UV Sterilizer and Copepods

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a uv sterilizer kill copepods? And when sizing a uv sterilizer do I need to get one exactly sized for my tank, like can you go too big and cause problems as in over sterilizing? Thanks!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in my experience. As long as they have food their population doesnt decline. I have a 90w lifegard on my 125 gallon. I dont think you can go too big, just temperature is a concern (overheating)

Jaredtexas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a uv sterilizer kill copepods? And when sizing a uv sterilizer do I need to get one exactly sized for my tank, like can you go too big and cause problems as in over sterilizing? Thanks!
UV sterilizers damage cells to keep them from replicating. They damage small things like algae at higher flow rates and bigger things (Protozoa) at lower flow rate (longer exposure time) you can actually physically see copepods they are absolutely huge on the micro organism scale. The UV won’t do anything to them unless they take up residents there then that’s a different story.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I run a permanent 18w UV in the display on my 55g I have not added pods in over a year and at lights out there are thousands running around.
A58763B0-6C1F-46CA-9102-5471D3628419.jpeg

Jaredtexas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably place it at the sump right after the return which would be after the refugium where the pods are. Where would you recommend?
Your return pump is more of a hazard to the pods more than any UV just fyi. If you have a healthy population that are reproducing and getting a good food source a Uv or a return pump would do nothing to there numbers

Scottydo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I run a permanent 18w UV in the display on my 55g I have not added pods in over a year and at lights out there are thousands running around.
A58763B0-6C1F-46CA-9102-5471D3628419.jpeg
Hi a bit off topic but wondering if you can help me out. I saw you installed a Pentair 18W UV. I have read the instructions and installed just about everything, however the instructions say (in multiple spots with underline and red and !!!) there should be a 4" spacer between the bulb connection and the next nut on the top, which we do not have. The instructions say this MUST BE INSTALLED in multiple spots yet when I called their (pentair) customer service they seem to indicate that it was optional. I also just spoke with BRS and they sent me a letter talking about a change to the setup but it is for a totally different piece. So anyways I’m looking for someone smarter than me to know if this is accurate or if they just did not want to deal with it? Did you have this piece on your install? Thanks!!!

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi a bit off topic but wondering if you can help me out. I saw you installed a Pentair 18W UV. I have read the instructions and installed just about everything, however the instructions say (in multiple spots with underline and red and !!!) there should be a 4" spacer between the bulb connection and the next nut on the top, which we do not have. The instructions say this MUST BE INSTALLED in multiple spots yet when I called their (pentair) customer service they seem to indicate that it was optional. I also just spoke with BRS and they sent me a letter talking about a change to the setup but it is for a totally different piece. So anyways I’m looking for someone smarter than me to know if this is accurate or if they just did not want to deal with it? Did you have this piece on your install? Thanks!!!
Sorry mate that is not a pentair uv it’s a cheaper brand called pond one clear tech.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back