UV sterilizer Optimization.

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy idea but would running a uv sterilizer at varying flow rates get me the best of both worlds? Say i ran it at high speed for algae for 1 hour and low speed for 3 hours. then repeat 5 more time everyday. Do you think it would be effective at maintaining both clear water and low parasite counts without having to buy more than one uv sterilizer? I ask because the one for my system is right at $1000 per each.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a sterilizer that manage to hold a low count of bacteria and parasites 7/24. The killing of the algae - you get for free. If your flow limit for the UVC unit is to low for your systems recirculation you will not get any full treatment of the full system IMO.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
W

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a sterilizer that manage to hold a low count of bacteria and parasites 7/24. The killing of the algae - you get for free. If your flow limit for the UVC unit is to low for your systems recirculation you will not get any full treatment of the full system IMO.

Sincerely Lasse
Yea defiantly won’t be undersizing.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they said. If you're comfortable with DIY, PVC compression unions from the local home improvement or plumbers supply can be used to make the water tight fittings around the quartz UV tubes. DIY also has the advantage of using the heavier duty sch 80 PVC instead of the sch 40 commonly used for UVs.

OP
OP
W

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they said. If you're comfortable with DIY, PVC compression unions from the local home improvement or plumbers supply can be used to make the water tight fittings around the quartz UV tubes. DIY also has the advantage of using the heavier duty sch 80 PVC instead of the sch 40 commonly used for UVs.
I’m actually quite handy with the DIY projects could you point me to any of the part to mention just as a starting point because like I said I need at least 120 watts and it’s gonna be like $1000 to start

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually quite handy with the DIY projects could you point me to any of the part to mention just as a starting point because like I said I need at least 120 watts and it’s gonna be like $1000 to start

For a 120 watt UV you can use any combination of smaller bulbs just adjust the flow accordingly. If you run them in series the flow should be set for the max kill rate at the output or return to the ssytem. If you run them in parellel matching the kill rate will be a bit more difficult as you need to diveide it by the number of bulbs and adjust the flows accordingly.

First you'll need to match the diameter of a quartz tube with the doughnut gasket in a PVC union. There's different sizes for each so it will take a little bit of time checking diameters. (I sometimes will use thick O-ring gaskets in addition to the doughnut gasket that comes with a compression union.) Once you've got a good fit, building the UV is a matter of finding the right PVC fittings and bushings to build the housing. I make my own bushings using a piece of 1/2" thick PVC sheet with hole saws sized for the inner and outer diameters needed.

UV bulbs are just florescent bulbs without any phosphors so they use the same ballasts and sockets. T5 UV bulbs with connectors at one end can run on the ballast a standard double ended bulb of the same wattage uses. There are also electronic ballasts like Fulham's Workhorse ballasts that will work for a variety of bulbs.

Be sure to use a stainless steel screw screwed through the housing to ground the water inside the tube. I use a little bit of PVC cement to help make sure it doesn't drip. You'll need to do this to eleminate the induced voltage in the water a bulb can generate. I've seen 70-80 volts AC, enough to give a noticable tingle.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back