UV questions

Is UV sterilizer worth it?

• Total voters

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’m thinking of adding a UV sterilizer to my tank soon, have heard great things about it also heard a few people say it’s a waste of money. But I’ve looked into one from BRS and with a DC pump as recommended by someone on here I think it’s good to have. I also spoke to a guy who has been in the hobby for years (he owns a business of setting up tanks and maintaining them around here), retiring sometime this year, who swears by them. So I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think and or suggest. I know the UV kills unwanted parasites, algae, prevents algal blooms. Does it kill the nitrifying or “good”bacteria? Like the bottled bacteria stuff? I have a 200 gallon RedSea system. No corals or inverts, currently tank is running fallow for a couple weeks. In about two weeks I’ll be introducing the fish again along with some new fish which are currently QT in my LFS. I also heard about ozone but really no knowledge on what that is, doesn’t sound very good to have in a tank though.
Also my tank is at 88F fallow right now, would it be ok if I turn off my skimmer and add in fritz turbo start bacteria? I don’t think the temp should affect the bacteria adversely but want to make sure.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’m thinking of adding a UV sterilizer to my tank soon, have heard great things about it also heard a few people say it’s a waste of money. But I’ve looked into one from BRS and with a DC pump as recommended by someone on here I think it’s good to have. I also spoke to a guy who has been in the hobby for years (he owns a business of setting up tanks and maintaining them around here), retiring sometime this year, who swears by them. So I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think and or suggest. I know the UV kills unwanted parasites, algae, prevents algal blooms. Does it kill the nitrifying or “good”bacteria? Like the bottled bacteria stuff? I have a 200 gallon RedSea system. No corals or inverts, currently tank is running fallow for a couple weeks. In about two weeks I’ll be introducing the fish again along with some new fish which are currently QT in my LFS. I also heard about ozone but really no knowledge on what that is, doesn’t sound very good to have in a tank though.
Also my tank is at 88F fallow right now, would it be ok if I turn off my skimmer and add in fritz turbo start bacteria? I don’t think the temp should affect the bacteria adversely but want to make sure.
I have a UV sterilizer and it keeps the water very clear. It will kill anything that goes through it. If your tank is new you could wait on it for now. The temp on your tank is very high for salt water. Is there a way to bring it down? High temps equal less oxygen in the water. I don’t know about ozone so hopefully someone will chime in. Good luck!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find UV invaluable, but you need to understand how it works.

It doesn't kill anything, it sterilises the organism so that it can no longer replicate.
Different organisms need different UV exposure to sterilise them, so you cannot have a single UV do many tasks at the same time.

You can choose a flow rate that will prevent algae or bacterial blooms, which is a fast flow rate as they are simple organisms.

For control of protozoa or other complex organisms, you need a much slower flow rate to give enough UV exposure for sterilization. A slow flow like that will not help with algae as the algae replicates faster than the time to turnover the tank water volume.

UV will only sterilise whatever goes through the unit, 'good bacteria' live on surfaces such as rock and do not normally exist in the water column, so they will remain untouched.

If you add bacterial products to the water, you need to turn off the UV for several hours to allow the replication and distribution of the bacterial strain.

Ozone is also useful for other reasons, there are many other threads if you search the forums.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s helpful, for my tank it has helped manage ich and keep the water clear. No experience with ozone though I want to try it one day.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have reasonable expectations, running a properly sized UV can be a useful tool in managing your tank. For example, if you want it to be effective as a sterilizer, you have to make sure you meet the slower flow guidelines (I use 10 gallon/hour/watt for UVC models) but also move enough total water per hour. You do not need multiple UV, but one set to clarify will not sterilize; one set to sterilize will also clarify (but must be larger). UV is democratic, it will affect anything (algae, bacteria, parasites, viruses) that passes over the bulb, regardless of whether you view it as good or bad. Also, be mindful that the UV is essentially a heater.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry guys I should’ve clarified regarding the temp. My tank is running fallow because I had an Ich outbreak months ago, I was able to manage it and my fish did well. Recently I lost a lot of fish because I rinsed live rock depleting a lot of my “good bacteria” it caused ammonia issues and I lost a lot of my fish. The fish I have are stable but because it was more manageable I moved them to a temp holding tank with copper while I cranked up my DT heat and it’s running fallow to remove any ICH before I put the fish back along with the new fish. Great inputs for UV, I’ll definitely be getting one, the plumbing is another thing I’m worried about. Another question, if my tank is running fallow, would it be ok to put in fritz turbo start with no fish? Should I throw in food there?

get-salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hello Newreef1. just wanted to say that UV doesnt kill bacteria. Its sterilizes and maintain a low minimal level of the bad stuff. As for clear water goes, i dont see the difference in my tank. Maybe i feed to much nori haha

