UV stand alone pump and return placement

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a UV I want to incorporate on my reef tank. It’s a 180 gallon display and sump. The UV will be fed off a dc return pump placed into the sump and simple return hose back into the sump.
I understand the flow matters for what you want to accomplish but aside from that, do you think it matters on pump and return placement?
I was thinking pump near filter roller area and return into the next chamber or return pump chamber so I don’t recycle the treated water. Will this throw off sump water levels or something I’m not thinking of?

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your plan is correct - UV supply upstream with return downstream to prevent cyclical processing.

Are you using the UV for algae control (high flow rate/water processing) or parasite abatement (low flow/longer dwell time)?

If low flow I don't think you will have any noticeable issues with the sump level. If you do you could bump up the baffle gate or just return the water to the skimmer section to maintain the level there.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your plan is correct - UV supply upstream with return downstream to prevent cyclical processing.

Are you using the UV for algae control (high flow rate/water processing) or parasite abatement (low flow/longer dwell time)?

If low flow I don't think you will have any noticeable issues with the sump level. If you do you could bump up the baffle gate or just return the water to the skimmer section to maintain the level there.
Unfortunately I’ve noticed some ich pop up in my tank. All the fish were quarantined a long time ago and I can only assume it may have come in on some recent cuc additions or some new coral. So I’m hoping a uv will help keep everything in check

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the sunsun UV work? I'm considering for dinos.
To be honest, I’m not sure. I didn’t notice any changes in anything positive or negative.

The ich in my tank has been so minimal I never even think about it. Once in a while I might see a speck or two on a fish.
The water clarity didn’t really change.

Not too long ago, the jabeo pump he gave me to use, seized up so I pulled it. The uv is still there but Ive not had it running now for a month.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back