UV Sterilizer - Cade 1200 - Options

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I am currently setting up my Cade 1200 (135g Total) Mixed Aqua Cultured Reef with SPS focus and I am shopping around for a UV setup. I would like to tackle parasites mostly but have the ability with a DC pump to hit algae if needed. See my signature for the build.

I've seen all the BRS vids on Pentair etc however my one big issue is their sheer size! I'm seeing the AquaUV Classic 25w being the smallest so far at 20" L x 3.75" W x 6" H. The Pentair's are much longer...I had one boxed and sold it. I'm looking for the smallest footprint and obviously most functional UV. Price isn't really a concern.

I'm curious if anyone has used the FORZA FZ13 Canister Filter with 13W UV - 550 gph? It's rated for 150 gallons however I'm not certain I'll gain the benefits from using a UV if it's too small aka the 13watt in this canister. The canister is wayyy easier to hide out of the way and its more practical in size than a two foot long tube but it needs to work. I would likely strip everything out of the canister media wise etc so it doesnt become a detritus trap.

Forza Canister
Aqua Classic White

Any advice? Should I just stick with the traditional Aqua Classic 25w or is there a chance the Forza might cut it?

212469-aquaultraviolet-25w-uvsterilizer-filtration-fr.jpeg forza-fz13-uv-canister-filter-with-13w-uv-sterilizer-550-gph-48_large.jpeg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a fan of UV sterilizers to be honest... too hard on the good guys in your micro-biom. But if you're going down that road, generally speaking, I think bigger is better.

OP
OP
VermontReefs

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a fan of UV sterilizers to be honest... too hard on the good guys in your micro-biom. But if you're going down that road, generally speaking, I think bigger is better.
I've never used one on a system before and never had issues so there is a chance I may not use one. This is a brand new setup so I'm researching. Do you quarantine or any of that or do you do the normal acclimate and drop? I'm going the KP Live rock route so unless I really **** up I dont see dino's and other algae being an issue so much with my setup.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used one on a system before and never had issues so there is a chance I may not use one. This is a brand new setup so I'm researching. Do you quarantine or any of that or do you do the normal acclimate and drop? I'm going the KP Live rock route so unless I really **** up I dont see dino's and other algae being an issue so much with my setup.
I quarantine all fish. I dip all coral (also de-plug frags if possible) and hold them for observation and a second dip before they go to display tank.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some pics of your install? Are you using the 25w?
I'll take a pic tonight of it but I gutted the cades plumbing and have a pump going to the uv sterilizer then straight into the return and another pump on the manifold/inline probe holder but it's mounted vertically to the right of the tank

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I am currently setting up my Cade 1200 (135g Total) Mixed Aqua Cultured Reef with SPS focus and I am shopping around for a UV setup. I would like to tackle parasites mostly but have the ability with a DC pump to hit algae if needed. See my signature for the build.

I've seen all the BRS vids on Pentair etc however my one big issue is their sheer size! I'm seeing the AquaUV Classic 25w being the smallest so far at 20" L x 3.75" W x 6" H. The Pentair's are much longer...I had one boxed and sold it. I'm looking for the smallest footprint and obviously most functional UV. Price isn't really a concern.

I'm curious if anyone has used the FORZA FZ13 Canister Filter with 13W UV - 550 gph? It's rated for 150 gallons however I'm not certain I'll gain the benefits from using a UV if it's too small aka the 13watt in this canister. The canister is wayyy easier to hide out of the way and its more practical in size than a two foot long tube but it needs to work. I would likely strip everything out of the canister media wise etc so it doesnt become a detritus trap.

Forza Canister
Aqua Classic White

Any advice? Should I just stick with the traditional Aqua Classic 25w or is there a chance the Forza might cut it?

212469-aquaultraviolet-25w-uvsterilizer-filtration-fr.jpeg forza-fz13-uv-canister-filter-with-13w-uv-sterilizer-550-gph-48_large.jpeg

For that size tank you need at least an 80w Pentair if you wish to manage ich and the like. And of course ostrepsis if your unfortunate enough to strike that.

I have a Pentair 40 on my 75g. Don'td think a 40 would do the job on your size tank.

Bonus is no almost no algae anywhere, thin film on the glass once a week is all I see.

Wingzinco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a pic tonight of it but I gutted the cades plumbing and have a pump going to the uv sterilizer then straight into the return and another pump on the manifold/inline probe holder but it's mounted vertically to the right of the tank
How's this working out for you? I just ordered a 1200 and also have a 25w AquaUltravolet. You're running the sterilizer outside of the cabinet?

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I took the manifold out and ran the return straight from the pump to the uv mounted on the wall next to the ankle the into the return and I have a second pump running a manifold and inline probe holder

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back