Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating between Pentair 25W and AquaUV 25W.

The Pentair has an overall length of 30" which is likely going to make me install it external to the stand. The AquaUV has an overall length of 20" which i'm likely able to route inside the stand.

What are people's thoughts? I"m not really conerned about the price difference.

Currently AquaUV 25W is $257 on Aquacave and Pentair 25W is $322.99 on BRS. AquaUV says max volume of 150 gallons and Penatir says 130 gallons

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run four 25w Aqua UVs on my 150-160 total gallon....... I would go over powered and get the 40w if you can. Otherwise I am very jealous of that Aqua Cave price on the 25w. That is a deal! 25w Aqua UV fits in the stand, that would be a big selling point

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GO BIG -or- GO HOME when it comes to sizing up this unit for your aquarium. For example, I run a Pentair 80-watt high output sterilizer on my RS 625XXL - 165 gallon tank and it's rated for a 600-gallons. The ineffectiveness of UV sterilizers really boils down to poor installation and incorrect flow rates, not really the equipment itself. The waters contact time with the UV light is critical for its effectiveness against protozoa activity. Install a gage or ball valve and substantially slow down the flow rate enough for adequate contact time with the bulb. For example, I run the flow rate of my UV sterilizer between 350-400gph as I prefer my UV sterilizer to be more effective against parasites, however the recommended flow rate is 2700gph - 3600gph to effectively kill bacteria and algae.

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run four 25w Aqua UVs on my 150-160 total gallon....... I would go over powered and get the 40w if you can. Otherwise I am very jealous of that Aqua Cave price on the 25w. That is a deal! 25w Aqua UV fits in the stand, that would be a big selling point
Appreciate the info. I love the idea of the Pentair 40w but its 43.75" long which is huge and. I haven't heard anything bad about AquaUV products and i do like the idea of keeping it in the tank because its less plumbing to do

Correction AquaUV 25W is $270

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the Aqua UV on their site for $250 or so. The one without the “wiper”

None of mine have the wiper..... Not only am I not sure what it does, it seems the reviews suggest it is better to NOT have it

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GO BIG -or- GO HOME when it comes to sizing up this unit for your aquarium. For example, I run a Pentair 80-watt high output sterilizer on my RS 625XXL - 165 gallon tank and it's rated for a 600-gallons. The ineffectiveness of UV sterilizers really boils down to poor installation and incorrect flow rates, not really the equipment itself. The waters contact time with the UV light is critical for its effectiveness against protozoa activity. Install a gage or ball valve and substantially slow down the flow rate enough for adequate contact time with the bulb. For example, I run the flow rate of my UV sterilizer between 350-400gph as I prefer my UV sterilizer to be more effective against parasites, however the recommended flow rate is 2700gph - 3600gph to effectively kill bacteria and algae.
Appreciate the information. I'm mainly buying it to prevent algae but yes am aware of reducing flow rate to kill bacteria/viruses. I"m planning on pluming in my 1" return powered by a Neptune COR-20. The issue about going to big is that you have to have much higher flow rates to kill algae like you mentioned.

This is my current sump layout with 1" manifold return right now.

KW RSR XL425 v3 Sump Layout.jpg

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the Aqua UV on their site for $250 or so. The one without the “wiper”

None of mine have the wiper..... Not only am I not sure what it does, it seems the reviews suggest it is better to NOT have it
Agree that i wouldn't purchase the one with the wiper. Less things to go wrong.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine plumbed into a dedicated pump. I can decide when to turn off flow etc.

If you have it plumbed to a return, and you turn your return off to feed for example, you have to turn off the UV. You always want flow through the UV when it is on.

If I want to turn my UV on/off in the summer (for temp purposes etc, although they have been on 24/7 since install) I can just flick a switch on the power strip, or connect them to my EB8 which currently I don’t use!

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine plumbed into a dedicated pump. I can decide when to turn off flow etc.

If you have it plumbed to a return, and you turn your return off to feed for example, you have to turn off the UV. You always want flow through the UV when it is on.

If I want to turn my UV on/off in the summer (for temp purposes etc, although they have been on 24/7 since install) I can just flick a switch on the power strip, or connect them to my EB8 which currently I don’t use!
Couldn't you simply program your apex in feed mode to turn off return pump and UV at the same time? I appreciate the information as seems others use dedicated pump, just means i have to get another pump and power another thing.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use my EB8 currently for anything because I honestly don’t know how! It seems like that would work though. I would love for my tank to be more user-friendly

OP
OP
krakenwrangler

krakenwrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to thank everyone for their comments and close the thread since I've purchased the Aqua UV 25W.

Back