UV Sterilizer install??

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how to plumb a uv my self. My tank only has one return hole drilled in the bottom of it. I'm thinking of running 2 pumps (cor20 for main tank and cor15 for UV) can I run it like this pic or will I have back flow issues.
Just run off your COR20 as recommended typically by UV makers, you can bypass and service your UV anytime. Personally, I've added a flow sensor after the UV to dial it in.

emperor aquatics suggested setup.jpg

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't have issues with back flow in the circled area?

Attachments

• emperor aquatics suggested setup~2.jpg
    emperor aquatics suggested setup~2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 222

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't have issues with back flow in the circled area?
No, that's a check valve to prevent siphon in case of return pump/power failure. You adjust the flow through the UV by adjusting the gate valve between the UV input and UV output.
The more you open the gate valve, the less flow forced through the UV and the more flow bypassed.

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that's a check valve to prevent siphon in case of return pump/power failure. You adjust the flow through the UV by adjusting the gate valve between the UV input and UV output.
The more you open the gate valve, the less flow forced through the UV and the more flow bypassed.
Gotcha I think that makes sense now.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would keep the bypass valve shut and channel 100% of the return water though UV and limit the flow via COR20, so none of the protozoa gets scot free.

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would keep the bypass valve shut and channel 100% of the return water though UV and limit the flow via COR20, so none of the protozoa gets scot free.
Only issue is the flow rate for protozoa for the unit I'm looking at is around 80gph so that would be pretty low to feed the whole tank

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue is the flow rate for protozoa for the unit I'm looking at is around 80gph so that would be pretty low to feed the whole tank
Yes, I reckoned that too, that's why I'd gone with a larger unit DD80W for my RSR500P (120G)... with that I get 3x the turnover of my total water volume, which is plenty retention time for my sump to properly process the water. Also the drained water from DT is perfect from my ATS.

solaractive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same one, installed it this past weekend. I utilized a separate pump in the skimmer chamber for intake and have it discharging next to the return pump. All 3/4 piping. It’s horizontal in front of the sump, similar to what Grill posted.
Hi. Thx for info. Question. Did you need to compensate for you setup by increasing both return pump output and overflow valve opening? Thanks.

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one of these in the 25w version. What size of PVC bushing in what schedule do I need to hook this up? I don't know much about PVC sizing and could really use some assistance.

I measured inlet / outlet with my calipers and got 2.376" ID, 2.759" OD, and 0.187" wall thickness. I'm assuming this will need a 2" schedule 80 spigot bushing...?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back