UV sterilizer crashed my tank

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know if anybody else has dealt with this but I had a SunSun UV sterilizer in my sump and the wire exploded in the water. my wife called me at work and said the tank was smoking. I had her pull all of the Power I came home and inspected all the wires and found this one completely frayed in a couple of spots pretty much everything is dead. So just wondering if anybody has dealt with this.
What was the outcome?? looks like I just lost thousands worth of coral and livestock

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh I sorry to hear this. I was just looking at their sterilizer on amazon and think about getting one. I guess I’ll wait for Black Friday sales at BRS now with hopes theirs go on sale.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no! That is terrible.

OP
OP
Ryan Kraft

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away!!!
I had this happen last year also. I had it in with turtles so I figured that they bit through the wire.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That horrible.. I have been neglecting to ground my tank or get my GFI outlets installed, this is such a good reminder of why it’s so important!

OP
OP
Ryan Kraft

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That horrible.. I have been neglecting to ground my tank or get my GFI outlets installed, this is such a good reminder of why it’s so important!
I actually had a GFCI but it kept tripping so I replaced it with a standard outlet but inserted a grounding rod which I guess isn't properly hooked up

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a GFCI but it kept tripping so I replaced it with a standard outlet but inserted a grounding rod which I guess isn't properly hooked up

Maybe the faulty wiring in the UV was tripping it? Wish you luck, obviously remove all visibly dead inhabitants, a couple large water changes over he next few days and maybe run some extra carbon.. a lot of stuff is pretty resistant you may be able to salvage some of your livestock.

OP
OP
Ryan Kraft

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the faulty wiring in the UV was tripping it? Wish you luck, obviously remove all visibly dead inhabitants, a couple large water changes over he next few days and maybe run some extra carbon.. a lot of stuff is pretty resistant you may be able to salvage some of your livestock.
Too late... it started crashing about a week ago. All levels were normal and I have done multiple water changes. I was able to hopefully save a hammer,torch and some polyps. I have a friend that took them but pretty much everything else turned to sludge

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your tank. This is why I have my heaters to where the Cords are above the water. Everything should be on a GFCI breaker We had a Power head trip recently that actually Burnt its plastic around the motor block all in a split ms while throwing breaker. I have grounding probes in the sump tanks and One in the Main tank as well.

Please no more water and non gfci circuits ..Everything we use No matter the Cost will Fail . My opinions Heaters and UV Seem to be the most you hear about this happening..

Good Luck

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunsun sounds like a very cheap brand equipment.

Back