UV Sterilizer install??

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts FWIW.....keep it simple and cheap, don't over engineer to fix what's probably inconsequential issues.

Buy the cheapest and highest wattage unit you can find - they all use the same replacement bulbs which will be an ongoing expense. IF the wattage is higher than recommended for your water capacity, it will still be effective as the output diminishes over time, reducing the frequency of replacement.

Plumb it directly in the return line to the tank. No need to buy a second pump or add additional plumbing.

Run UV full time, why wait until a problem occurs?

Run at whatever flow rate you desire for the return to tank, don't worry about altering the speed to accommodate the UV.

I have read the various opinions/recommendations about flow. Some say it depends on what problem you are trying to solve. For example, the reproduction rate of certain bacteria that causes cloudiness in the water column is to double every 20 minutes or less. In that case, the higher flow rate will more than keep up with the bacteria population explosion and aid in water clarity.

Some feel that a slower rate will be more effective in fighting parasites. Likewise, algae in the water column can be tackled by UV, and since it reproduces more slowly, why use a fast flow rate.

In either case, the UV alters the DNA of single cell life to prevent reproduction.

I view it a bit like exposure to the sun's UV rays. If every 5 minutes of sun I get is followed by 5 minutes of shade, I'm still gonna get sunburned if I'm exposed too long. Likewise for the bacteria. If I have a flow rate of say 5 to 10 times tank volume per hour, then the parasites I'm trying to target are still getting exposed to 6 to 12 minutes of UV every hour while the bacteria with the rapid reproduction rate are still getting exposure before they are able to double in population in 20 minutes.

I can turn off the power to the sterilizer if I get concerned that I'm using too much UV (to extend bulb life perhaps), but so far that's not a problem. I can also plug it into a receptacle/switch shared with the return pump to make sure it is turned off anytime no water flow.

A lot of room for different opinions based on individual experience. In any case, I recommend the use of a UV sterilizer and look for the cheapest you can buy. Again, they are really very simple and most of the products on the market, high or low priced, use the same replacement bulbs.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts FWIW.....keep it simple and cheap, don't over engineer to fix what's probably inconsequential issues.

Buy the cheapest and highest wattage unit you can find - they all use the same replacement bulbs which will be an ongoing expense. IF the wattage is higher than recommended for your water capacity, it will still be effective as the output diminishes over time, reducing the frequency of replacement.

Plumb it directly in the return line to the tank. No need to buy a second pump or add additional plumbing.

Run UV full time, why wait until a problem occurs?

Run at whatever flow rate you desire for the return to tank, don't worry about altering the speed to accommodate the UV.

I have read the various opinions/recommendations about flow. Some say it depends on what problem you are trying to solve. For example, the reproduction rate of certain bacteria that causes cloudiness in the water column is to double every 20 minutes or less. In that case, the higher flow rate will more than keep up with the bacteria population explosion and aid in water clarity.

Some feel that a slower rate will be more effective in fighting parasites. Likewise, algae in the water column can be tackled by UV, and since it reproduces more slowly, why use a fast flow rate.

In either case, the UV alters the DNA of single cell life to prevent reproduction.

I view it a bit like exposure to the sun's UV rays. If every 5 minutes of sun I get is followed by 5 minutes of shade, I'm still gonna get sunburned if I'm exposed too long. Likewise for the bacteria. If I have a flow rate of say 5 to 10 times tank volume per hour, then the parasites I'm trying to target are still getting exposed to 6 to 12 minutes of UV every hour while the bacteria with the rapid reproduction rate are still getting exposure before they are able to double in population in 20 minutes.

I can turn off the power to the sterilizer if I get concerned that I'm using too much UV (to extend bulb life perhaps), but so far that's not a problem. I can also plug it into a receptacle/switch shared with the return pump to make sure it is turned off anytime no water flow.

A lot of room for different opinions based on individual experience. In any case, I recommend the use of a UV sterilizer and look for the cheapest you can buy. Again, they are really very simple and most of the products on the market, high or low priced, use the same replacement bulbs.
Thanks man, really good info. Seems to be split between running through return or through sump. Either way seems a UV is better somewhere than nothing at all! By the way i got a really pretty good deal from Marine Depot for $230 for the 55 Lifegard one!
RR

camelon02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't change your return pump, but you will not have as much water going through the sump chambers as before.

Think of it this way......

You have water entering your sump from a drain, then it goes over some baffles before being returned into the display. The only difference, is now some of the water that would normally fall over your baffles, is now beiung rerouted to the UV, but it is being returned to the return pump. So you still have the same water volume as before the UV, just some of it is being redirected to the UV instead of over the baffles.
@homer1475 - This is how I am also looking to setup my UV sterilizer. My question for you (and anyone doing something similar) is how are you controlling the return water flow into the return chamber so that there aren't excess bubbles produced? Or are there not any excess bubbles produced when it runs through the skimmer?

I'm just envisioning a hose of water pouring into the return chamber for the return pump to pick up with turbulence-like bubbles being produced. Thank you for all of your help!

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is how I mounted mine. I have the same model.

20201230_174420.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm.... if your skimmer is producing bubbles that get into your return pump, you need to adjust the skimmer. Bubbles should not make it out of the skimmer, therefore no bubbles should get sucked up into the pump thats feeding the UV.

I do not have any bubbles coming out of the UV's return line.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@homer1475 - This is how I am also looking to setup my UV sterilizer. My question for you (and anyone doing something similar) is how are you controlling the return water flow into the return chamber so that there aren't excess bubbles produced? Or are there not any excess bubbles produced when it runs through the skimmer?

I'm just envisioning a hose of water pouring into the return chamber for the return pump to pick up with turbulence-like bubbles being produced. Thank you for all of your help!
I’m not getting any bubbles at all from the UV, but I do have my flex hose about 2 inches below the water line in the return pump chamber so there is no splash bubbles either.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefrookie733 what did you end up doing ?
I am following this I also have the same tank and was wondering why (rookie question) cant I pull the water from where it comes into the sump same area where the filter socks would be, and return it to the skimmer chamber ?
Or is that like totally wrong ?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. You can get other colors too. I use them quite frequently.
Thanks! I have some blue pipe coming. These will make the OCD side of me very happy. LOL

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I have some blue pipe coming. These will make the OCD side of me very happy. LOL
lol...yup you can do a lot of combinations with them. :p

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how to plumb a uv my self. My tank only has one return hole drilled in the bottom of it. I'm thinking of running 2 pumps (cor20 for main tank and cor15 for UV) can I run it like this pic or will I have back flow issues.

Attachments

• UV 2.png
    UV 2.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 79

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how to plumb a uv my self. My tank only has one return hole drilled in the bottom of it. I'm thinking of running 2 pumps (cor20 for main tank and cor15 for UV) can I run it like this pic or will I have back flow issues.
Pretty sure you're going to have backflow issues. I would not run two pumps on one return line. Just run it back though the UV and make sure to put a check valve in the line so the UV does not run dry if the pump turns off. It will overheat the quartz sleevs, causing it to explode when the water comes back on. You need to make sure water stays inside the UV at all times.

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure you're going to have backflow issues. I would not run two pumps on one return line. Just run it back though the UV and make sure to put a check valve in the line so the UV does not run dry if the pump turns off. It will overheat the quartz sleevs, causing it to explode when the water comes back on. You need to make sure water stays inside the UV at all times.
Just run it back to the sump? I figured I'd have backflow problems running 2 together.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back