uv sterlizer question

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen that the install of one of tthese should be vertical and be plumbed off the return line from the sump into the DT. GOT IT ....

whats the difference between the above mention install method and say feeding the uv from a pump that pulls from the return chamber and puts the water right back into the return chamber?

1679755618749.png

Last edited:

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One ensures the UV to sanitize water that goes back to the display. The other ensures that the UV only cleans the sump water and what returns to the display is unknown.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO there is a potential for none of the water that is passing thru the return chamber located uv pump from the sump to make it back into the display?? how is that possible this is the reason for my question..

the return pump pulls from the return chamber as well, so really the debate should be the location of the uv exit hose correct? not the location of the uv pump which is in my return chamber right along side my return pump (for this thread only). looking for a saturday project to do

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO there is a potential for none of the water that is passing thru the return chamber located uv feed from the sump. can make it back into the display?? how is that possible this is the reason for my question.. the return pump pulls from the return chamber as well so really the debate should be the location of the uv exit hose correct?
I see your point. It does help if you have the UV plumbed to feed directly into an isolated sump area that has the return pump.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is the current set up.
blue is water into the uv.
red is water out and into a 1 micro filter sock. hanging dirrectly above the return pump.

what is the upside to altering the uv water out (red line) directly into my return line? (orange arrow) its a simple job, cut the pvc install a tee with a hose barb and BOOM ITS DONE..I left the uv exit hose long enough to do this. once i understood the why i should do that.

the con is doing this for no real reason other than thats what they tell us to do..... hahahahaha..

20230325_101017.jpg

20230325_101104.jpg

20230325_101038.jpg

Last edited:

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water out of the bag is dispersed across the width of the bag. Some of those will get sucked in by the uv input pump so it will never be 100% sure that the retuned water is always one that has gone through UV

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you define "those" thanks

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the flow of your return pump is greater than that of the uv flow pump and you are returning water from the uv in a sump chamber "downstream" from the intake pump then you shouldn't be recycling any water into the uv.

Imo, for Uv to be it's MOST effective you would want a intake pump and return in the display. I don't do this as I don't want extra equipment in the display. I chose to have my UVs intake pump in the equipment section of my sump, and the uv return in the same section as my main return. Water is not flowing out of the return pump section unless I shutoff my return pump for feeding.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, simple enough to solve. As previously noted, just have the output of the UV closed loop return after the last set of baffles (and that GPH of the main pump exceeds the UV closed loop).

Most of us put heaters in the sump and that isn’t a problem.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it matters if the return pump is pushing higher water volume. It is simple, if you put the output of the UV next to the pump, or input it will definitely suck up some of its own water. Even if you put the output from UV across the sump away from return, and UV input, it will still suck in some of its own water, thus recycling already sterilized water. Maybe it only sucks up 20%, however that is still reducing effectiveness of the UV, and will take longer to sterilize entire water volume.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME UV is way more effective when used to be plumbed to the return piping rather than back into the sump.

I went to that setup in both tanks and will never go back to a sump return or a separate pump.

Shows you have a big boy 90w uv, so you should be running a bit more than 240g through it.

I'm pushing 2.5x more gph flow on a 57w aqua UV brand sterilizer on a ich management tank.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good points thanks. yeah its a hosre of a uv.... go big or go home...

ok then. i can move the uv pump to other otherside of the return chamber baffles. solved. im not putting a pump in my dt...sump water is sump water reguardless of where you plumb in at right? return manfold or return line tee. etc...

the potentional loss of effective uv impact has be mentioned because im returning the uv water to the return chamber and letting the return pump put that water in the dt

wheres the loss of effectiveness? if the return pump puts the water in the dt or the uv pump puts the water in the dt. i see no loss effectiveness. uv water mixes with dt water wheter it happens in the dt or in the return chamber or with in the return line.. or am i not understanding soemthing here.

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this. ALL water leaving sump goes through uv. The turnover in your DT will then get full benefit of the uv.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hear yall loud and clear.I'm just not understanding why popular opinion is that water maynot be fully treated simply because one does not don't run the return line thru the uv. the water that flows thru the uv is Being fully treated. why are the entry and exit points of the uv a factor. this is one point of uv's that has never clicked for me. maybe one day that light bulb will go off. hahahha.

I'm surly not the only one that ponders this same topic. I have watched all the videos I want on the subject and there has never been a clear reason as to why the entry and exist points of the uv are important. it's contact time that rules the day. IMO

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, no matter what you do your are retreating some of the same water with a sump return. The uv is simply not as effective because of that.
even if the uv pump is in the first sump chamber or right after the filtersock chamber and the exiting uv water is in the return chamber?

i do agree with you based on my orginal photos/ setup above. but i have now moved the uv's water pump to the front of the sump and its exit point is in the return chamber... the uv i have is 48" long. so that long of a span is possible.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back