UV Sterilizer install??

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Wife bought me a UV Sterilizer for Christmas. I have watched few videos on installing it but I can't seem to find anything in detail for a novice reefer/plumber. (See spot run!!) lol Any suggestions?? The tank is a 200G Bowfront and has been up for about 6 months. Everything is running great, but I am at the point that i want to make it better, UV sterilizer for cleaner water and help keep algae out....etc.

Pro-Max UV Sterilizer Amalgam High Output 3 inch 55 Watt - Lifegard Aquatics​

Below is the link to it

Pro-Max UV Sterilizer Amalgam High Output 3 inch 55 Watt - Lifegard Aquatics

Thanks!!!
RR

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount it vertically, with the input on the bottom and the output on the top. This will eliminate the chance of having air inside the UV chamber. Also, take into consideration the head height that your pump will be pushing that water so you can get the correct flow rate. A flow meter can take away the guesswork.

That's a nice UV. I'm looking at that one (25w version) or a Pentair Aquatics one.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same model and wattage for my 210. What's nice about the Lifeguards is they can me mounted in any position. The input and output can be positioned in different configurations and it comes with mounting hardware. Excellent bang for the buck UV sterilizer. Like someone else said make sure the output is higher than the input. (enough so air bubbles don't stay trapped) I spent a few hours deciding where to place mine and ended putting it in front. Mine is setup for a closed loop, two 1" drains hit the UV then two 3/4" for the output. Good luck on setting yours up!

1.5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount it vertically, with the input on the bottom and the output on the top. This will eliminate the chance of having air inside the UV chamber. Also, take into consideration the head height that your pump will be pushing that water so you can get the correct flow rate. A flow meter can take away the guesswork.

That's a nice UV. I'm looking at that one (25w version) or a Pentair Aquatics one.
Thanks TJ
I was looking at the apex flow meter but it got really crappy ratings. Is there a different one i can use. I really want to set it up right the first time.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks TJ
I was looking at the apex flow meter but it got really crappy ratings. Is there a different one i can use. I really want to set it up right the first time.
I know that there is one for the Hydros system. The discussions pop up from time to time here, so perhaps a quick search on flow sensors or flow meters might turn something up?
I'm probably going to go with a 1" Apex sensor. Honestly I just need to know my flow rate when I get it going, to know it's still moving water, and if it slows down significantly. I don't really need a super accurate flow reading through my UV, IMO.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same model and wattage for my 210. What's nice about the Lifeguards is they can me mounted in any position. The input and output can be positioned in different configurations and it comes with mounting hardware. Excellent bang for the buck UV sterilizer. Like someone else said make sure the output is higher than the input. (enough so air bubbles don't stay trapped) I spent a few hours deciding where to place mine and ended putting it in front. Mine is setup for a closed loop, two 1" drains hit the UV then two 3/4" for the output. Good luck on setting yours up!

1.5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Grill,
Very nice setup man!!! I attached a couple of pictures of mine. My pump is external, thats why i was having tough time figuring out where to slide it into the process. Maybe after looking at my pics you can give me some advice??

Thanks
RR

Attachments

• 20200517_204642.jpg
    20200517_204642.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 20200517_204627.jpg
    20200517_204627.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 318
OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there is one for the Hydros system. The discussions pop up from time to time here, so perhaps a quick search on flow sensors or flow meters might turn something up?
I'm probably going to go with a 1" Apex sensor. Honestly I just need to know my flow rate when I get it going, to know it's still moving water, and if it slows down significantly. I don't really need a super accurate flow reading through my UV, IMO.
Is this the one your thinking about using? It would plug right into my apex FMM but just wasnt sure about the low reviews.

Attachments

• 210686-neptune-fs-100.jpg
    210686-neptune-fs-100.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 334

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grill,
Very nice setup man!!! I attached a couple of pictures of mine. My pump is external, thats why i was having tough time figuring out where to slide it into the process. Maybe after looking at my pics you can give me some advice??

Thanks
RR
Looks like your sump is behind the wall, should make it easier than under the stand. Here is my best guess.

UV temp.jpg

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't run it in series with your return pump, otherwise the return flow to your DT will be limited by the rate of flow through the UV. (If the flow through the UV is too fast ... or too slow ... it won't perform properly.)

Instead, run off a tee from the main return line, and have the UV feed straight to the DT. That way you can use a valve just before the UV to adjust and limit the flow through it without limiting the overall flow of your return.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't run it in series with your return pump, otherwise the return flow to your DT will be limited by the rate of flow through the UV. (If the flow through the UV is too fast ... or too slow ... it won't perform properly.)

Instead, run off a tee from the main return line, and have the UV feed straight to the DT. That way you can use a valve just before the UV to adjust and limit the flow through it without limiting the overall flow of your return.
Thanks for the info man, unfortunately im too much of a rookie to be able to envision this diagram. lol I got the part of dont run it directly after the return pump and somehow in parallel but you lost me there. lol

If it isn't directly after the return pump and teed off won't part of the water go through it and the other go through the UV back to the DT? seems like your missing part of the "rinsing" of the water?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info man, unfortunately im too much of a rookie to be able to envision this diagram. lol I got the part of dont run it directly after the return pump and somehow in parallel but you lost me there. lol

If it isn't directly after the return pump and teed off won't part of the water go through it and the other go through the UV back to the DT? seems like your missing part of the "rinsing" of the water?
flow diagram.jpg

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same one, installed it this past weekend. I utilized a separate pump in the skimmer chamber for intake and have it discharging next to the return pump. All 3/4 piping. It’s horizontal in front of the sump, similar to what Grill posted.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same one, installed it this past weekend. I utilized a separate pump in the skimmer chamber for intake and have it discharging next to the return pump. All 3/4 piping. It’s horizontal in front of the sump, similar to what Grill posted.
Can I see a pic of that please?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see a pic of that please?
D30ADC71-8721-4A4F-AC0B-0AEDA1502C93.jpeg

Not much to see, left is the intake, right is out. I considered hard plumbing but the soft was just quick and easy plus I can move it around to clean/access things in the sump. Not the picture of perfect organization but functional. I still need to throw some clamps on the hose connections but they are super tight and it’s not high pressure.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So

I would have 2 separate lines feeding into my DT? I don’t have room for 2 I don’t think
No you would only have 1 line into the display. What was posted above is just a "U" if you will, made with 2 "T" fittings.

T off the return into the UV with a gate valve to adjust the flow into the UV while not disrupting the flow into the display, then T back into the return line. The "U" goes into the UV, while you still have a straight line past the UV like a normal return line.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D30ADC71-8721-4A4F-AC0B-0AEDA1502C93.jpeg

Not much to see, left is the intake, right is out. I considered hard plumbing but the soft was just quick and easy plus I can move it around to clean/access things in the sump. Not the picture of perfect organization but functional. I still need to throw some clamps on the hose connections but they are super tight and it’s not high pressure.
So your pulls from the second chamber (skimmer) and "washes" the water and then goes back into the return pump chamber?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine plumbed the same way. I pull from my first chamber(after filter socks), and return back into the return pump section.

I just found it easier to throw another smaller pump in my sump, then try and split my return line.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back