UV recommendations for FOWLR

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendations for FO 125 Gallon tank w Tideline sump holds 41 gallons, Easy set up and reasonable cost, Thanks

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just looking to manage pathogens/disease vectors then you can get by with a 25 watt UV in your return line assume you're running about a 3x turnover on return. You're looking for sufficient exposure to damage and with enough turnover (3x ish).

If you want to manage algae (includes dino) then you need less damaging exposure but at 8x turnover (because of the very high reproduction rates of some of those organisms). That will take about 1000+ gph in your case so will need a variable speed pump or two pumps to swap out and separate piping.

You can do this with one fixed speed pump but you'll need to go to 40 watt or a bit higher to ensure proper exposures for pathogens at the higher flow rates for algae and will still need the separate piping from return unless you run very high filter flow.

If UV is to be used properly and effectively, particularly on larger tanks then a separate flow path and a flow control really need to be designed from the start. However, if you're just interested in pathogen control (which is reasonable) then it's a much easier add-on and you can see significant advantages.

Edited after original post for clarification.

Notes - check the actual exposure rating on the manufactures information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just looking to manage pathogens/disease vectors then you can get by with a 25 watt UV in your return line assume you're running about a 3x turnover on return. You're looking for sufficient exposure to damage and with enough turnover (3x ish).

If you want to manage algae (includes dino) then you need less damaging exposure but at 8x turnover (because of the very high reproduction rates of some of those organisms). That will take about 1000+ gph in your case so will need a variable speed pump or two pumps to swap out and separate piping.

You can do this with one fixed speed pump but you'll need to go to 40 watt or a bit higher to ensure proper exposures for pathogens at the higher flow rates for algae and will still need the separate piping from return unless you run very high filter flow.

If UV is to be used properly and effectively, particularly on larger tanks then a separate flow path and a flow control really need to be designed from the start. However, if you're just interested in pathogen control (which is reasonable) then it's a much easier add-on and you can see significant advantages.

Edited after original post for clarification.

Notes - check the actual exposure rating on the manufactures information.
Thank you I want disease protection, Tank has good waste control ASM skimmer , reactors and flow rate w Chemipure and polybiomarine Polyfilters stacked media.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want disease protection you want the 40 watt pentair. The price difference between 25 and 40 is small.

They are large units but youi will be happy.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Pentair. I have a 25watt for a 187 gallon just to manage clear water and glass algae. I don't use it for disease. Works great. I clean the glass 1x per week. I originally ordered the 40watt and as mentioned above the price difference is minimal but that thing is a bazooka. It's huge. I had to return it. 25watt is a reasonable size. They are expensive but it's worked for me. I've used a cheaper brand with lesser results
I've bought multiple Pentair units on BRS open box sales...I see one out there now.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back