UV Sterilizer

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys can you tell me if it is nessisary for a uv? Looking to buy one and wanted to know if it is worth the money and the benefits it has for it. The one I’m looking at getting is the
Aqua UV 25 Watt 2 inch UV Sterilizer and the have a 3/4 but I can’t tell the difference help would be much grateful

54FBBC54-71A9-41DD-85F9-A7F2ACEBB2E1.png

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary but will keep the water clear and help control algae. I've got that exact uv sterilizer but haven't plugged it in yet since I'm still cycling the 120. Mine also has a wiper that keeps the tube free of film buildup.

What are your expectations of the device?

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary but will keep the water clear and help control algae. I've got that exact uv sterilizer but haven't plugged it in yet since I'm still cycling the 120. Mine also has a wiper that keeps the tube free of film buildup.

What are your expectations of the device?

I’ve heard it helps clear water quality and helps reduce fish sickness

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? Try to go as big of a UV as you can afford for reducing parasite numbers

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them on and off for years. They help, but don't eliminate either algae or parasites.
Correct flow and subsequently contact time within the UV chamber is key.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV 's at the hobby level are expensive for what they do.

They are very good at water clarity, reducing algae and bacterial blooms.
They may control parasites to some degree, but will not remove them. It's best to QT any fish infected with parasites and treat them accordingly.

I use a Danner pondmaster UV on my system for water clarity only and it does a excellent job. Much cheaper than aquarium UV's.

For the money compared to the one you posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Pondmaster-02940-40-Watt-Violet-Clarifier/dp/B0002568Y0

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard it helps clear water quality and helps reduce fish sickness
As long as your expectation isn't complete parasite control. It will kill some as long as contact time is enough but the main thing they will do is keep water clear. It will have no effect on algae that isn't free floating in the water column. It just comes down to what you are wanting it to do.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your expectation isn't complete parasite control. It will kill some as long as contact time is enough but the main thing they will do is keep water clear. It will have no effect on algae that isn't free floating in the water column. It just comes down to what you are wanting it to do.

Algae blooms and bacterial blooms.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can’t say it helps with ich as my fish had ich even with a UV running. But it definitely helps keep the water really clear and keeps the glass cleaner. Before the UV I would have to clean my glass daily. Now it’s once a week if that.

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have cloudy water and a lot of diatoms out brakes will it help with that?

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 112 gallon tank Red Sea 425xl I’m having a lot of diatoms blooms and cloudy water I’ve had my tank up and running since May I did my cycle and I tired adding fish but they seem to die with in 2 to 3 weeks. I’m not expecting for it to keep my fish alive but help with reducing the chances of a sickness and just overall help with water quality

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 112 gallon tank Red Sea 425xl I’m having a lot of diatoms blooms and cloudy water I’ve had my tank up and running since May I did my cycle and I tired adding fish but they seem to die with in 2 to 3 weeks. I’m not expecting for it to keep my fish alive but help with reducing the chances of a sickness and just overall help with water quality
Are you seeing signs of parasites on the fish that die? Do you QT before putting anything in your DT?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish he would let us know if he QT’ed these fish before adding them to his DT. I suspect one of his fish brought something with it that is going to keep wiping out his tank fish wise

I did not qt the fish because I’m new to the hobby and my lfs said to add the fish directly to the tank to finish my cycle

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not qt the fish because I’m new to the hobby and my lfs said to add the fish directly to the tank to finish my cycle
Ok, there are people who choose QT and others that choose to manage when it comes to parasites and disease. A sterilizer can be a good part of helping manage but isn't a silver bullet cure. Proper diet with selcon or other supplements, water quality, stability.

My recommendation is to set up a very inexpensive QT but the choice is yours. Lots of great stickies to read about setting up a QT and all about the process/es that can be implemented during QT. Just know that your DT is more than likely infected and will require a 76 day fishless period to rid it of those parasites. You can use that time to QT your next fish to introduce and start fresh and disease free. Good luck.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not qt the fish because I’m new to the hobby and my lfs said to add the fish directly to the tank to finish my cycle[/QUOTE

Ok, that’s a start at figuring out the issues. Do any of the fish that died or are still hanging on have any spots or anything unusual on them?

In all reality you may have to QT and fish still alive, treat them with meds and leave your display tank fallow for about 67 days (3 times the life cycle of most parasites) to ensure no re-infection. You won’t know this though until you are sure of the cause.

If a LFS tells you to add a new fish to your display without QT I would recommend finding another LFS. Everyone makes this mistake in beginning myself included. You’ll get through this.

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They did not have any spots and they died because I would buy 1 or 2 at a time and they die and I would do a water change

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back