UV Sterilizer - Beneficial & Why?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reefers,

Wanted to get some feedback about Pros vs Cons on a UV Sterilizer? Interesting to hear first hand experience of the benefits they have made to your tanks.

Guessing @Jay Hemdal has some good input!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, do you really want to hear my opinion? (Grin)
I use them extensively to reduce free floating algae in outdoor ponds. I also use them in sea jelly exhibits and touch tanks to reduce overall bacteria levels. I sometimes use them to irradiate water going from one tank to another. What I don’t use them for is side-stream disease control. Too much bypass and issues where the pathogen never even is exposed to the UV. I’m also concerned about people running them part time, or using woefully under sized units.

Jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, do you really want to hear my opinion? (Grin)
I use them extensively to reduce free floating algae in outdoor ponds. I also use them in sea jelly exhibits and touch tanks to reduce overall bacteria levels. I sometimes use them to irradiate water going from one tank to another. What I don’t use them for is side-stream disease control. Too much bypass and issues where the pathogen never even is exposed to the UV. I’m also concerned about people running them part time, or using woefully under sized units.

Jay
So you have never used them in a Saltwater Reef Tank? Do you see any positives in running them in a reef tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have never used them in a Saltwater Reef Tank? Do you see any positives in running them in a reef tank?
That’s why I was asking do you REALLY want my opinion? If you want to use one in a reef to protect against protozoan or metazoan diseases, my opinion is don’t bother, rely on a good QT instead. If you want to use one on a reef to reduce free floating algae and bacteria (not sure why those would be an issue, maybe dinos?) then it won’t hurt. I have never used a UV on a reef tank.

Jay

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I was asking do you REALLY want my opinion? If you want to use one in a reef to protect against protozoan or metazoan diseases, my opinion is don’t bother, rely on a good QT instead. If you want to use one on a reef to reduce free floating algae and bacteria (not sure why those would be an issue, maybe dinos?) then it won’t hurt. I have never used a UV on a reef tank.

Jay
Agree , I use it to keep bacteria levels lower / no algae making the water very clear . I originally bought it to fight Dino’s and it works

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an 80watt unit on my 400 gallon system with 100% passthrough by placing it between 2 chambers of my homemade sump.
I took it down.
All I noticed was at night when I looked at the tank with a flashlight the stuff that was supposed to be there like pods weren't present. They are coming back now.
I also run ozone and the two were basically doing the same thing. The water is clear.
I could put it back in 5 minutes if I need to. Adaptive plumbing is wonderful.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an 80watt unit on my 400 gallon system with 100% passthrough by placing it between 2 chambers of my homemade sump.
I took it down.
All I noticed was at night when I looked at the tank with a flashlight the stuff that was supposed to be there like pods weren't present. They are coming back now.
I also run ozone and the two were basically doing the same thing. The water is clear.
I could put it back in 5 minutes if I need to. Adaptive plumbing is wonderful.

Do you think the UV was causing your pod population to be reduced? There are three types of pods, right? Isopods, Amphipods and Copepods. I may be wrong, but I thought that only Copepods have a free-floating larval stage that would ever enter a UV system, and then, I'm not sure those copepodites would be killed by a pass through the UV.

Jay

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the UV was causing your pod population to be reduced? There are three types of pods, right? Isopods, Amphipods and Copepods. I may be wrong, but I thought that only Copepods have a free-floating larval stage that would ever enter a UV system, and then, I'm not sure those copepodites would be killed by a pass through the UV.

Jay
I had bunches, then they were gone. Now they are coming back. I don't know what else would have caused it. And the timing coincides with when I started UV.
I am talking about amphipods, fanworms, sponges and stuff like that. They weren't completely wiped out. The UV doesn't have to kill them directly. I suspect it just wipes out their food supply.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bunches, then they were gone. Now they are coming back. I don't know what else would have caused it. And the timing coincides with when I started UV.
I am talking about amphipods, fanworms, sponges and stuff like that. They weren't completely wiped out. The UV doesn't have to kill them directly. I suspect it just wipes out their food supply.
O.K., I see what you mean - the UV could kill off their food, I've not seen that myself, but it certainly is a possibility.

Jay

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., I see what you mean - the UV could kill off their food, I've not seen that myself, but it certainly is a possibility.

Jay
I am guessing. If I do something and see an effect I don't like the first thing I do is undo the change. That way I don't chase my tail going in circles.
I quite frequently look at my tank after it's been dark with a light. The reduction was gradual and not instantaneous.

I am pretty sure the removal of a significant percentage of the bottom of the food chain would affect all the tiers above it. Especially the possible population density attainable.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back