Vacation Feeding - Automatic feeder

zromano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, would love some input here. I’m adding my first fish to my tank in the next day or so (already have a cube set up and about a year in) and am a little concerned about feeding while I’m gone for 4 days over the holidays.

This leads me to a 2 part question:
  1. What type of automatic feeder would you suggest getting that would be compatible with #2 below?
  2. What type of food would you suggest feeding to a tang during this period?
Any insight would be appreciated! I have historically let my clownfish (x2) and my purple fire fish go 3-4 days without feeding (and they have been fine) but saw a thread that made me believe this is abnormal to do.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The most popular automatic fish feeder is probably the one from Eheim. You should be able to use pellets or flake.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are what I've used.
This one also has an adaptor you can buy.

I add Flake food to a container & then add 1mm to 1.5mm pellets, close the top & shake it hard to brake up the flakes & my fish love it.

Last edited:

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whichever you decide to go with be sure to test a week or more prior to your departure just to be sure there are no issues

My fish love new life spectrum pellets as well as the Neptune crossover diet. Both work well in the autofeeder

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whichever you decide to go with be sure to test a week or more prior to your departure just to be sure there are no issues

My fish love new life spectrum pellets as well as the Neptune crossover diet. Both work well in the autofeeder

+1. Great tip - use beforehand. You don't want it clogging right after you leave town.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back