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry guys I should’ve clarified regarding the temp. My tank is running fallow because I had an Ich outbreak months ago, I was able to manage it and my fish did well. Recently I lost a lot of fish because I rinsed live rock depleting a lot of my “good bacteria” it caused ammonia issues and I lost a lot of my fish. The fish I have are stable but because it was more manageable I moved them to a temp holding tank with copper while I cranked up my DT heat and it’s running fallow to remove any ICH before I put the fish back along with the new fish. Great inputs for UV, I’ll definitely be getting one, the plumbing is another thing I’m worried about. Another question, if my tank is running fallow, would it be ok to put in fritz turbo start with no fish? Should I throw in food there?
I don’t see an issue adding bacteria, probably not necessary unless you completely killed all the bacteria in your tank but I doubt that. If you’re trying to make sure the tank is cycled maybe add some ammonia to the tank like Dr. Tim’s sells and see if it clears up the ammonia, might be less of a mess than throwing food in there.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see an issue adding bacteria, probably not necessary unless you completely killed all the bacteria in your tank but I doubt that. If you’re trying to make sure the tank is cycled maybe add some ammonia to the tank like Dr. Tim’s sells and see if it clears up the ammonia, might be less of a mess than throwing food in there.
I just tested my ammonia and it’s still at .25 ppm. I was at zero before. So that’s why I’m adding the bacteria to make sure the ammonia goes down.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Newreef1. just wanted to say that UV doesnt kill bacteria. It’s sterilizes and maintain a low minimal level of the bad stuff. As for clear water goes, i dont see the difference in my tank. Maybe i feed to much nori haha
Thanks, I guess even keeping the stuff low is good if that means healthy fish lol. Do you run chemipure? That really helped me clear my tank up.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I know the UV kills unwanted parasites, algae, prevents algal blooms."

Does it though? Does it? What about all of the bacterioplankton and phytoplankton in the water column that are scanned by zooplankton and coral? UV wterilisers are good at removing pelagic bacteria and plankton, that's it.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I know the UV kills unwanted parasites, algae, prevents algal blooms."

Does it though? Does it? What about all of the bacterioplankton and phytoplankton in the water column that are scanned by zooplankton and coral? UV wterilisers are good at removing pelagic bacteria and plankton, that's it.
Lol you reminded my of Luke from modern family. Im not sure man, that’s why I posted the thread. Either way it seems like a good idea, one way it “decreases” the parasites which is good because my fish will do good. The other way it “better” water clarity which is also good!

get-salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks, I guess even keeping the stuff low is good if that means healthy fish lol. Do you run chemipure? That really helped me clear my tank up.
i used to run chemipure when i had freshwater. i dont mess w / that stuff anymore. i change out filters every 3rd day. its a hobby, enjoy it and take care of it : ) When i medicate my tank for w.e reason, i do use carbon after to suck out the meds.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a UV and wouldn't want to on my system.

I want the suspended bacteria to stay alive in the water until either they are removed somehow (say, skimming) or eaten by organisms.

One of the main reasons I used organic carbon (vinegar) was to increase bacteria for filter feeders. I can't see a reason to both kill them and try to increase them at the same time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Newreef1. just wanted to say that UV doesnt kill bacteria. Its sterilizes and maintain a low minimal level of the bad stuff. As for clear water goes, i dont see the difference in my tank. Maybe i feed to much nori haha

Why do you believe a UV doesn't kill bacteria?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needed, no. Nice to have, yes.

A properly sized UV is a great thing to have for when you need it. But I wouldnt run it all the time unless you have an active outbreak of something.

Adding a new fish, bacterial blooms, diatoms. UV ON.

You dont need a skimmer, or filter socks, or even a sump. But they make things easier. A UV is just another level of that.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used to run chemipure when i had freshwater. i dont mess w / that stuff anymore. i change out filters every 3rd day. its a hobby, enjoy it and take care of it : ) When i medicate my tank for w.e reason, i do use carbon after to suck out the meds.
I feel like the filters don’t get very small/microscopic debris which along with algae over time causes the greenish tint. I tried different types of media pads and stuff to all filter out the water better, I had clean clear water BUT with a green yellow tint. The chemipure carbon with the resin just helps clean the water better I think. I guess it’s each individuals choice for me if something makes the task easier and the water better (both aesthetically and health wise) for my fish I’m all for it, that’s why I was thinking of a UV, it’s just another measure to keep things better for the fish, while making things slightly easier for me.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you reminded my of Luke from modern family. Im not sure man, that’s why I posted the thread. Either way it seems like a good idea, one way it “decreases” the parasites which is good because my fish will do good. The other way it “better” water clarity which is also good!

It may not do much for the parasites at all what my point haha. I think UV sterilizers rely on a bit of doing what they do because someone wishes them to work that way. It may also make algae worse in a tank. UV is like a bandaid for disease. It doesn't stop nor prevent disease. For bacteria or free floating algae, ask your self how often do you actually have blooms of pelagic bacteria and algae. All a UV likely does is destroy free food for the zooplankton and filter feeders and remove competition that would compete against rock algae.

Last edited:
Back