill and a bulb that need replacement. As long as you are getting your fish and coral from a reputable fish store and not directly from the ocean you should be fine!
Really? I always thought zoanthids can become more susceptible to infections when stressed or freshly cut...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back