UV Sterilizers, which unit to choose and why?

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chopsuey84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couldn't find any when I looking for the 55 watt parts

Every 55watt part is here

chopsuey84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 55watt part is here

thanks

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25w pentair on my 95g(total volume) I did not have an issue with it overheating. However I did notice an extended time in which the heaters stayed off not making them turn on and off as much

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I currently have a Red sea Reefer 750XXL i'm going to setup. Its 200 gallons. I currently have a Current USA Gamma 40 watt UV sterilizer. I feel like its just a standard or subpar UV sterilzer. But most of that is based on the bulb and the flow rate correct? Should I replace this with a Pentair 80 watt HO UV Sterilizer because that is a better UV Sterilizer? I'm getting it for a good deal so I wont be paying retail for it. Also I probably will be replacing the bulb and o-rings for it so thats factored in. Please give me your input. I live in Florida so I didnt even factor in the added heat from the 80 watt UV sterilizer. But I'm not sure if i should even upgrade to a bigger UV sterilizer. Should I keep the 40 watt Gamma Or upgrade to the Pentair 80 watt for a good deal? Thanks in advanced.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I currently have a Red sea Reefer 750XXL i'm going to setup. Its 200 gallons. I currently have a Current USA Gamma 40 watt UV sterilizer. I feel like its just a standard or subpar UV sterilzer. But most of that is based on the bulb and the flow rate correct? Should I replace this with a Pentair 80 watt HO UV Sterilizer because that is a better UV Sterilizer? I'm getting it for a good deal so I wont be paying retail for it. Also I probably will be replacing the bulb and o-rings for it so thats factored in. Please give me your input. I live in Florida so I didnt even factor in the added heat from the 80 watt UV sterilizer. But I'm not sure if i should even upgrade to a bigger UV sterilizer. Should I keep the 40 watt Gamma Or upgrade to the Pentair 80 watt for a good deal? Thanks in advanced.
What are you trying to accomplish?

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pentair 80 is bigger and better but it depends on your goals.

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going for Parasite control. I've got a bunch of tangs and I want to control/reduce the disease outbreaks. I've got a Gem tang, black tang, purple tang x 2, Desjardini, yellow tang, Blue Hippo. I dont want anymore outbreaks (Not that I've had any in a while). Should I upgrade to the Pentair 80 watt for a good deal? Or should I just stay with the Gamma 40 watt (Would just buy a new bulbs which is $50).

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the 80. You do not need to run it 24/7.
But you can if needed.
You cant make an under preforming one work any harder than it is capable of.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Badilac
Yes after researching over the past few weeks I decided to go with your recomendation and just aced the order yestarday for the Lifeguard 90W.

The information you provided along with other info I read you hit the nail right on.

Thanks for the exceptional effort you put into the thread.
Now you know you influenced at least one person.
Thx again

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Badilac Any Noticeable Difference as in increase in the Tank Temperature using a higher wattage UV Sterilizer? I live in Central Florida and was worried about it raising the temp from the increased wattage of the UV Sterilizer. I currently run about 78 to 79 degrees with the AC running on throughout the day. And I realy dont want to have to get a Chiller.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 110W on my 600g and yes the more watts the more heat. However things like ich hatch out at night when fish are sleeping. It makes it easier for them to find a host. If you run it at night and off most of the day. You might not see any heat issues. The biggest heat issue I have is the humidity. When high, temp in tank goes up.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Badilac Any Noticeable Difference as in increase in the Tank Temperature using a higher wattage UV Sterilizer? I live in Central Florida and was worried about it raising the temp from the increased wattage of the UV Sterilizer. I currently run about 78 to 79 degrees with the AC running on throughout the day. And I realy dont want to have to get a Chiller.

Absolutely. I can bet you will need a Chiller. When I don’t run a UV on my 300+ system I don’t need a chiller when I run the UV I need the chiller. I’m no NC and keep the room at about 72-75

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat is great news. 90W vs the 1200 watts I run sounds good to me.

Back