UV Sterilizer

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started the first time back in 2010 I started the cycle with a damsel (because that's what the LFS said to do and me being eager to get fish in the tank). Several years of heartache and disappointment and finally had a couple fish that made it through. I got out in 2014 after my first child was born. Got back in this February and have QT'd everything. I'm able to keep more finicky fish alive and now I'm almost done cycling my new 120 fish only tank.

Sorry for the story but it is something everyone learns one way or another. This time around I wasn't taking the chance and it is paying for itself even with the added cost of setting up QT's. I now have 2 QT tanks and my old 30 gallon DT plus the 120 that will have fish transferred to it very very soon (days away)!!

Just keep at it and decide, through research and past experience of others here, how to proceed. You can do this and be successful!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, assuming your fish are showing no signs of illness how often are you testing your water? Are you using RO water?

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between the 2” and the 3/4” is just the size of the inlet and outlet. The rest of the unit is the same.
The difference between the 2” and the 3/4” is just the size of the inlet and outlet. The rest of the unit is the same.

I don’t have a manifold so would I have to get the 3/4 to hook a pump and tubing up?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I use two of the green killing machines on my 240. They come with everything you need plus correct flow from the pump. They have been amazing, and I would never not use one. The reason for that is I have mostly tangs they are sensitive to ick and velvet. My tank is now probably just at 12 months old and I have lost no fish and I have 14.

I also have very if to any issues with alage and have not had any issues that are major. I have had a few small cases of cyano break out but only on the left front corner. No where else does it exist or even on the rocks. I have tried changing flow, Lower lights everything. The only thing that made it go away is a sand sifting goby. So correction I lost one fish, the goby he jumped out of the tank and went hard wood floor surfing. It didn’t work well for him, and I want another one but need covers.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a manifold so would I have to get the 3/4 to hook a pump and tubing up?

You can use either and just use reducers to step your plumbing to match whichever you choose. I went with 2" because I have a relatively high return rate and didn't want to choke it down.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 191 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back