UV Sterilizer Temporay Install

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw an ich cyst on my black clown in my DT. 10 months of quarantine. Copper, prasiro, copper, hyposalinity, and 6 months of all ths fish looking healthy with no new additions. Lost my YT in QT, she stopped eating. I think she lost her mind in a 20G high QT for 10 months and just gave up.

Anyhow, after extreme effort to keep ich put of my new 120g DT - it is now in there after just 5 weeks. Not bad... But I saw a single cyst - and much to my chagrin I know exactly what it is.

So, going fallow is not an option now. I have my QT full of fish in an effort to stock the DT in batches of fish.

So, ich management is now on my plate.

I am purchasing a 40 W UV sterilizer.

I do not want to tear apart my brand new plumb on my DT right now to add it into the place I lefft available for a manifold. I will probably hard plumb it once this tank is stable. Its only been up a month.

So, how do I plump this UV Sterilizer in a closed loop with tubing as a quick fix?

Gonna buy a .5 Sicce and run vinyl tubing in an out of the UV and in and out of the DT for now. Not beautiful... But I have enough space behind my tank for it. It won't fit in the stand. My basic blimp barely fits.

The unions on the UV are 1.5inch.. So, I'm thinking a 1.5 to 1 inch threaded female reducer bushings to fit the 1.5 inch UV unions. Then and a 1 inch male threaded barb for 1 inch tubing into that. That way I can unscrew it later to hard plumb it in..

Does that sound right? I want to install it ASAP... Avoid dino etc... And stop the ich early on.

Is there some type of attachment that will secure the tubing over the top of my tank? Maybe a newbie quetion... But I dunno. Need some advice before this arrives and I cant hook it up.

Thanks.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40w UVC can be used with Sicce 2.5. Using copper You take down the immune defence of the fishes. The UVC will take the same parasites without affecting the fishes. It will take a Year or so for the fishes to heal completely after the copper poisoning.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40w UVC can be used with Sicce 2.5. Using copper You take down the immune defence of the fishes. The UVC will take the same parasites without affecting the fishes. It will take a Year or so for the fishes to heal completely after the copper poisoning.
I'm not sure on this - I checked the flow rates and the flow rate on the Sicce 2.5 is too high to treat for parasites. The suggested flow is 157gph for ich on the particular UV. I worry that the .5 Sicce although with the proper flow rate to treat ich at 157gph with a 40 W UV wont be powerful enough to push the water up over the top of the tank... I'm just not sure.

I'm thinking about just doing a hard umm off the bat - maybe - But not sure how to check the flow rate is proper is proper with hard plumb. I cant just time the output time for a gallon... A flow meter... But thats anofher addition to an overcrowded sump - and a 2×4 foot area behind the tank.

Really just wanna rig this up quick for now - and worry about cleaning up the plumb in a month. Wanna make sure I get the right fittings - and can go within an hour out of the box.

Opinion on pump size? I think the 2.5 is overkill but I dont know. Also, I'm thinking about power and not blowing the breaker. Running return pump, pump for duel reactor, Huge skimmer, 2 Kessil a360x, and a 90w AI Prime fuge light... Occasional dosing pumps... I'm worried another pump and a 40W UV is gonma flip my breaker with all that going.

Upvote 0

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently there are big diffencies between UVC. I use the Deltec 40w UVC at up to 2000 liters per hour with success.
Thats 528 US gallons. For that flow a 2.5 is good. It takes Booklynella, Cryptocarion and Amyloodinium in my quarantine.
Of course the tubing will reduce the flow a bit.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back